What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Season about to start - Colts v Patriots

sunny

GO THE f**kIN' MIGHTY DENVER BRONCOS! WHAT A GREAT f**kIN' WIN! Griffin was great, Plummer was okay, o-line was f**king awesome, defense was decent, Smith good and consistent, Lelie made some important catches. 34-24, whoo f**kin' hoo!

OZ_Falcon

Juniors
Yeh the broncos had a good game, so did Griffin! I think the Cheifs Defence needs alot of improvment just like last year before they can think about a playoff spot. They seem to be ok on the pass but falled apart when the broncos decided to give griffin a run. Panthers and Packers tomorrow should be fantastic!

legend

Coach
Yes, great first up win for my beloved Broncos. Anyone know what time the replay is on ESPN tonight?

Clinton who? ;-)

Broncodroid

Juniors
Griffin was good for the Bronco's, once again proving that there may be a place in this league for a back standing 5"7...Davis from Houston proved it last season as well. There is hope for Darren Sproles of the Kansas State Panthers next season.

The knock on any back under 5"9 is durability. Americans will argue until blue in the face that a man under 5"9 WILL NOT last a season in the NFL...let's hope Griffin proves them wrong.

Despite the loss, props to Priest Holmes who IMO has been the best back in the league for the past 3 season (yes, better than LT) who put up another set of impressive numbers.

Also, we had blasts from the past in week 1 at the RB position:

* Marshall Faulk looked like Marshall Faulk again and not the ageing back from the last 2 seasons
* Curtis Martin put HUGE numbers, what was it, 196 or 198 yards rushing on the ground with from memory a pair of TD's
* Edge from the Colts was impressive I thought completely dominating the front line of the PAts

Great first week of football ending with GB v CAR tomorrow morning which will be great !

The only downer was my Dolphins as expected struggled it seemed especially on offense which will be the achilles heel all season long unless Gordon or Minor come from nowhere...

Broncodroid

Juniors
Griffin was good for the Bronco's, once again proving that there may be a place in this league for a back standing 5"7...Davis from Houston proved it last season as well. There is hope for Darren Sproles of the Kansas State Panthers next season.

The knock on any back under 5"9 is durability. Americans will argue until blue in the face that a man under 5"9 WILL NOT last a season in the NFL...let's hope Griffin proves them wrong.

Despite the loss, props to Priest Holmes who IMO has been the best back in the league for the past 3 season (yes, better than LT) who put up another set of impressive numbers.

Also, we had blasts from the past in week 1 at the RB position:

* Marshall Faulk looked like Marshall Faulk again and not the ageing back from the last 2 seasons
* Curtis Martin put HUGE numbers, what was it, 196 or 198 yards rushing on the ground with from memory a pair of TD's
* Edge from the Colts was impressive I thought completely dominating the front line of the PAts

Great first week of football ending with GB v CAR tomorrow morning which will be great !

The only downer was my Dolphins as expected struggled it seemed especially on offense which will be the achilles heel all season long unless Gordon or Minor come from nowhere...

OZ_Falcon

Juniors
Yeh agree, what a game Martain put up against the Bengals, makes the list for the most rushing yards in an opening game. the Jets are looking strong this year!

Paullyboy

Coach
It'll be interesting to see what happens in New York next week, I wouldnt be surprised if either of the following happen:

1/ Curtis gets brought back to reality with a crashing thud when the defence pays him just a smidgen of respect unlike today

2/ The Jets try and get tricky and start changing their approach by using Lamont more to help counter defences predicting them,

Personally I think it will be a bit of both

legend

Coach
As a die hard Broncos fan, the endless list of superb RB's they produce continues to astound me. It's probably a bit early for Griffin to be classed as superb yet, but he looks to be a superstar in the making.

from Davis, Gary, Portis and Anderson to Griffin, it's an amazing knack for Shanahan and co to be able to spot talent consistently and mould these blokes into stars.

Broncodroid

Juniors
As mentioned by the commentators for KC v DEN game, Shannahan is a believer in the system he has in place which all starts with a superb O-line year in, year out. I agree with the trade, Portis for Bailey, as they needed help on defence and had Griffin and a 2nd round steal in rookie Tatum Bell who could do what Griffin done if given a chance.

