What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next coach sacked 2024

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Up to seven candidates are set to fight it out for the Broncos top job following Kevin Walters’ dismissal, with Michael Maguire, Brad Arthur and Billy Slater understood to be among the contenders. This masthead understands NSW Origin coach Michael Maguire will be among several names short-listed in the battle for the glamour top job following the shock dismissal of Walters on Thursday night. Others in the mix for the Red Hill throne include Wayne Bennett’s former Brisbane assistant Jayson Demetriou, ex-Eels coach Brad Arthur and Ipswich Jets premiership duo Ben and Shane Walker, who played for the club.

Queensland Origin coach Billy Slater could be another option after two series wins, while his assistant Josh Hannay is keen to coach in the NRL after recently missing out on the Parramatta job.New Broncos assistant coach Trent Barrett – an interim at the Eels this season – is another who could come under consideration given his head-coaching experience.

But Maguire shapes as a bona fide contender after steering NSW to Origin glory in his first campaign in charge this year and his previous history with the Broncos coaching position.

NSW coach Michael Maguire is understood to be among the candidates. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers NSW coach Michael Maguire is understood to be among the candidates. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers Axed Eels coach Brad Arthur is another contender for the job. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images Axed Eels coach Brad Arthur is another contender for the job. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images In 2018, Maguire was on a four-man shortlist to replace Wayne Bennett and was formally interviewed by Broncos bosses before losing out to Anthony Seibold, with Walters and Demetriou the other applicants.

Now the Broncos could go back to the future, with Maguire having the hot hand after his stunning resurrection of the Blues this season.

The 50-year-old is one of the most experienced coaches in the code, having steered South Sydney to the 2014 premiership – breaking the Rabbitohs’ 43-year title drought.

It is understood the Broncos have yet to identify a successor for Walters. But the club must move quickly, with the Broncos set to begin pre-season in early November after their 12th-placed finish this year.

Brisbane Broncos special report

Just last month, Walters hired two new assistants in Ben Te’o and Barrett and it’s believed the duo will be kept on at Red Hill under Brisbane’s new head coach.

The Broncos board will hope to finalise Walters’ successor in the coming weeks to hit the ground running in a bid to break Brisbane’s 19-year premiership drought in 2025.

Brisbane’s top job is one of the most pressurised in Australian sport.

Wayne Bennett remains the only coach to have delivered premiership success to the Broncos, with Ivan Henjak, Anthony Griffin, Anthony Seibold and Walters all having failed to deliver a seventh title.

The Broncos parted ways with Kevin Walters on Thursday night. Picture: Liam Kidston The Broncos parted ways with Kevin Walters on Thursday night. Picture: Liam Kidston Contracted until the end of 2026, Walters was informed of his fate on Thursday night and Broncos chairman Karl Morris paid tribute to the club legend.

“Kevvie did his best over the last four years and it’s the toughest job in the world being an NRL coach,” he said.

“Kev will always be a respected and valued legend of the Broncos and he will always be treated that way.

“I feel for Kevvie. He puts his heart and soul into his job, but these are huge jobs and people don’t always understand the pressure of being an NRL coach.

“He had four years of it and we have great respect for his efforts over the last four years.”

Speaking to this masthead back in 2018, Maguire spoke of his admiration for the Broncos and said he would love to coach the $80 million powerhouse.

Now Maguire is a serious contender to live out his dream at Queensland’s flagship sporting club.

“If ever the time was right to talk to people at the Broncos, I would certainly consider that and any other opportunity,” he said six years ago in his four-way battle to succeed Bennett.

“I don’t know the ins and outs of the Broncos, but Brisbane are a club most coaches would view as a strong club to go to because of the facilities and funding they have.

“Ultimately, it’s the people involved in a club and the ambitions and desire of an organisation to be successful that appeals to me.”

go the Walker boys and get a new half back in Sam too

Steel Saints

Juniors
Geez, Kevvie was so close last year. Twelve months later, he is out the door.

Maguire and Slater would be the two options, however, Slater has ruled himself out.

Maguire would be a good shout. He does have trophies in his cabinet. He has won at Wigan, Souths, NZ and NSW. Sure, he wasn't flash at the Tigers. But he is not on his own in that regard at the Tigers.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Has there a quicker, more incredible fall from grace than Kevin Walters? A bee's dick off winning his club's first premiership in two decades, then he's gone the next year.

Daniel Anderson went from a finals spot (first in club's history) to a GF to a prelim then gone in round 12 the next year, that's the only comparison I can think of off the top of my head.
In addition to this Madge was sacked within a few years of winning a comp at South’s which just begs the question how has Ricky Stuart still got a gig??? He has been sacked from clubs, walked out on clubs, won nothing in 22 years yet still has a coaching job.

King hit

Coach
Geez, Kevvie was so close last year. Twelve months later, he is out the door.

Maguire and Slater would be the two options, however, Slater has ruled himself out.

Maguire would be a good shout. He does have trophies in his cabinet. He has won at Wigan, Souths, NZ and NSW. Sure, he wasn't flash at the Tigers. But he is not on his own in that regard at the Tigers.
Madge did have the tigers competing for the top 8 which is a high bar for them really. I seriously question what kind of coaching skills Slater actually has. Origin you’ve got the best of the bunch.
In addition to this Madge was sacked within a few years of winning a comp at South’s which just begs the question how has Ricky Stuart still got a gig??? He has been sacked from clubs, walked out on clubs, won nothing in 22 years yet still has a coaching job.
Think he was pushed out by Seibs not sacked.

