What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - Davis Cup Final 2003

Do you believe Australia will win this year's Davis Cup?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters

knightsgal85

Juniors
What an epic and captivating match of tennis we were fortunate to witness today. A fitting way to conclude the 2003 Davis Cup final, with a five-set marathon, 7-5, 6-3, 1-6, 2-6, 6-0 (in Mark's favour).

Mark's serve and volleying in the first two sets were top-notch, despite the numerous times his shots fell wide of the line. Even though his first serve percentage was steady at 46% in the first two sets, his winning percentage on his first serve was a high 83% and 72% respectively. He also managed to serve 13 aces in total within the first couple of sets. Undeniably, there is little wonder how he consolidated break point opportunities to claim the first two sets.

Perhaps fatigue and his apparent shoulder pain overshadowed his performance in the third and fourth sets, as we witnessed virtually the other side of the equation.

Mark's first serve winning percentage fell dramatically in the third and fourth sets to 56% and 43% respectively. There was no signal of his lethal serve apparent, and his accuracy interrupted his game plan immensely, leading to copious double faults at critical points, in which Juan Carlos capitalised upon.

Double faults overall stood at 16 - 2 in Mark's favour. This was mainly because he wanted to serve at such speed, in order to trouble Juan Carlos from making a return, and hence, slow down the rally, as clearly his court movement and footwork also started to weaken from the third set onwards.

However, I should not forget the effort and determination Juan Carlos Ferrero displayed in his courageous comeback, but unfortunately he could not withstand the distance. We were fortunate to see moments of Juan Carlos at his brilliant best in the third and fourth sets, with shots taken with precise pinpoint accuracy. Juan Carlos' first serve winning percentage in the third set was miraculously 100%, and in the fourth a commanding 71%, compared to Mark's dismal percentages, so it is not foreign as to why he managed to convincingly win both sets. Juan Carlos, despite losing both his reverse singles matches, can hold his head up high.

Oswin said:
Thankfully Philliposis' injury proved valuable, perhaps disrupting Ferrero's concentration and momentum early in the 5th set. Philliposis capitalised on his quick breather, and Ferrero's mistakes early in the set to hammer home a 6-0 final set.

Mark took an injury time-out before the commencement of the deciding set, but Juan Carlos also capitalised with this short interruption, receiving treatment from the trainer courtside as well. I do not believe the time-out was a distraction for either player, but moreso which player would use their 'extra rest' to their advantage. It clearly was an opportunity for both of them to have a little rest and treatment, and obviously Mark was in pain from shoulder trouble, and rightfully indicated he was in need for treatment. I believe it was more of a factor of fatigue that let Juan Carlos down immensely in the final set, rather than a distraction on the part of the injury time-out disrupting his concentration.

Once the fifth set began, all that was required was for Mark to maintain his serve, and after a little hesitation in the first game of the decider; he attained the first game on offer. Juan Carlos, perhaps struggling from fatigue with two 5-setters in a space of three days, lost his momentum and thrust, unable to maintain serve once.

Clearly, Mark's performance was still hampered by his shoulder pain, as reflected in the grimace on his face throughout the final set. However, he managed to secure a resounding comeback, with clever volleying and tactical, quick plays.

As mentioned in his on-court interview, the Australian crowd lifted his spirit and furthermore, onto victory.

Mark maintains his long-standing record intact of never losing after claiming the first two sets consecutively.

Congratulations must go to both sides, as we would not have been fortunate to witness one of the greatest Davis Cup finals, if it was not for the players shear grit and determination towards their tennis and the pride they have in their country.

Australia has now attained its 28th Davis Cup title, and furthermore, is now No. 1 in the ITF Davis Cup Nations Ranking.

It was also pleasing to hear Todd Woodbridge will also continue on our Davis Cup defence in 2004. As Mark revealed in his courtside interview, the current Australian team have "now gelled into a formidable combination."

Australia, once again, World Champions - 2003 Davis Cup victors.

northey

First Grade
i don't really like tennis but i did watch it this morning........

it is good to see australia win it was great....

astrogirl

First Grade
knightsgal85 said:
Once the fifth set began, all that was required was for Mark to maintain his serve, and after a little hesitation in the first game of the decider; he attained the first game on offer. Juan Carlos, perhaps struggling from fatigue with two 5-setters in a space of three days, lost his momentum and thrust, unable to maintain serve once.
I wasn't able to stay home to watch the whole match - had to leave early in the 3rd set. I was pretty surprised to find out later that Phillippousis won the 5th set in 6-0 style, especially in light of his shoulder injury!

Can anyone tell me what happens to the 5th game? Is it played at all?

I'd just like the record to show that the Poo has now won two Davis Cups for Australia while Pat Rafter has none. That's zero Pat. Bugger all! Nothing.

:lol:

knightsgal85

Juniors
astrogirl said:

The fifth rubber was not contested mainly because we had already secured the Davis Cup title, in light of Flip's victory in the fourth rubber. We claimed the Davis Cup with a 3 rubbers to 1 triumph :D

Razor

Coach
knightsgal85 said:

If a team is 2-1 coming into the 3rd day, and then the team who has won 2, wins the tie with the 1st match of the day, then the 5th rubber is only played if one of the 2 captains want it to be played.

But if a team wins the Cup 3-0, then both reverse singles matches must be played the following day, even though they are both dead rubbers.

astrogirl

First Grade
Razor said:
If a team is 2-1 coming into the 3rd day, and then the team who has won 2, wins the tie with the 1st match of the day, then the 5th rubber is only played if one of the 2 captains want it to be played.

But if a team wins the Cup 3-0, then both reverse singles matches must be played the following day, even though they are both dead rubbers.
I thought it was possible for a dead rubber to be played!!! But I don't really understand the rationale behind why a 2-1 situation results in captains' choice, but 3-0 means the remaining 2 games are played :?

Razor

Coach
astrogirl said:
I thought it was possible for a dead rubber to be played!!! But I don't really understand the rationale behind why a 2-1 situation results in captains' choice, but 3-0 means the remaining 2 games are played :?[/quote]

Because due to TV and tickets been sold they have to offer tennis on the last day. That's why if the tie is decided on the 2nd day they still must play on the 3rd day. But if it's decided in the 4th rubber (1st rubber on day 3) ther officials regard that as sufficient tennis for TV & the crowd, so they leave it up to the captains.

Latest posts