What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newtown celebrates birthday

innsaneink

Referee
Happy b/day Newtown.
Interesting story how the name ''The Bluebags'' came about. They used material from bags that happened to be blue, from the local sugar or flour mill to make the first jerseys.

nqboy

First Grade
They gave me a fairytale to enjoy during my first year of watching Sydney RL seriously. Boring as batsh*t all year with Ken Wilson kicking them to victory as often as not before exploding like a supernova with dazzling attacking play in the finals. It took a good side with a couple of greats (Cronin and Price) and a few kids destined to become greats in the years to come (Sterling, Kenny and Grothe) to beat them.

Happy Birthday to the Bluebag Jets.

Flame on Ink.

Danish

Referee
nqboy said:
They gave me a fairytale to enjoy during my first year of watching Sydney RL seriously. Boring as batsh*t all year with Ken Wilson kicking them to victory as often as not before exploding like a supernova with dazzling attacking play in the finals. It took a good side with a couple of greats (Cronin and Price) and a few kids destined to become greats in the years to come (Sterling, Kenny and Grothe) to beat them.

Flame on Ink.

Not to mention a moron coach hooking ol' Tommy :crazy:

Happy birthday to the Jets (although I think "the History of Rugby League" has uncovered their actual b'day to be on the 15th, with the 8th being recorded in error)

nqboy

First Grade
Danish said:
Not to mention a moron coach hooking ol' Tommy :crazy:
I disagree Danish. The Wok got them there hooking ol' Tommy every week and then left him on there in the GF when he hooked Paul Morris instead in a surprise move. Inspired coaching I thought.

innsaneink

Referee
nqboy said:

Flame on Ink.

Awww...poor bunnyboy. :cry:

Did you get a thesaurus for chrissie?

".....exploding like a supernova with dazzling attacking play "

:clap: Very good.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
The Newtown Rugby League Club was the second club formed under the NSWRL banner (14th January) - though some members of the club insist Newtown was first (8th January). All newspaper reports confirm the date as 14th January. When Glebe was excluded in the late 1920s, Newtown became (and still is) Rugby League's oldest club in Australia.

http://rl1908.com/Clubs/Newtown-Jets-Bluebags.htm

Glebe are universally accepted as the foundation club and their founding date is January 9th 1908. What to believe? I'll pass on my happy birthday wishes to Newtown on January 14th.

Bluebag

Juniors
While some claim that Newtown was formed on January 14 the original minutes and I say the original minutes which are signed by Victor Trumper, JJ Giltinan and NSWRL officials are dated January 8. The club also holds NSWRL membership number 1 and Glebe number 2.

But the historians who make the claim of Glebe produce their minutes and how they came to discobver this other than a SMH report aropund the time.

We can back it up the others just use anectdotal evidence.

It was a wonderful day and thank you.

Danish

Referee
ShineDog said:
NEWTOWN.....happy birthday.
Maybe the 100th yr can be celebrated by playing in the NRL.

Easts already throw about the "100th year/season" line too much.....

We don't need another one!

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
Bluebag said:
While some claim that Newtown was formed on January 14 the original minutes and I say the original minutes which are signed by Victor Trumper, JJ Giltinan and NSWRL officials are dated January 8. The club also holds NSWRL membership number 1 and Glebe number 2.

But the historians who make the claim of Glebe produce their minutes and how they came to discobver this other than a SMH report aropund the time.

We can back it up the others just use anectdotal evidence.

It was a wonderful day and thank you.