What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Signing

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, at least we would get Kimmorley. I'd actually endorse Chris Anderson. It would be the clubs first quality, seasoned NRL coach. They can't continue to keep giving the job to "reserve grade" coaches. Yes, unfortunately Ivan Cleary falls into this category. I wouldn't bitch too if he and Kevin Campion were given the job though.

I just think the Warriors really need someone who has been in the top job for a while and has found success. Hell, I'd even welcome Phil Gould at the club.

Iafeta

Referee
John Monie was a seasoned, premiership material coach. It didn't work. I wouldn't have a problem with Ivan Cleary to be honest. Been under Stuart and Gould, and also been with John Cartwright who from all accounts is highly respected and should do a good job with Gold Coast, has won a premier league premiership, does have ties with good players, and does have a very good rapport with the Warriors due to his previous glory here.

With Chris Anderson you also get a flat style of attack, a lack of adaptability to change it to the requirements of the modern game, and a recent suggestion of friction between him and the players at Cronulla - the pros, you get players interested in playing under him, he's a former Roos coach so he's coached the best, he's won premierships with Melbourne and Canterbury. It COULD work with our forwards probably amongst the very best in the business at getting us going forward and a roll on, it certainly doesn't work when the play of the ball is slow.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Can anyone substantiate the rumour about Jamie Soward??? What an acquisition he would be. This kid has a bright future, so I kind of hope he doesn't end up at the Warriors.

But the Warriors are in desperate need of a quality stand off, so f**k his bright future.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Iafeta said:
John Monie was a seasoned, premiership material coach. It didn't work. I wouldn't have a problem with Ivan Cleary to be honest. Been under Stuart and Gould, and also been with John Cartwright who from all accounts is highly respected and should do a good job with Gold Coast, has won a premier league premiership, does have ties with good players, and does have a very good rapport with the Warriors due to his previous glory here.

Oh Please, John Monie inherited great sides at Parramatta & Wigan. All he had to do was not f**k anything up. Yes, he was a quality coach, but that's all I'll give him.

Yes, Cleary has been in very esteemed company. But I think the Warriors are in desperate need of a season top grade coach. Everyone since Monie has been a "reserve grade" coach. Daniel Anderson came very close, he served time under Brian Smith. Cleary could probably replicate that. But wouldn't you want to see what happens if we got a "top grade" coach in the mix again???

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
NZ Warrior said:
Ropati??? Come on now, TH. That is just ridiculous. The closest thing we have to a ball player in the back line is Toopi, but we all know the story with him. There aren't too many sides in the NRL with a ball player at the back. The best example I can think of is Matt Gidley.

???

The backline includes the halves. They should both be ballplayers.

Iafeta

Referee
NZ Warrior said:
Oh Please, John Monie inherited great sides at Parramatta & Wigan. All he had to do was not f**k anything up. Yes, he was a quality coach, but that's all I'll give him.

Yes, Cleary has been in very esteemed company. But I think the Warriors are in desperate need of a season top grade coach. Everyone since Monie has been a "reserve grade" coach. Daniel Anderson came very close, he served time under Brian Smith. Cleary could probably replicate that. But wouldn't you want to see what happens if we got a "top grade" coach in the mix again???

Regardless of what John Monie inherited, the fact is he still won premierships.

Depends who the person is and what they bring to the club. There's pros and cons with all the remaining experienced coaches available, they're all without a job for a reason. There's Chris Anderson - rebelled against at Cronulla, Warren Ryan - I doubt even remotely interested, Gus Gould - in a cushy job won't leave Channel 9, who else is there? David Waite perhaps?

I'd like to see what Cleary has to offer. He has a lot of pros for mine.

Lego_Man

First Grade
I think Chris Anderson would be pretty detrimental to the team culture...

Part of the reason for his failure at Cronulla was due to his favouritism of an elite clique of players, and the fact that he pretty much only paid attention to those players - at the expense of the young and up and comers in the side. This led to a lot of internal conflict, with half of the players unhappy. The result was a crap team culture and events such as the Preston Campbell debacle.

Combine this with the fact that he's an unknown quantity with regard to connecting with our Polynesian players, the fact that he's not even coaching League anymore (he's coaching Union, and doing a sh*t job), and you have a pretty high-risk signing for Head Coach.

dazza

Staff member
NZ Warrior said:
Can anyone substantiate the rumour about Jamie Soward??? What an acquisition he would be. This kid has a bright future, so I kind of hope he doesn't end up at the Warriors.

But the Warriors are in desperate need of a quality stand off, so f**k his bright future.

where did you hear that nz warrior?

cheers dazza

He is rumoured to have told his manager to look if the Warriors are interested. Has playeed under Cleary and with the Roosters signing Anasta he wont get game time with them

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Hopefully the Warriors are interested. I'd be ready to crack heads with a base ball bat if they weren't.

I heard of this rumour from nzwarriors.com, dazza. Where a Mad Maori runs the show and there are lots of Todd Byrne luvas.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Soward would be a brilliant signing!!

Im happy with the Luck signing, not the position i'd be looking at, but im happy none-the-less.

dazza

Staff member
i haven`t really seen soward play much this year. not a big roosters fan.

but from what people are saying about him, he may be a good signing, IF he comes.

cheers dazza