What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - newcastleknights.com.au forum Updates.

antonius

Coach
I've put this up so that any info re the situation with the old site can be posted here. If anyone gets any Official information they could post it here to keep everyone up to date. Please don't post here-say, just facts.

The latest news I have is as follows.
Wayne sent a reply to me last night saying it all has to do with a court case that is in progress in Victoria re somebody sueing the adminn of a website for deformation by somebody who posted something on that site. He said the Knights board are a bit jittery about that situation arising with them. As you know the site was recently plagued by posters going on about the knights board and salary cap issues and that didn't help. A couple of us Chook and Myself have put a couple of proposals to him (Wayne) he is going to get back to us when he knows anything else.

I have to be honest though Wayne doesn't think it looks promising for an early return of the forum. There is talk that if it does come back it may be that every post would have to be vetted before it's put up. That would be pretty ordinary I think.

antonius

Coach
Not sure how ethical this is but I recieved this reply re the forum from Ken Conway this afternoon. Below it is the email I sent. I've deleted the addys.

Hi Tony,

After some libellous information was published on another clubs chat room by a "fan" and a threat of legal action was received by the club I have closed the site subject to receiving legal advice. Preliminary legal advice from the NRL indicates that the Club, Administration and Directors can be held personally liable for anything published on the chat room and can be sued for damages. Enquiries have indicated that a number of legal cases are currently underway in Australia relating to statements made by third parties on chat rooms and web sites. One such case involves David Oldfield and relates to alleged racial discrimination and abuse.

I take your points seriously however and part of our review process is to see if we can come up with a method of providing the service while eliminating the risk of being sued
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, 31 August 2003 9:10 AM
To: Ken Conway
Subject: Fw: Knights Web Site Forum.

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2003 8:28 AM
Subject: Knights Web Site Forum.

Dear Sir,

I am writing re the Forum on the Knights web site. I have been posting there for 18 months and due to too my being one of the more regular posters I have been inundated with e-mails from members wanting to know what has happened to the forum, and why it’s gone. There have been rumors going around re the NRL don’t like official club forums,etc, and that is the reason.

For a lot of the members for various reasons (disability) that forum is the only contact they have with other knights fans. The forum means a lot to a lot of Knights fans, to just take it away with no reason, or explanation, has devested some of them, to say nothing of the feeling of being kicked in the teeth. The Forum is mainly harmless banter between fans; some very knowledgeable debate goes on there also. These fans are the same fans that turn up to home games in the worst conditions of any club in the comp. I can tell you, even though to you it might not seem such a big deal, they are not happy about the treatment you are dealing them over this. If it is true that the NRL wants to ban official club forums then at least tell us; though I’d suggest the NRL have more problems with the game than footy forums. I would also point out that 99% of visits to the Knights web site would be due to that forum, take it away and you may as well get rid of the web site altogether.

Regards

Tony Humphreys.

(Forum signature, antonius)

Big Tim

First Grade
I am glad we have had a response from Ken himself. It seems as though the forum has been closed for a suitable reason, the last thing our club needs is to be sued by someone who had comments made about them on the forum.

I would still like to have been given maybe 24hrs notice so we knew what was going on.

glamour_eel

Juniors
Hey,

This isn't any new information. However, at the official parraeels.com.au website forum, every single post and reply that is made is checked by forum admin before it is posted publically. It's just a suggestion that Wayne could adopt a similar filtering system, although it is a lot of work for one individual.

northey

First Grade
i wish that the forum would come back.
but if someone can stuff it up for all of us then sham on them!!!

misty

Juniors
Wayne has had offers from posters to moderate the site for him but he knocked them back, I agree it would be too much for one person to run if every post has to be checked before being posted.

Kaz

junior
mia said:
Wayne has had offers from posters to moderate the site for him but he knocked them back.

Tell me about it, If I was a mod on the Knights forum, it would still be up & running. :lol:

Can you guess who I am. :p

After I left the forum, it went down hill really fast.

misty

Juniors
Kaz said:
mia said:
Wayne has had offers from posters to moderate the site for him but he knocked them back.

Tell me about it, If I was a mod on the Knights forum, it would still be up & running. :lol:

No idea :-k

give us a clue :p

about time you showed yourself ;-)

princess plj

Juniors
its good to see we got a response so soon....hopefully a good outcome will progress and we can have our forum back.....

i don't know i feel like an intruder on this forum site...although i am sure in a few days or so it will become like the noral forum.

rourkster

Juniors
Kaz said:
mia said:

Welcome back BF. I never thought I'd say this, but I must admit I've missed your sense of humour on the forum. Don't be a stranger anymore. ;-)

rourkster

Juniors
Big Tim2 said:
I am glad we have had a response from Ken himself. It seems as though the forum has been closed for a suitable reason, the last thing our club needs is to be sued by someone who had comments made about them on the forum.

I would still like to have been given maybe 24hrs notice so we knew what was going on.

I'm interested to know who it was that's ruined it for the rest of us and what it was they actually said.

Matt23

Staff member
Sounds like someone went and stirred another teams fans up (gee I wonder who?). Well done whoever you are, you've wrecked it for us all, mind you the fans in questions should'nt be such sooks. :roll:

antonius

Coach
Bit of an up-date.
on the suggestion of vetting every post, Wayne has already said that's an option. Mark (Mparki) came up with the following suggestion.

Ok the knights admin have rocks in their heads for pulling our forum off, i get that, but the solution is so simple. I go to tafe, and what they have at tafe is a LEGAL DISCLAMER, indicating that tafe will not be held responsible for anything obscene, breach of copyright laws etc etc etc.. You click on the link to start up your workstation and you break the law etc its your fault, because you already AGREED to the terms and conditions set out by the administration. So why cant they do this at the knights? Put a disclaimer at the top of the site saying you are responsible for what you post and by posting you absolve the knights of all responsibility , it doesent need to be clicked on, and that way they cover their stupid arses and we get our nice little forum back, the way it was, except that we the sensible people understand that its our responsibility that if we post something slanderous its our arses that are going to get kicked, not the knights. Wayne has all our ip addresses so if someone really wanted to find out who we are they could force him to give it to them, and then legal proceedings could start from there. No involvement from the knights. We get our forum back. And all is right with the world once again.

What do you think? Feel free to put this on the forum as I wont be home tomorroe (tuesday) and get some opinions on it...hell even send it to wayne if you think it will help

I'll send that to Conway, who's been sending the mails to Hill, and see what he says. Hill is after all a lawyer so you'd think he'd know a way around it.

kingkerry

Juniors
Antonius :) The solution seems to be so bloody simple why hasnt it happened .? :evil:
Tell me about it, If I was a mod on the Knights forum, it would still be up & running.

Can you guess who I am.

Good on ya BF/ Kaz missed your banter 8)