What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - best sporting victory you have ever been involved in

astrogirl

First Grade
Let me set the scene.

12.30pm: I turned up to the sports fields for my first appearance in my Work Soccer Team. The opposition team is decked out in matching corporate T shirts, socks and shin pads. Meanwhile, my Work Soccer Team wears mismatched shirts and definitely no shin pads.

They had a whole team full of substitutes for the second half. We had one guy and one girl.

They had a coach. We don't have one.

They had a video camera, tripod and cameraperson to record the event. I'm sure you've guessed that we didn't.

They were sledging us from the sideline. We were too stuffed to say anything.

We won 1-0! :D Suffice to say they were not happy. I'm smiling even though I was elbowed in the chest, hit in the stomach with the ball (kicked hard by my own teammate!) and also kicked in the shins.

So there it is.

"The best sporting victory I have ever been involved in". Quote from a guy on my Work Soccer Team.

What's the best sporting victory you have ever been involved in?

antonius

Coach
Coached my son's soccer team to a grand final victory over a smirking bunch of kids who hadn't lost a game for 3 years, and thought they just had to turn up. That was satisfaction personified.

Andy

First Grade
astrogirl said:
I'm smiling even though I was elbowed in the chest, hit in the stomach with the ball (kicked hard by my own teammate!) and also kicked in the shins.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry Astro, but the imagery your words created in my mind is hilarious!!

Congratulations.

The_Ben

Juniors
Went through a year in soccer when I was a whipper snapper as undefeated minor and major premiers

astrogirl

First Grade
LOL, I just pictured that happening to me in quick succession and I can see the humour :D Anyway I'm a tough chick so it's all good :D

Thanks for the congrats - we're pretty happy! I mean it's a social comp and these guys looked kind of serious :|

antonius = supercoach?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
A cricket grand final a few years ago.

2 years before the grandfinal, a year before I started playing, my team got bowled out for 20 in the grand final.

The year later, my 1st year I played, we got bowled out for 37 in the grand final.

Then the grand final that I'm please to talk about in 2002. We were 5 for 35. I know, 3 years in a row I was thinking. But me batting four and the # 7 bats man had a good partnership and got us over 100. Then we bowled them out with them needing 8 runs to win.

Celebrated nice and hard after that one.

Zoidberg

First Grade
During a school touch football tournament (school against school).
In a semi-final match, we ended up with a draw, cant remember the score.
So we go into golden point extra time, We tapped off, the ball got passed to me with 1 pass, I ran to the defence, threw a dummy and found myself in space, I ran the 30 metres or so to score :clap:
Of course though we lost the next match to get into the GF.

Johns Magic

Referee
Cricket game this year. I was in the 15a's, and this was our last match and we hadn't won all season. We were playing Riverview who had beaten us by 300 runs the year before. We bowled really well to get them out for 197. I came in as batsman number 6( my first time above 8 that year), and we were 4/140. The other batsman, who was on 38 got out straight away, as did the three next people, all for less than 3, so we were 8/144, and I was in with the 2nd last batsman who was hopeless. Any way, it started drizzling, and they brought on the opening bowlers to finish off the tail. But we battled on through the rain, and got home with one wicket to spare, and I recorded my highest ever score of 49*, whilst the other two batsman contributed 3 between them. It was the best moment when the rest of the team ran onto the pitch when I hit the match-winning runs. It then started pouring but it didn't matter.

That's my best ever sporting victory.

princessjen

Juniors
My best sporting victory was last year playing town netball.
For the two years before that, we got into the grand final both times and got flogged. Always against the same team.
Their team is always handpicked and they train 3 times a week. My team consisted of a few friends. We didn't have a coach and trained once a week before each game.
Last year they beat us in every game. We met again in the grand final. They were so sure they were going to win, and we absolutely flogged them! I suppose 2 years of floggings can do that to you.

He he the looks on their faces was classic :twisted: :lol:

That was my best victory ever, it felt soooooooo good thrashing them! :D

(Of course this year we have lost all but one game, but we won't talk about that... :cry: :lol: )

CycloneSteve

Juniors
I have 2 that stick out they are both as equally awesome in my book:-

I play rebound volleyball on a squash court. A Grade competition. We made it to the Grand Final to play against the team that had been undefeated all year. They were so smug going into the game and rightly so, having the best server and hardest spiker in the comp, along with three other players (its 4 on 4) that anyone would want in their team. Anyway the game started bad for us and we found ourselves down 3 sets to 0 (in a 6 set game). During the break between the 3rd and 4th sets we basically had conceded the game and decided just to have some fun in the last 3 sets and not worry about the result. We won the 4th set and were happy we got at least one. When we won the 5th comfortably, we had our opposition worried. We worked out that in order to win the match we had to keep our opposition to 14 (its first to 21). Well as you have now guessed we won the set after keeping them to 12. We went absolutely nuts. Our opposition couldnt believe that they had lost after having an almost unbeatable lead. We partied pretty damn hard....

My other great sporting moment was this year when I won my first touch football Grand Final. Going into this years semi final series, I had NEVER played in a semi final winning team in all the 11 years I had played the game. In several occasions we had finished in the top 2 only to lose 2 semi's to be put out. This year we faced our arch rivals in the first semi final, and ran over them 13-2 to get into our first ever Grand Final. From here we were facing a massive task in taking on a team we hadn't beaten all season. To add to our problems, we had to do it without several key players, unavailable due to weddings etc. We had only 2 male subs and NO female subs compared to their "cast of thousands"
Well we won the match 8-4 after leading 3-2 at half time. Being my first premiership win (and I was also captain of the team) it was an awesome day.

