What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Perth Red

Post Whore
Japan has an insane amount of money tied up in Union, the teams over there are basically Corporate vanity teams. It why you see recently high profile players (including the likes of Joey Manu) take sabbaticals to cash in- it’d be tough for League to muscle in on that
Ive always thought RL needs to look at countries where there are physically the traits to make it in RL. NZ and PI are so prevalent in RL due to their natural physiques that's suited to a power game like RL.

Place like Scandinavia, Germany, Balkans, Caribbean, American-Afro-Caribbeans etc would be places with natural physique's to be successful in RL Id have thought?

Japan has the money but hardly the physical size in any great numbers for RL.

Canard

Immortal
Union is big but where Union is trending as a sport needs to be decoupled from nation pride
Why?

If its the biggest sport in that region or nation, then its generating the most revenue, most TV monies, most merchandise, most juniors etc. etc.

Wb1234

Referee
As others have said christchurch is probably overtaking Perth now for team 19

the arlc should announce both this year for staggered entry

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why?

If its the biggest sport in that region or nation, then its generating the most revenue, most TV monies, most merchandise, most juniors etc. etc.
Unions always been driven by international comp over club comp. Many would argue part of unions problem now in Australasia is they tried to take NRL on at the club comp game instead of sticking in their lane and maximizing their international presence and national interest. There's only really soccer that has managed to have massive club competitions and massive international competitions. Most other sports tend to be one or the other.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As others have said christchurch is probably overtaking Perth now for team 19

the arlc should announce both this year for staggered entry
I think thats a bit presumptuous as a big part of the decision will come down to financial security. At the moment christchurch hasnt shown much. I thin people are getting carried away by the 'Wahs' hype and short time success theve had for little over a year. For most of the last 30 years NZ1 has been pretty avg to poor. Lets see if this momentum keeps building or is a flash in the pan Id say.

If PNG is a must for NRL then ideally we'd see a 3 club admission over next 9 years or so. Perth and Christchurch over next 6 years then PNG when they have all the pieces in place to be viable based in Port Moresby. I have the horrible feeling they are going to rush PNG in, base them in Australia and it being a bit of sht show becasue they havent spent the time building the club properly.

Ive always thought RL needs to look at countries where there are physically the traits to make it in RL. NZ and PI are so prevalent in RL due to their natural physiques that's suited to a power game like RL.

Place like Scandinavia, Germany, Balkans, Caribbean, American-Afro-Caribbeans etc would be places with natural physique's to be successful in RL Id have thought?

South Africa too. The typical Afrikaan human has his own gravitational pull and there's no shortage of fast twitch fibres amongst black South Africans. And, at the risk of over generalising, they dont mind confrontation...

Getting a foothold there would be a generational exercise though. They have almost as much history and national identity tied into RU as NZ does, but virtually no RL history to build off.

How much does RL in Perth tap into the SA ex-pat community there?

Wb1234

Referee
I think thats a bit presumptuous as a big part of the decision will come down to financial security. At the moment christchurch hasnt shown much. I thin people are getting carried away by the 'Wahs' hype and short time success theve had for little over a year. For most of the last 30 years NZ1 has been pretty avg to poor. Lets see if this momentum keeps building or is a flash in the pan Id say.

If PNG is a must for NRL then ideally we'd see a 3 club admission over next 9 years or so. Perth and Christchurch over next 6 years then PNG when they have all the pieces in place to be viable based in Port Moresby. I have the horrible feeling they are going to rush PNG in, base them in Australia and it being a bit of sht show becasue they havent spent the time building the club properly.
Super rugby used to be popular

Matiunz

Juniors

They may not have the talent but they’ve got the money.
The likes of South Africa and France have to potential to dominate league if it were able to flourish there.
There’s also a couple of emerging Union nations like Georgia and Romania that have potential also

Perth Red

Post Whore
South Africa too. The typical Afrikaan human has his own gravitational pull and there's no shortage of fast twitch fibres amongst black South Africans. And, at the risk of over generalising, they dont mind confrontation...

Getting a foothold there would be a generational exercise though. They have almost as much history and national identity tied into RU as NZ does, but virtually no RL history to build off.

How much does RL in Perth tap into the SA ex-pat community there?
Very little I suspect, why would SA's be interested in RL in Perth?
The ARL did have its sights on Sth Africa at one time and it seems intended to use the Western reds as the spring board for that in the early 90's. Before the Reds entered the comp they were already touring Sth Africa. The early 90's gave real hope for the game in South Africa, then in true RL style it just disappeared again.

reds sa.jpg

final say

Juniors
Very little I suspect, why would SA's be interested in RL in Perth?
The ARL did have its sights on Sth Africa at one time and it seems intended to use the Western reds as the spring board for that in the early 90's. Before the Reds entered the comp they were already touring Sth Africa. The early 90's gave real hope for the game in South Africa, then in true RL style it just disappeared again.

View attachment 86704
NZ thread...

Billythekid

First Grade
IMO arguing about whether Perth or NZ2 should be 19th or 20th in terms of when they arrive is pointless. I think it's far more important that whichever order we choose to have new clubs that we build a roadmap and give the clubs plenty of time to get their affairs in order. Give them a few years to get their juniors, administration, financials etc all straightened out and to even start getting fans ready for the new team.

final say

Juniors
IMO arguing about whether Perth or NZ2 should be 19th or 20th in terms of when they arrive is pointless. I think it's far more important that whichever order we choose to have new clubs that we build a roadmap and give the clubs plenty of time to get their affairs in order. Give them a few years to get their juniors, administration, financials etc all straightened out and to even start getting fans ready for the new team.
That's right. NZ 2 will need at least until 2026 and Perth 2036

Perth Red

Post Whore
Id love to see a 4-5 year lead in for Perth. Restart SG ball, get a jersey flegg up and running then a NSW cup side. Also give the WA Govt time to build us a CofE and a new HBF park west stand. Get membership base built up, we could get to 20k by KO date easily.

That would be ideal but it isnt the NRL way.

Christchurch no idea what lead in time they'd need? Stadium will be open in time for 2027 season KO. Youd think it will be easier for them to attract players than Perth if they can convince kiwis to 'come' home from Australian clubs?

If their finances stack up then Christchurch 2027/28 and Perth 2030 both announced end of this year would be a pretty good outcome. Alas I think it will be PNG sht show and nothing else for a few years announced.

final say

Juniors
Why?

Sometimes I don't give you enough credit. It's a fine line between ignorance and trolling and you very often hit the sweet spot, so well done on that.
I don't mind the ignorance lines because it presents an opportunity to further explain things as they are for those paying attention. Then there's these obvious trolling posts where you haven't managed to find that line.

It's actually fun at times because Union is in such a precarious position that you guys completely blow it lol. Quick, trot out Maximus and Matua to pull you out lol