What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie to Forum - Old Kogarah Boy

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
John King - there's a good player. Wish we had him now. My sister used to cut his wife's (Sandra I believe was her name) hair.
Met my wife at St George Leagues Club. Also used to drink at Mick Moylan's, Brighton pub, Georges River sailing club. Oh and the Seabreeze hotel.
Bugger me The Seabreeze Hotel forgot about that one.....isnt this better than talking about Mary and Widdop....well at least untill the season starts anyway

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Heres one for the older members re headquarters and the hill and outer
Carry a box of beer in on the shoulder, of course they were steel cans back then and they got a bit heavy crossing over Moore Park.
Somebody else would carry the foam esky with the ice in it which would ultimately get smashed to bits as the afternoon wore on.
Have a half a dozen beers (make a stand for the shortest bloke in your group or your girl friend to stand on) so they could see over the people in front of you, then in for a piss, then back to your spot on the hill 3 more beers back for a piss and then when the roar of the crowd went up, you would piss on yourself or the bloke next to you trying to get out to find out what happened.
How bad did the old concrete pissers at the back of the Sheridan and on the way into the outer smell?
The hill was always awash with ice and bits of white foam esky's at 4.40pm as everyone left the ground and everyone had a great day because we used to kick more arse than not back then.

Love it ot.
I remember being on the hill for 1979 grand final with a bunch of dragon supporters. There was about 5 bulldogs supporters or sould I have say berries supporters in the middle of us.
Mate what a great day with saints winning.
The Sheridan stand was rocking.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Mate remember it well...talking about standing on things my old boss used to go regularly to the footy and the hill and fairdinkum he used to have 2 blocks of light wood about 2 inches high and a leather strap across them and he used to put his feet in them and watch the game...he said it was amazing how much difference that 2 inches made.....true story
How about when a fight would brake out up near the clock and would progressively get bigger as it rolled down the hill gathering people up like an avalanche and invariably would spill onto the walkway at the front of the hill.
I remember a good mate of mine telling me that he got home from the SCG one day and his dad was watching the sports section on the news and called out to my mate to come and watch as there was a big stink at the footy and it would be in the news.
Next thing was "Son get your arse in here you have some explaining to do and you better bring your mate with you".
Then there was the racket amongst the car park attendants with hub caps.
Sometimes dad would get home and find 1 missing from the car and think shit how did that happen.
A couple of weeks later dad would park the car in the Moore Park car park and as you would walk to the ground there funnily enough were blokes selling hubcaps lol.
All very funny days.

kit66

Bench
I bumped him many years after school and after a bit of a chin wag he was able to recall lots of things, names, places etc yep a real decent bloke and a good and fair ref.
Carss Park, Cahill Park, Scarborough Park (lots of ovals there) nothing like kicking the footy into the canal watching 6 or so kids go in after it, Bexley Oval (picket fence and the outer ground), James Cook High and occasionally KJO if you were good enough all great memories.

I remember a game against Kingsgrove High at Bexley Oval and the opposition prop had a loose arm and I complained bitterly to John and he didn't do anything but did do a bit of a scratching thing with his boot.
I got the hint and promptly trod on the hand at the end of the loose arm at the next scrum problem resolved.
Stoney was a few years younger than me but he was well known throughout the district as he came up through the juniors.

Some great posts in this thread, bringing the memories flooding back. I went to Kogarah High, went out with a girl from Penshurst Girls High and played footy at all the grounds you mentioned and a few more. Most of the grounds weren't so bad but some were very rough, take the skin off if you got tackled in the middle where the cricket pitches weren't quite grown over. The best thing though was going to JBO to watch Saints play in the 70's and 80's or jumping on a train to watch them play the Doggies, Roosters or Bunnies away.

Welcome to the forum Old Kogarah Boy 1.

Drakon

Juniors
In the 80's, I was involved in a catering company and we were contracted to work behind the bar at Caringbah Inn and do a Xmas function for the employees. Serving drinks etc. I remember at the end of the night Billy Smith (who was a cellar man there I believe) drunk as a skunk, running across the tables. Always a larrikin!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Was in Melbourne quite few years back cant remember what year (Gaz was in the team then) and Storm were playing Dragons so my wife and I decided to go to the game, unfortunately being unfamiliar with the ground we happened to be sitting right amongst the opposition supporters...as the game progressed the foul language was getting really bad and I had a crack at a few of them but it didnt do anything ....sat in front of me was a Dragon supporter with his wife and 2 young daughters all decked out in their Red and White...after a while he stood up turned around to face the Melbourne mob and politely said look fellas I dont mind you barracking for your team but please keep the language down in front of my family....I might add he was one of the biggest blokes I have ever seen....this request also fell on death ears....till finally he stood up again turned around leaned over my wife and I and said to two of tne main offenders look I have asked you now Im telling you the next one of you that opens his mouth I am going to knock tne pair of you out.....and you know what not a peep out of not only them but the 30 odd other people sitting around us....we lost but jeez I enjoyed the rest of the game