What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - been to Bathurst?

Sweeper

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Richard Burns has been my fave driver but i've been a pug supporter for ages - i have a 206 GTi as well...

but next year Richard is off to the axis of evil Subaru...he'll be more at home there i guess...sad none the less...
Don't really like Burns but if he was to bring the number 1 plate back to Subaru... that would be ok by me :D Revenge :evil:

Alex28

Coach
astrogirl said:
For some reason the V8s have always appealed to me more than F1. Probably the reason for this is that I like the fact that (on the outside at least) Fords and Holdens are real cars that you see on the streets and driven by real people. F1 seems a little removed from reality to me though I can see why they appeal to others - they perform better/faster after all. I love driving fast (when I can get away with it), but I prefer driving my own little car than someone else's sportscar simply because I know my own car's limits - I guess that's another reason why the "reality" of V8s appeals more to me.

Reality of V8's? Hmmm...they dont use the same chassis...they barely share any body panels...they dont share any mechanics...Basically the grill and lights are about all V8's share with the road-going car.

There is very little "reality" in any form of motor racing - it's all about the passion of the sport and the racing...

astrogirl

First Grade
Alex28 said:
Reality of V8's? Hmmm...they dont use the same chassis...they barely share any body panels...they dont share any mechanics...Basically the grill and lights are about all V8's share with the road-going car.

There is very little "reality" in any form of motor racing - it's all about the passion of the sport and the racing...
I certainly don't claim to know much about the mechanics about cars but yes, it's obvious that a substantial amount of money is poured into V8 supercars and so they are not the same as the ones on the road. The money involved can't be anywhere near as much as F1 though.

What I was trying to say is that a V8 is more an average Aussie bloke's car than those raced in Formula 1. That's the reality that I'm talking about.

I am a bit surprised that they barely share any body panels - I thought that the idea was that they look the same as cars on the road i.e. on the exterior they were essentially the same, but with interiors strengthened by metal bars.

I started getting concerned that I have no idea what I'm talking about so I went to V8 supercars website.

If you find Division C of the 2003 Operations Manual at http://www.v8supercars.com.au/downloads/operationsman/default.htm, under Definitions it says:

"Family of a Vehicle means different series models belonging to one and the same production series of the same manufacturer. At least the number of automobiles specified in Rule C 2.2 for the category of Car with identical external general lines of the bodywork must have been produced in 12 consecutive months. The material of the bodywork and the wheelbase dimension must be identical."

It then goes on to say that the external lines of the bodywork can vary in a few ways.

Guess your eyesight and attention to detail is superior to mine Alex.

Alex28

Coach
touch'e astrogirl... they look like a commodore and falcon, but they aint a commodore and falcon...maybe i watch motorsports way too much...lol

astrogirl

First Grade
Alex28 said:
touch'e astrogirl... they look like a commodore and falcon, but they aint a commodore and falcon...maybe i watch motorsports way too much...lol
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't talking sh_t!!!

I talk crap a lot so I'm just trying to get my facts straight :D or as straight as I can anyway

Alex28

Coach
the panels (bar the bumpers) are basically the same but even they have been modified under project blueprint (introduced to level out the differences between the two makes).

You know your shit Astro - i'm impressed :)

astrogirl

First Grade
Why thank you Alex. IMO your comment is a bit generous as I know stuff all...

Looking forward to catching parts of the race today (on TV cos I decided not to go - maybe next year).

Alex28

Coach
Possibly the first bathurst ever not to have rain at it!

Save your bucks and go to Gold Coast Indy weekend - its a fully fledged Supercar round and so so so much fun!

Sweeper

Juniors
Great to see FPR made it to the scruitineers without running out of petrol.

Nice job prodrive! :roll: :roll:

Latest posts