Good start for the Bronco's...

p.s. TD or Terrell Davis...DEFINATELY on of my favourite backs of all time no question. It was sad to see his career end like it did, hewas potentially going to be on his way to shattering alot of NFL RB records.

Cupid Stunt

C'mon Legend, you know it has less to do with the RB & more to do with the line. My fat arse would look like a stud running behind those lines.

Plus Griffin stinks, BRING ON BELL! :mrgreen:

Broncodroid

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
Im still yet to be convinced by Griffin, one week doesnt make a man

Totally agree, but the 136yds he put up against Colts last season filling for the injured Portis was enough to in some way convince Shanahan his team would be ok...As for Bell, good to see another fan of the former Oklahoma State Cowboy ;-) He WILL be a back in this league, if little Griffin can not take the weekly beating, he will see more carries as the year goes on.

Dragons Cross

Juniors
Miamiasaurus said:
Dragons Cross said:
I know that the Colts put up 200 yards on the ground but I think that the Pats defence was as good if not better than last year.

One very blind fan right here ladies and gentlemen...the Pats defense would of embarassed the defensive guru known as Belichick. Edge and Rhodes made the Pats run defence look ordinary.

200 yards made the Pats look good ? Only the one eyed fan would see it this way.

You really don't know that much about the NFL do you? Did you even watch the game? Or did you just have a look at the stats on NFL.com?

It's not just about stats but more about being able to make the key plays when they are needed. The pick in the endzone and the sack by McGinest showed that the Pats D is going to be even tougher than last season because of the unpredicatability that they showed. Fair enough they leaked a lot of yards on the ground (more than any game last season) but it's the first game of the season and still beat the Colts who have probably the best offence in the league.

How many TDs did James get again? Really, 0? What a day he had!

Broncodroid

Juniors
Now we resort to schoolyard behaviour lowering yourself to ask rhetorical question, "You really don't know that much about the NFL do you? ". As a matter of fact I do know enough to be able to state that the "Pats run defence looked ordinary".

Let's look at 2003 NE Pats Defence, oh and by the way, I watched the game ;-).

In 2003, the Pats D allowed the opposition a mere 89.3yds per game...in one game, Edge and Rhodes put near enough 200yds on them. You stated after ONE GAME that the Pats D "looked good, if not better than last year"...you my friend were IMO showing a little bias. I called it as I saw fit and gave my opinion which is the nature of any type of sports forum.

James scored zero TD's, your right, Rhodes put one on them though. Now if we are being picky, your Pats gave up 10 for the entirety of last season...if you are willing to say the Pats D "looked good, if not better than last year", multiplying this out I say your lying ;-)

I recognise a good D has to be able to force the turnover, make the play, we only look in recent times at Baltimore 2000, more recently Tampa Bay 2002 and even your Pats in 2003, but I made a comment that went directly back at your statement Pats D "looked good, if not better than last year" which I did not agree with. I would also highlight the fact that Manning has throughout the entirety of his career has struggled @ NE especially facing Belichick...some may argue that the Pats have Peytons number if you will.

Fact is this. The Pats won, and whilst the D came up with 2 crucial plays, they struggled against the Indy run. The Pats offense was good, Dillon was a good fit, Brady was Brady though there is this argument...the Colts D is hardly one that sends shivers down a offensive co-oridinators spine, playing a better D with a leaky run D of your own...spells trouble.

The key to winning football games is the running game, if you can run on a team, your half way there. If that is what the Pats D is going to dish up in 2004, your team against good RB's / O-lines are going to struggle. JUST MY OPINION.

Dragons Cross

Juniors
I appreciate your opinion mate and I know you watched the game because you said it in earlier posts. I just don't appreciate how you said "One very Blind fan here...etc" that is what I call schoolyard behaviour.

The worst thing about the NRL sections of this forum are all the tossers who constantly make smart-arsed comments rather than discuss football, usually the people in the NFL forum talk football without the crap. Why didn't you just post what you did above instead of having a go at my opinion?

Back to the football - You have a point about the Pats D being carved by James and co but you also have to look at the fact that they were facing arguably the best QB in the game and one of the best WRs in Harrison. BB would have been concentrating on stopping the passing game because this is where the Colts are going to hurt teams. When I say that the Pats D will be better I'm talking about the schemes and personnel rather than the yards, it's only one game in and they'll get better no doubt.