MugaB

Coach
Up to seven candidates are set to fight it out for the Broncos top job following Kevin Walters’ dismissal, with Michael Maguire, Brad Arthur and Billy Slater understood to be among the contenders. This masthead understands NSW Origin coach Michael Maguire will be among several names short-listed in the battle for the glamour top job following the shock dismissal of Walters on Thursday night. Others in the mix for the Red Hill throne include Wayne Bennett’s former Brisbane assistant Jayson Demetriou, ex-Eels coach Brad Arthur and Ipswich Jets premiership duo Ben and Shane Walker, who played for the club.

Queensland Origin coach Billy Slater could be another option after two series wins, while his assistant Josh Hannay is keen to coach in the NRL after recently missing out on the Parramatta job.New Broncos assistant coach Trent Barrett – an interim at the Eels this season – is another who could come under consideration given his head-coaching experience.

But Maguire shapes as a bona fide contender after steering NSW to Origin glory in his first campaign in charge this year and his previous history with the Broncos coaching position.

NSW coach Michael Maguire is understood to be among the candidates. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers NSW coach Michael Maguire is understood to be among the candidates. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers Axed Eels coach Brad Arthur is another contender for the job. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images Axed Eels coach Brad Arthur is another contender for the job. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images In 2018, Maguire was on a four-man shortlist to replace Wayne Bennett and was formally interviewed by Broncos bosses before losing out to Anthony Seibold, with Walters and Demetriou the other applicants.

Now the Broncos could go back to the future, with Maguire having the hot hand after his stunning resurrection of the Blues this season.

The 50-year-old is one of the most experienced coaches in the code, having steered South Sydney to the 2014 premiership – breaking the Rabbitohs’ 43-year title drought.

It is understood the Broncos have yet to identify a successor for Walters. But the club must move quickly, with the Broncos set to begin pre-season in early November after their 12th-placed finish this year.

Brisbane Broncos special report

Just last month, Walters hired two new assistants in Ben Te’o and Barrett and it’s believed the duo will be kept on at Red Hill under Brisbane’s new head coach.

The Broncos board will hope to finalise Walters’ successor in the coming weeks to hit the ground running in a bid to break Brisbane’s 19-year premiership drought in 2025.

Brisbane’s top job is one of the most pressurised in Australian sport.

Wayne Bennett remains the only coach to have delivered premiership success to the Broncos, with Ivan Henjak, Anthony Griffin, Anthony Seibold and Walters all having failed to deliver a seventh title.

The Broncos parted ways with Kevin Walters on Thursday night. Picture: Liam Kidston The Broncos parted ways with Kevin Walters on Thursday night. Picture: Liam Kidston Contracted until the end of 2026, Walters was informed of his fate on Thursday night and Broncos chairman Karl Morris paid tribute to the club legend.

“Kevvie did his best over the last four years and it’s the toughest job in the world being an NRL coach,” he said.

“Kev will always be a respected and valued legend of the Broncos and he will always be treated that way.

“I feel for Kevvie. He puts his heart and soul into his job, but these are huge jobs and people don’t always understand the pressure of being an NRL coach.

“He had four years of it and we have great respect for his efforts over the last four years.”

Speaking to this masthead back in 2018, Maguire spoke of his admiration for the Broncos and said he would love to coach the $80 million powerhouse.

Now Maguire is a serious contender to live out his dream at Queensland’s flagship sporting club.

“If ever the time was right to talk to people at the Broncos, I would certainly consider that and any other opportunity,” he said six years ago in his four-way battle to succeed Bennett.

“I don’t know the ins and outs of the Broncos, but Brisbane are a club most coaches would view as a strong club to go to because of the facilities and funding they have.

“Ultimately, it’s the people involved in a club and the ambitions and desire of an organisation to be successful that appeals to me.”

Wow, news ltd has a hard on for Madge
So.....

Lol are the Walker Bros even still coaching? They never get a mention until an NRL coach gets sacked and the template options articles come out
I’d love to see the Walker Bros get a gig. I think it would be great for the game to see it played a little differently.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I’d love to see the Walker Bros get a gig. I think it would be great for the game to see it played a little differently.
Are they even coaching now?

I just Googled it and an article on Ben Walker says 'Former rugby league coach and innovator Ben Walker believes the majority of coaches in the NRL are lacking innovation and are playing it safe in order to keep their jobs.

Well, then.

I am 100% for innovation but do the Walkers have any more chops than 'hey guys, don't kick long, kick to a contest'?

The Broncos definitely do not need the Walkers. They have crazy talent, they just need a strong leader who knows how to make them play a style that will beat the Panthers and Storm, not one that will beat the Eels 64-2 in Round 19.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Is it any different, these days?
No one wins different, they win by having stronger cultures, with mentally tougher players who can front up and win the big games. Melbourne and Penrith aren't doing anything significantly different than the other decent sides, they just do it tougher, for longer, and when it counts.