What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Matiunz

Juniors
Super Rugby is a dying competition. Businessmen bail on dying businesses. It's not impossible for the ARLC to convince the board members of the Crusaders and Hurricanes to abandon these clubs and join new RL teams in Christchurch and Wellington. Let's say the teams are called the South Island Kea and Wellington Orcas. With the ARLC annual grant being so high there's never been a better time to set up new teams in New Zealand. It would be a huge blow to the NZRU to lose key businessmen to their competitor.
The IP for those teams is owned by NZRU and the players are centrally contracted- NZRU isn’t going to just hand that over to a rival code.
What the difference in just starting from scratch? The grass roots and pathways are still a massive hurdle to a sustainable player base

Canard

Immortal
The IP for those teams is owned by NZRU and the players are centrally contracted- NZRU isn’t going to just hand that over to a rival code.
What the difference in just starting from scratch? The grass roots and pathways are still a massive hurdle to a sustainable player base
He isn't evening proposing the IP or team nicknames be converted.

Just the Administrators, and in his mind this will be as seismic event in the codes history as the 1908 NRFLU formation.

As if the NZRU couldn't suddenly find 8 other people to be directors in less than 2 days notice, and as if anyone in the public gave two shits about the makeup of a board when it comes to following a sport.

Canard

Immortal
This forum, quite rightfully, calls out Aussie Rules fans for saying dumb shit (AFL is taking over in QLD, Wellington will be a new AFL heartland etc.) then turns around and comes up with the most outlandish shit imaginable, and expects no criticism

mongoose

Coach
Are you actually on the crazy train as well?
cheech chong smoking GIF by Bong Appétit

Does the NZRU own the IP for Wellington Orcas and South Island Kea?

Beautiful isn’t it
FFR Top 14 is like the NSWRL and RFL Premiership is like the BRL. The BRL bankrupted itself in the 1980s trying to keep its best players. RFL clubs are doing the same thing.

The RFL might need to create a "Super League" with the FFR if it wants to keep its best players in England. I cannot see the FFR being on board.

docbrown

Coach
Paul Murray has already spoken against it on Sky News Australia.

His viewers. They vote.

Regardless of peoples' opinions on PNG, I think most sane people can agree that:

1. Sky News can go f**k themselves.
2. Paul Murray can go f**k himself.
3. To elaborate further upon the last point, I have no proof of this, but Paul Murray looks like a guy who has tried to suck his own cock. And I don't mean like when he was an idiotic teenager, I mean in the last week.
4. Paul Murray's equally pathetic 60,000 inbred viewers can go f**k themselves.
5. Let's not pretend like Paul Murray or his views are indicative of the mood of the other 99.9% of the nation.

Now let this be the last time Paul Murray's name is mention here.

final say

Juniors
Regardless of peoples' opinions on PNG, I think most sane people can agree that:

1. Sky News can go f**k themselves.
2. Paul Murray can go f**k himself.
3. To elaborate further upon the last point, I have no proof of this, but Paul Murray looks like a guy who has tried to suck his own cock. And I don't mean like when he was an idiotic teenager, I mean in the last week.
4. Paul Murray's equally pathetic 60,000 inbred viewers can go f**k themselves.
5. Let's not pretend like Paul Murray or his views are indicative of the mood of the other 99.9% of the nation.

Now let this be the last time Paul Murray's name is mention here.
The point was that there will be push back on the proposed funding of an NRL team and that's because " opposition " on either side will always oppose the other side..as is politics.
I'm not a an AFL fan but it was interesting to see that a new AFL stadium for Tasmania in AFL heartland for a new AFL team to me seemed reasonable...yet even within that state that is purely AFL heartland was met with such staunch opposition!
You can only imagine the opposition we'll face from AFL states to not only invest so heavily in the NRL but not even in our country...
If anyone thinks that this will slide right through once it's formally proposed are kidding themselves.

At this stage it's all talk, if it becomes an actual chance... it will be a storm on negative backlash like nothing you've seen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The point was that there will be push back on the proposed funding of an NRL team and that's because " opposition " on either side will always oppose the other side..as is politics.
I'm not a an AFL fan but it was interesting to see that a new AFL stadium for Tasmania in AFL heartland for a new AFL team to me seemed reasonable...yet even within that state that is purely AFL heartland was met with such staunch opposition!
You can only imagine the opposition we'll face from AFL states to not only invest so heavily in the NRL but not even in our country...
If anyone thinks that this will slide right through once it's formally proposed are kidding themselves.

At this stage it's all talk, if it becomes an actual chance... it will be a storm on negative backlash like nothing you've seen.
I think most Federal voters are pretty apathetic about such things tbh. The opposition to Tassie wasnt a national one about how much the Feds were offering to build a stadium, it was a local one at how much the tassie govt was putting in instead of prioritizing social spending.

Only way it even gets mentioned in an election period, let alone becomes a serious vote influencer, is if the media pick it up and massively sht can it.
Given Vlandys incestuous nature with the media these days thats highly unlikely to happen.

People are mostly sheep and will follow where the media leads. If people dont care we've spent billions in PNG already with virtually zero outcome I doubt they'll care if we spend some more on an NRL club that will be spun as being about improving education standards in schools.