What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT- Ford Falcon - Family Car of the Year Again

Andy

First Grade
Australia's Best Cars awards, conducted jointly by state motoring organisations, includes 12 classes, with the family car honour the most sought after because it has the biggest market share.

It was also the only class won by an Australian-made car, with the Falcon BA-XT judged superior to the Mk II VY Holden Commodore.

Chief judge Ernest Litera said the Falcon BA-XT, the same model that won last year, was far superior to its predecessor, the Falcon AU.

"With the BA Falcon, Ford lifted the benchmark if you like," Litera said at the awards ceremony in Adelaide on Wednesday.

"They realised that they needed to do something after AU and they went back and looked at the engine of the car; it's a new engine, they chose better materials. It's got a better build quality; it's improved safety.

"All of the things that are important to the family car buyer, Ford have identified and tackled."

The cars were judged on 19 criteria, with the categories weighted according to what market research showed buyers of each class of car were looking for.

Comfort, space, security and safety were the most important factors in the family car class.

Ford Australia president Geoff Polites said the 5,400-strong Melbourne workforce involved in making the car would be ecstatic.

"We've started and changed from the ground up, in terms of the suspension, in terms of the engine, the interior, the dynamics," he said.

"We really set out to re-do the car and build what we thought was the very best car we could build at the time and the best car that would be built in Australia at that time, and I think we got there."

Among winners of other classes, the Hyundai Getz GL 3D was named the best small car, and the BMW M3 won the award for best sports car over $57,000 for the third straight year.

Doctor

Bench
They're thirsty things by all accounts - they'll guzzle up the juice more so than any other family-sized car.

While by all accounts the Falcon is a quality car this model - even Holden "fans" admit that the Falcon is quite good this year - many families may find themselves questioning whether or not to get something that chews up petrol that quickly.

If the potential customers of this car are indeed families, then I'd like to know how much these families are earning each year. It is a high running cost for a car.

Safety, smoothness, handling etc are all well and good, but I wouldn't have thought people, especially families, would be able to afford that much petrol.

It is for this reason that interest rates are going up - Australians are spending up big on cars, credit cards etc, inflating inflation and thereby spoiling themselves rotten.

astrogirl

First Grade
Oswin said:
They're thirsty things by all accounts - they'll guzzle up the juice more so than any other family-sized car.
Yeah, for that reason I'm quite happy keeping my little 4 cylinder car (rather than get something with a bit more grunt). Granted it isn't family sized but it's perfect for my purposes. It mostly does city driving but has also been to Melbourne and goes to Newcastle and Canberra on a sort-of regular basis.

I'm not sure how good this is, but I worked out the other week that it used about 6.5L to go 100 km. This was mostly in freeway conditions.

Doctor

Bench
astrogirl said:
Oswin said:
Yeah, for that reason I'm quite happy keeping my little 4 cylinder car (rather than get something with a bit more grunt). Granted it isn't family sized but it's perfect for my purposes. It mostly does city driving but has also been to Melbourne and goes to Newcastle and Canberra on a sort-of regular basis.

I'm not sure how good this is, but I worked out the other week that it used about 6.5L to go 100 km. This was mostly in freeway conditions.

That is quite good. You'll find that Commodores and Falcons will be chewing up 11-13 L/100km on highways and more than this in the city. A good sized family car like a Magna, Camry etc might do 10 and 12 as its city/highway performances. I'm not expert though.

The Colonel

Immortal
Oswin said:

While by all accounts the Falcon is a quality car this model - even Holden "fans" admit that the Falcon is quite good this year - many families may find themselves questioning whether or not to get something that chews up petrol that quickly.

If the potential customers of this car are indeed families, then I'd like to know how much these families are earning each year. It is a high running cost for a car.

Safety, smoothness, handling etc are all well and good, but I wouldn't have thought people, especially families, would be able to afford that much petrol.

It is for this reason that interest rates are going up - Australians are spending up big on cars, credit cards etc, inflating inflation and thereby spoiling themselves rotten.

I have had both the new Commodore and the new Falcon in the past six months to drive. I kept the Falcon. It uses around the same petrol as the V6 around town and less out of town. On a good trip I can go from Sydney to Canberra and back and still have more than a quarter of a tank when I get back or 250 k's until empty. The Commodore on the other hand uses a full tank for the very same trip - around 750 k's.

Andy

First Grade
I have two words for a solution of your fuel consumpiotn concern Oswin.

Falcon E-Gas.

The LPG version of the Falcon Engine.

The other Sales reps that I work with have the E-gas versions of the BA falcon, and they love it.

