What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Wb1234

Referee
Even then.

We had the 4 biggest markets in RL covered in the Prelims, I doubt any of those 4 clubs were less valuable than Souffs.
South’s grand final win was the most watched game in history if I Remember correctly.

it’s a big club

Iamback

Coach
South’s grand final win was the most watched game in history if I Remember correctly.

it’s a big club

Yes but who as a sponsor are paying extra depending on which club is playing?

Sponsors pay the same for Friday night footy depending on who plays.

Those same sponsors pay extra for the bigger games, which should nullify the difference if any on the regular season

Wb1234

Referee
Yes but who as a sponsor are paying extra depending on which club is playing?

Sponsors pay the same for Friday night footy depending on who plays.

Those same sponsors pay extra for the bigger games, which should nullify the difference if any on the regular season
This is about the club getting more sponsors not the game

but south’s winning comps would be higher ratings for rugby league which means more money for the nrl via sponsorships

Perth Red

Post Whore
So it should be. Other networks/services have gone backwards in the last 12 months... it will take huge improvement for any to be worth the risk.
Primes increased its subscribers this year and sits at double Kayos subscription numbers, Stan is also higher than kayo

prime has 4.5mill subscribers
foxsports and kayo combined 3.8mill

nrl moving to prime might generate more viewers?

Primes increased its subscribers this year and sits at double Kayos subscription numbers, Stan is also higher than kayo

Alternatively, kayo losing NRL might impact kayos long term viability (ie prime can take out a competitor and charge more for their subscription in the long run). I know after kayo / fox lost both rugby and EPL, I only retained my subscription for NRL. If it's no longer the case, I'll quickly cancel

Iamback

Coach
This is about the club getting more sponsors not the game

but south’s winning comps would be higher ratings for rugby league which means more money for the nrl via sponsorships

Yet the club has 1/6th of that figure at best.

So again, I doubt those numbers

Iamback

Coach

Prime's numbers can't be used in isolation.

They have members that use it for shopping who get TV thrown in, How many actually watch it is unknown.

What we do know is the NFL Thursday night games aren't any higher on Prime then other games or compared to last year.

In context.

Amazon paid roughly $60m per NFL game over the 11 year deal.

They sold it to advertisers as they will get 12m viewers a game ( which they are )

But with a population of 330m that still isn't huge numbers

BlueandGold

Juniors

1701813396260.png

1701813745170.jpeg

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Foxtel won’t lose the nrl rights

they fought a super league war for them

they have never had competition for those rights until now

they’ve paid over for the afl

retaining the nrl with Stan a genuine bidder is going to be costly

I can see a future where they can afford only one premier football code

with expansion to a 20 team comp vlandys has positioned the nrl for decades for growth

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully foxtel, stan, prime and paramount are all serious bidders. How much fox have in the kitty after shelling out for AFL so much will be interesting to see.

Wb1234

Referee
Hopefully foxtel, stan, prime and paramount are all serious bidders. How much fox have in the kitty after shelling out for AFL so much will be interesting to see.
Fox aren’t losing their number one product

paramoun prime or stan would see viewership shrink

super rugby and a league died when they left fox

Foxtel won’t lose the nrl rights

they fought a super league war for them

they have never had competition for those rights until now

they’ve paid over for the afl

retaining the nrl with Stan a genuine bidder is going to be costly

I can see a future where they can afford only one premier football code

with expansion to a 20 team comp vlandys has positioned the nrl for decades for growth

Yep, Foxtel will fight tooth and nail to retain the NRL rights because, without one of its top line sports, people will switch off using them. In many respects it is more important to its business model than AFL is.

Wb1234

Referee
Yep, Foxtel will fight tooth and nail to retain the NRL rights because, without one of its top line sports, people will switch off using them. In many respects it is more important to its business model than AFL is.
I’d argue foxtel isn’t viable without nrl but can do without afl

it would be funny seeing fox actually losing the rights for five years and Murdoch having to prop it up for five years

Perth Red

Post Whore
Itd be interesting to know how many unique subscribers fox gets for each sport? By my guess it'd need to be 1million plus to be profitable for them at the cost they've just paid for AFL and what we hope they will pay for NRL.

If another streamer got it I wonder if they'd just up general subscriptions or create a sports package?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why do people say Stan? Isn't it just Channel 9?
Stan is the PTV streaming arm. Ch9/Stan bid for AFL (allegedly $500mill plus a year) and would have shown some games on FTA on Ch9 and rest on subscription service Stan to drive up Stan's currently low market share of streaming.

Latest posts