What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

tumbidragon

First Grade
Who is going to be watching it on Fox...

That's just it. How is it in anyone's interest to have this game at this time? Fox won't get value because most ppl will be returning home from work, therefore no viewers. The NRL and clubs will lose revenue due to no one being at the game! Insanity if this is truly the proposal..

Johnny88

Juniors
Friday at 6pm is a gamble no doubt. I know super rugby always has 5 to 6pm kick offs from NZ so it wouldn't worry me id record it than watch it an hour later. Everyone knows Fox want a primetime slot if Monday is gone and Sunday at 6pm is a dead zone on Fox.
To give the FTA game back to FOX smells of a botched deal from the start. The NRL harped on about how fans will love this deal now they are going to strip it off the fans.
I would of thought over 2 Billion for that kind of deal. John Grant must be panicking about the clubs not signing the new deals.

BuffaloRules

Coach
If Nine bought the Sat night game as a purely defensive measure to stop another FTA Channel getting the rights and are now going to be allowed to "sell" it back to Fox, then that is a very cynical move that the NRL shouldn't agree to.

beave

Coach
A few years ago we had an early season home game against the Storm up in the 'ville. No daylight savings in this backwards ass state meant that the kick off was 6pm local. They had to push the kick off time back 30mins after realising that it was neigh on impossible for people to get home from work and then get to the stadium on time, Townsville is not a big place but Most people drive to the games as well as come from miles arouns (a fact that keeps getting banged on about) so you could see streams of cars trying to get in at 6:30pm as kick off was happening. It was a farce. The Storm are generally a really good drawer of crowds for us, was a little wet that night but from memory we barely broke 11k, I've lived in Sydney for 10 years of my 35 and I know what an absolute whore it will be to get to a game at 6pm on friday. If this media shit is true, than I have lost a lot of faith in the commission but as others have said, I'm taking this at the moment as New$ diatribe. IMO, 6pm monday, no matter where it will be played, will be an absolute disaster, way worse for crowds and ratings than 7pm mondays.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
How does slothfield get a draw? According to this we get significantly less money from Australian to, no expansion paid for by tv, less fta coverage and continued shty KO times for fans to get to games.

Hopefully this is very wide of the mark or we have all been royally fricked yet again.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Love Slothfield saying that the 6pm game (even if no one shows up )is better than staying up to midnight watching the delayed Nine game.

And here I was thinking that the delayed Nine game has already been brushed.

Did the $925 Mil deal between Smith and Gyngell actually happen or did I just dream it?

BlueandGold

Juniors
1.8 is poor if it includes streaming. If not with NZ and streaming it should be pretty solid. The schedule is rubbish though.

That number cannot include streaming or NZ and here is why.

1.8b - FTA925m = 875million

875m - 200m digital - 100m NZ = 575m Pay tv

Fox Paid 550m the last Pay TV rights in 2012, thats an increase of 5m per year by this estimate.

That would be 115m a year compared to the AFL's 260m

:lol::lol::lol:

No chance of that happening.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
When they say about fox getting the Saturday fta game, does that mean fox will pay ch9 for that game, or ch9 will reduce their amount to the NRL to give up that game?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
After 3 months of news ltd bullshit,I'm suddenly expected to believe what they say .
Lol

x1000

They had no idea about 9's deal.
No-one knew anything about the AFL's recent deal until the night before the very public announcement.
Last tv deal none of them knew about the NRL getting the F&L rights back.

On top of all that the whole point of the 4 FTA games is to give fans what they wanted and giving the NRL back control of the timeslots.

Grant sounded confident in his recent interview and the ratings say that Fox will need to pay up. Why would he or the ARLC agree to any of this?

BlueandGold

Juniors
When they say about fox getting the Saturday fta game, does that mean fox will pay ch9 for that game, or ch9 will reduce their amount to the NRL to give up that game?

Nine sell it back to the NRL i believe then NRL on sells to whoever they like.

insert.pause

First Grade
If Nine bought the Sat night game as a purely defensive measure to stop another FTA Channel getting the rights and are now going to be allowed to "sell" it back to Fox, then that is a very cynical move that the NRL shouldn't agree to.

Nine can't sell shit to fox, they have to sell it back to the NRL who can then sell it to whoever they want at whatever price they want and they won't do that unless it's substantially worth their while, which means they gain more money from fox than they'd lose from Nine. Nine can't even sell simulcasting rights without the NRL first granting it, which they again wont unless it's substantially worth their while.

Friday at 6pm is a gamble no doubt. I know super rugby always has 5 to 6pm kick offs from NZ so it wouldn't worry me id record it than watch it an hour later. Everyone knows Fox want a primetime slot if Monday is gone and Sunday at 6pm is a dead zone on Fox.
To give the FTA game back to FOX smells of a botched deal from the start. The NRL harped on about how fans will love this deal now they are going to strip it off the fans.
I would of thought over 2 Billion for that kind of deal. John Grant must be panicking about the clubs not signing the new deals.

f**k me swinging you're thick .
Every time news write some crap you go into panic mode .
Here's a hint .
They're full of shit .

insert.pause

First Grade
this whole stupid story sounds like another lame attempt to bully the NRL into a deal on fox's terms, which is why Wilson & Rothfield are the idiots pushing it. They already tried this earlier this year 'exclusively' revealing that MNF would be scrapped in a 1.7bn deal that would give the NRL their own channel. Then a few weeks later the NRL announce a deal with Nine. Same old tactics by a tired old News Corp who just can't handle the fact they no longer run the game.