What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT: Petals around the rose

Doctor

Bench
Got it now. I cheated. I was on the right track in my first couple of turns, but then when someone suggested the answer was in the title, I treated it like a word puzzle.

It's still a maths puzzle, regardless of how you look at it. I rest comfortably knowing that I did get it, I just didn't know exactly how they structured the answers.... and besides, it means I'm smart doesn't it. Bill Gates took a while too. :D

While I doubt there's any truth in the phrase "the smarter you are, the longer it will take you", I do believe that it is not a problem that suits people who are good at/interested in mathematics. The brain of a mathematics person works very logically. They are always seeking patterns, reasons, figures, permutations. This has none of those. It;s not really a maths problem. It's a lateral thinking exercise.

BTW, I did three unit maths at school, studied maths and problem solving logic at university, and am now a school teacher... and by the time I got that bloody puzzle I was on the brink of insanity!

miladi

Juniors
Actually, this is a logic puzzle more than math. As soon as I tripped onto that factor, the solution was obvious! Read again and think about it.

miladi

Juniors
foetus_head said:
i got it in 20 secs by guess and check, I put in 6 every time till I got it!

That isn't exactly the point. You are supposed to work out why you got it correct with 6 and then be able to get it right everytime!

miladi said:
That isn't exactly the point. You are supposed to work out why you got it correct with 6 and then be able to get it right everytime!

Oh I think foetus_head was only inputting 6 in order to obtain the correct answers from the program, then presumably she/he was able to identify the correlation between the patterns of the dice and the answers which led her/him to the discovery of the "rule" some 20 seconds later... Smart girl (or boy), I say :cool:

les norton

First Grade
ok...i got it now.

As soon as i come clean that i need help. Now I have ruined everyones belief that I am a genius.