Only a small decrease in power from the petrol engine, (156kW - Still more powerful than the Commodore petrol V6) the E-gas tank of approx. 80 litres, at current average prices, will be filled for around $29.00
(As tested at 35.9c/litre, with 32km range left on fuel gague in car)

The average range on this amount of fuel is 500-530km around town and 750-800km on the open road. Most of our sales guys are pretty heavy on the foor too.

Not only is E-gas more economical and more efficient, but it's also less damaging to the atmosphere.

I drove one of the company vehicles on a sales trip that went as far as Surfers Paradise, in October this year.

I filled the tank up at Palm Beach (20km south of Surfers) and made it all the way to the Mobil Service Station at Sandgate, with 27km range left in the tank. Not bad eh?

Here's the link to the Ford website for more information.

http://www.ford.com.au/lpg/eGas_home.asp

~bedsy~

First Grade
Try driving a 3 speed auto and see how fuel she eats :shock:

I hate fords... they are bloody ugly... give me a Holden anyday... I don't feel the need to have to buy cars on what fuel they eat or stuff like that... all I want is to know she's safe and drives well... Oh and is a good looking car eg: mazda 6, VW Beetle, Holden Astra or Holden Commodore, HSV.

tigermite

Juniors
bedsy said:
I hate fords... they are bloody ugly... give me a Holden anyday...
That's interesting... most people I know, including those who love Holdens, admit that the new Ford is a much better looking car than the Holden... not to mention a better car overall (as all these awards indicate). But each to their own... Ford will always be my number 1 though 8)

BTW.... great to see Ambrose win the V8 supercar series in the Ford Falcon.... and in the Ute series (don't know what it's called...), Ford won that too :D

MC DUI

Juniors
tigermite said:
bedsy said:
I hate fords... they are bloody ugly... give me a Holden anyday...
That's interesting... most people I know, including those who love Holdens, admit that the new Ford is a much better looking car than the Holden... not to mention a better car overall (as all these awards indicate). But each to their own... Ford will always be my number 1 though 8)

BTW.... great to see Ambrose win the V8 supercar series in the Ford Falcon.... and in the Ute series (don't know what it's called...), Ford won that too :D

I agree tigermite most people I know love the new Ford over the new Holden, the new Commodores have such fat arse's on them :!:

Andy

First Grade
As much as I'm a Ford fan thru and thru, I'm still not dumb enough to deny the positives of the opposition.

There are things I like about Holdens aswell, it's just that I prefer Fords.

I do agree with bedsy on the Mazda 6. It's a beautiful looking car.

This make shock you bedsy, but Mazda is owned by Ford :D

northey

First Grade
i like holdens ... but ford has great colours...
i love fast cars... if you ask anyone around here they will tell you about this silver holden ss commodor that does 160-200km/h all the time and has never been fined for going fast!!!!! i love that car it is so kool to be in the car doing that speed!!!
but i guess i have all ways had a love for going fast! it must have been passed down....
my nan was the first femal rally car driver in australia

Sweeper

Juniors
Let us not forget...

The Subaru Forester was again named Best Recreational Four Wheel Drive, maintaining its status as one of the most awarded vehicles in Australian automotive history.

The Impreza WRX regained its crown as Best Sports Car Under $57,000 - an honour jointly shared with the Mazda RX8.

Impreza WRX last won an Australia’s Best Cars award in 2001.

Impreza GX was named Best Mid-Size Car Under $28,000.

And the Subaru Legacy is car of the year in Japan, a first for Subaru beating the Prius and RX-8.

Not to mention Subaru's world beating Rally team, and its Australian manufacturers title and drivers championship.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Andy said:
This make shock you bedsy, but Mazda is owned by Ford :D
But that doesn't bother me... cause it's a good looking car and drives really well... See I don't care who owns the car companys I have just never liked Ford cars.
Same as Hyundai don't make their engines they buy them off Mitsubishi.

Sweeper

Juniors
bedsy said:
Ehh, so when they bringing out a Hyndai with an Evo VIII engine in it? Thats one hyundai i would buy.

I won't believe it till i see proof! Hyundai have the highest output in the world... i don't think they buy their motors!

Encurly

Juniors
Little Austin Powers said:
bedsy said:
Ehh, so when they bringing out a Hyndai with an Evo VIII engine in it? Thats one hyundai i would buy.

I won't believe it till i see proof! Hyundai have the highest output in the world... i don't think they buy their motors!

They used to - then I think they manufactured an older Mitsu design. Now they use their own design.

Engine sharing's fairly common - Alfa will be using a Holden engine next year!

Latest posts