GO THE LEPRECHAUNS!!!!!

cram

Bench
Well I would like to tell you about a great victory I have been involved in. I have been involved in a few but none compare to my worst loss.

As a 16 year old I played rugby union with Merewether Carlton. We had a very special side going through the season undefeated. In the major semi final we walloped our opposition moving into the grand final. Unfortunately we were beaten in the grand final. That loss has always stayed with me and means more to me then any victory I have had. The lessons it taught me stay with me today and for that reason it was my greatest sporting moment.

astrogirl

First Grade
Some great stories :D other than cram's woeful (but still great) one :(

I'm sure most of us can sympathise with you cram. I played on a touch footy team that lost 3 grand finals before finally winning one last year. We were probably favourites to win at least 2 of the 3 GFs that we lost. You really do learn something about yourselfand the team when you lose games like that, when you're expected to win.

Just ask the 2001 Eels team...

Andy

First Grade
Greatest sporting moment = scoring a goal against Argentina Youth Team

Got selected in the NSW School Boys team in my senior year of high school, to play the Argentinian Youth side that was touring the Asia pacific.

To cut a long story short, they killed us. Most of the players in this team have gone on to play internationally in the top leagues.

But anyway, we were down 5-0 late in the second half, and we had no energy left. I was playing left midfield and somehow won the ball off their striker in a slide tackle, which took him down. As I got to my feet I looked up and saw that I only had two players to beat.

"what the heck..." I thought, as I ran towards the goals ".. I'll have a go"

Somehow I managed to beat the first defender, but as the keeper came running out from goal, the second defender pulled my left arm and I as I fell, I struck the ball late and with the end of my toes.

The keeper was obviously expecting the ball to go high, and as a result ended up watching the ball go racing between his legs with a very embarassed look on his face, and then turned to see it slide inside the right upright and hit the back of the net.

And how did I celebrate?? The best way possible. I got up off the ground, without any sign of emotion, and calmly walked back towards half way, as if nothing had happened, as if it was nothing for me to score such an incredible goal.

And then I was swamped by the rest of my team, including the bench and coach, and I've never had a better feeling in my life.

We lost 5-1, but I walked like we'd won 5-1 after that goal. :D

astrogirl

First Grade
I'm totally dredging up an old thread here.

But I am still happy about the game of touch footy I played in today :D

We had a great win. We arrived at the ground knowing that we needed to win this game to keep our finals hopes alive. It's mixed touch - 4 guys and 2 girls on the field. I was the only girl who showed up so we were one short, and I had to play the whole game. (The other team had a full team plus subs for both guys and girls.)

Game started badly with me letting in 2 early tries. I really needed the guys to cover the inside as I'm not speedy and make dubious decisions in defence sometimes.

At half time we were down 3-2 but we got some momentum in the second half. I even scored a try!

We ended up winning 7-3 :D Can't believe it!

Still grinning :D

northey

First Grade
ummmm
well i was the only girl in the cricket team when i was 7 and i played until i was 13...!!!!!!!
ummmm
best and fairest in hockey....
captian/coach in mid west touch footy

lolesi

First Grade
Bring it home Knights said:
A cricket grand final a few years ago.

2 years before the grandfinal, a year before I started playing, my team got bowled out for 20 in the grand final.

The year later, my 1st year I played, we got bowled out for 37 in the grand final.

Then the grand final that I'm please to talk about in 2002. We were 5 for 35. I know, 3 years in a row I was thinking. But me batting four and the # 7 bats man had a good partnership and got us over 100. Then we bowled them out with them needing 8 runs to win.

Celebrated nice and hard after that one.

Haha thats heaps like mine!!
We got all out for 3! Next week we won outright, got into the grand final, and knocked of the Local rivals who were underfeated that year pretty easily!
They had champagne etc all ready for after the game etc, was a great day, Also that week our training had been called off cause we kept hitting the balls near these girls and chasing it etc, so our coach sent every1 home, where they had 3 training sessions and a Bonding night!!

Good times :) Everything stuck, every favor went our way etc, was definetly our day :)

Ive won a snooker doubles cup!
A Rugby league Premiership in 11s and 15s

Congrats Astro!-Funny as! :lol: :lol:
Both premierships were over by half time so we had some fun in the second half.
Played 5/8 in 11s and second row in 15s.

Ah...the memories!
Ta Astro!

Misanthrope

Staff member
My one and only game of grade soccer, back when I was 18, playing for the Glen Innes Highlanders.

My brother (14 at the time, but infinitely better than me) was on the bench, and I started in right midfield. We won the game 1-0 over the top of the table Guyra side, and while it was my brother who set up the only goal of the match, I went through a heap of defence against a great side.

Would either be that, or going through a season undefeated in junior soccer. Scored three goals in the season, including two in one game passed the aforementioned brother. :D

Alex28

Coach
i didnt do much to help them...but I ended up in the middle of the celebrations when Mark Webber came 5th in his first F1 race...ended up covered in Mumm Champagne...was neither a victory or me doing anything in particular but was the best time :)

Latest posts