What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next gen IN GAME graphics...scary!

dG

Juniors
Ok, so we saw the picture of the car in the other post that I was confident must be a hoax, but when scanning ps3.ign.com I stumblod across a game called 2 days to Vegas....

Check out these in-game screen shots shots...

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111814886.jpg

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111816792.jpg

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111816276.jpg

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111818510.jpg

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111819620.jpg

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111819042.jpg

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111821651.jpg

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111817901.jpg

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111815386.jpg

Mouth watering stuff!

Simo

First Grade
Does it say that is actually 'in game' stuff or just a pre rendered scene that you watch??

If I can walk those characters around and use them looking just like that then that is impressive!

If they are just rendered cut scenes, still impressive but in the end they are just cut scenes, which are usually much better than in game screens.

Simo

First Grade
Where in that link does it say it is from gameplay???

Be cool if it was, but I still have doubts that that much detail could be in game shots.

Imagine walking around in a GTA type game with those type of graphics.

I wonder if in the future there will need to be a stadard format for items that you find in games.

For instance, as systems get more powerfull you'll not only have better graphics, but you'll be able to interacte with the environment more. In this instance I'll use a wooden box as an example.

You have a wooden box, You can pick it up, look at it, smash it, put things on it or in it.

But there comes a point where the work you have to put into that wooden box takes to much time and the games companies will brush it aside because of that.

That means the full potentual of future systems will not bec used because...there is only so much you can spend time on to put into a game.

If you have a standard item list....this may get around the problem.

So if you were making say GTA: Blactown Station......instead of building a new wooden box....you take a file that has already been made for that wooden box off of a Data base.

The same wooden box would be used for many games because.....as graphics get better.....a wooden box looks like a wooden box.

Doesnt anyone understand the point Im trying to make? :mrgreen:

***MH***

Bench
you could have just said "similar to half life 2" nospam49, and we would have had your idea a lot faster!

Caged Panther

First Grade
nospam49 said:
Imagine walking around in a GTA type game with those type of graphics.

I wonder if in the future there will need to be a stadard format for items that you find in games.

For instance, as systems get more powerfull you'll not only have better graphics, but you'll be able to interacte with the environment more. In this instance I'll use a wooden box as an example.

You have a wooden box, You can pick it up, look at it, smash it, put things on it or in it.

But there comes a point where the work you have to put into that wooden box takes to much time and the games companies will brush it aside because of that.

That means the full potentual of future systems will not bec used because...there is only so much you can spend time on to put into a game.

If you have a standard item list....this may get around the problem.

So if you were making say GTA: Blactown Station......instead of building a new wooden box....you take a file that has already been made for that wooden box off of a Data base.

The same wooden box would be used for many games because.....as graphics get better.....a wooden box looks like a wooden box.

Doesnt anyone understand the point Im trying to make? :mrgreen:

Yeah I do get where your going. For example you have a tree but to make the tree to look realistic you have to put alot of time into the physics of it ie which way the winds blowing to make it look really real?

Well they are working around this problem for example I recall recently reading future consoles (ie PS4) may have processors soley for looking after the physics of an environment. That way programers can set the paramaters of an environment ie wind direction NE speed 80km/h. And then just concentrate on making the tree look really good graphically without going to the effort of programing the physics that take a good looking tree to the next level.

Yeah...thats kind of what I mean.

But if you take it a bit further.....

Now that graphics are so good, a tree would have ALOT more detail. Thats ALOT of work that at the end of the day....is just going into a tree.

Eventually there must come a point where spending time making that tree just isnt worth the effort.

That why I think they would have to think of moving to a standard format. That way, instead of making a tree for Game A.....they'd just take a digital version of the tree they have stored from a previous game that they would use across all sorts of games.

Azkatro

First Grade
I might be being a bit old fashioned here, but I don't think graphics need to be this good in video games. It's the same old story, the game can look as good as you want - it all counts for nothing if it's boring as bat****.

The greatest games I have ever played in my life have never been graphical milestones by any stretch of the imagination. They are just fun to play.

***MH***

Bench
nospam49™ said:
Never played it champ.
well, in half life 2

you have wooden boxes, you can pick them up, you can smash them and place other objects on top of it.
in fact, almost every object in HL2 is moveable! you can pick up glass bottles and smash them against enemies, kill opponents with oil drums like donkey kong and throw buzz saw blades like frisbees to decapitate zombies!

bulldog

Bench
nospam49™ said:
Yeah...thats kind of what I mean.

But if you take it a bit further.....

Now that graphics are so good, a tree would have ALOT more detail. Thats ALOT of work that at the end of the day....is just going into a tree.

Eventually there must come a point where spending time making that tree just isnt worth the effort.

That why I think they would have to think of moving to a standard format. That way, instead of making a tree for Game A.....they'd just take a digital version of the tree they have stored from a previous game that they would use across all sorts of games.

I know what you mean, and to a certain extent it already happens, companies purchase engines from other companies to use to make thier own game, it's been happening for a while, cuts down on dev. time. However it does have a down side in that it stymies innovation, anyone else remember the whole slew of unreal powered games? Thay all looked great but after 3 or 4 titles they all started to feel the same.

theicemandanno

Juniors
Guys, I know this is har to say, but be patient.

We all know that XBOX is better than PS2

However XBOX 360 will look like an Atari 2600 when compared to the next Sony console. The new processor in the 'PS3', along with the fact that the game will utilise 'Blue Ray' Dvd technology (the discs hold stacks more than the 360 discs) mean that the capabilitites of the PS3 will be far superior to the 360.

My advice....

XBOX 360 uses Old-Tech. Wait till 2006 and get yourself a PS3.

Copa

Bench
With graphics like that..... imagine the games that have "raunchy" scenes and interactivity...

Caged Panther

First Grade
theicemandanno said:
Guys, I know this is har to say, but be patient.

We all know that XBOX is better than PS2

However XBOX 360 will look like an Atari 2600 when compared to the next Sony console. The new processor in the 'PS3', along with the fact that the game will utilise 'Blue Ray' Dvd technology (the discs hold stacks more than the 360 discs) mean that the capabilitites of the PS3 will be far superior to the 360.

My advice....

XBOX 360 uses Old-Tech. Wait till 2006 and get yourself a PS3.

actually the latest repots suggest that blue ray won't make it into the PS3 despite what sony have previously said. As for the cell processor, well no one can really comment on that yet.

Hopefully we'll know more after monday with the pre e3 press conferences. But as of now I'm still having flashbacks to the overhyped emotion engine of the PS2 evertime someone mentions the cell processor.

From what Ive read.....the PS3 will be more pwerfull but you have to expect that as its coming out later.

I have a PS2 which I got the day they came out....and an XBox which Ive had for about a year. Before that I had a PSOne and before that a Sega mega Drive....so Im not one of these people that feels the need to defend their console!

At this stage, I'll be waiting for the PS3.

Caged Panther

First Grade
you would certainly hope the ps3 would have more power given it's a year away. Probably two from wide scale availability in australia.