What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - Sign in Knights fans

roopy

Referee
With the Knights forum going down in the last few days, I suppose some will be coming in here to look around and maybe post.
I'll put this topic as a sticky at the top of the page so all new arrivals can let it be known that they are 'in the house'.

antonius

Coach
OK I've signed in....actually joined some time ago but it was a little quiet in here, hopefully some of the guys/Gals from Knights.com will come over and post more frequently.

antonius

Coach
For any former Knights.com posters visiting this site "Chook" asked me to put this message up.

Dear Knights Forum regulars,

I read some of the suggested reasons for why the Knights Forum is down -
doesn't sound too good if they're not going to re-open the site. I've been
at the site for more than 4 years now - to just delete the build-up of
people and posts on there would be a real waste.

I don't think they will close it down - surely not. But if they do indeed
shut it down, I'd like to see Wayne send out a forum-wide notice to every
registered Forum poster to let them know where we'll move to. I'd hate to
see everyone scatter off and to lose people (or have four or five separate
forums for Knights fans). I think they will lose a lot of traffic in the
Knights website too - another reason any such decision is a bad idea.
Websites don't pay for themselves, and advertising will be a big issue. I'd
be lucky to visit the Knights website maybe twice a year if the Forum wasn't
there - I'm sure this is a similar situation for most.

There is a lot of memories in the old Knights Forum - but bear in mind the
Forum has come under threat before - what my old fellow-poster Gnome once
called 'The Dark Ages' occurred prior to my arrival in the late 90s, but
this was due mostly to technical errors, not any intentional removal of the
forum.

Hopefully the site will be back up and running soon - it is an important
stage of the season, and to not have a Forum would be disappointing at the
very least.

I hope all are well, and that we will have the old forum back soon.

Regards,

Chook

wedge3210 here. I deceided on my Usenet, name since a certain someone seems to think a countdown is egotistic.

Wayne always struck me as not giving much of a hoot about the forum. I think he took the recent drama with forums as an excuse to give it a think about. Looks like it'll be gone, if I had to bet on it. I don't think I can be bothered ever going back there if the forum doesn't get up.

I doubt the official website would let you advertise an alternative place to talk as well. Very unfortunate since you'd like to talk about your favourite club of so many years at their official site. But a fresh start is probably best. Loads of dead weight forum members will now drop off. Teeny-bopper posters won't bother Chicken_Hunter etc, etc.

At least we can laugh at Brad Newton here without it being deleted. 8)

Big Tim

First Grade
I am "in the house" as you might say. If you cant tell who I am then I havent been obvious enough :D

It is a shame bout the old forum as I am only on the net for it and msn, so I guess nk.com will suffer now as people will not go there as often anymore without a forum.

Well it seems as though this forum may be a better one anyway, so come on guys lets get this forum known as the best Knights forum there is.

antonius

Coach
Danish Moo Cow said:
wedge3210 here. I deceided on my Usenet, name since a certain someone seems to think a countdown is egotistic.

Wayne always struck me as not giving much of a hoot about the forum. I think he took the recent drama with forums as an excuse to give it a think about. Looks like it'll be gone, if I had to bet on it. I don't think I can be bothered ever going back there if the forum doesn't get up.

I doubt the official website would let you advertise an alternative place to talk as well. Very unfortunate since you'd like to talk about your favourite club of so many years at their official site. But a fresh start is probably best. Loads of dead weight forum members will now drop off. Teeny-bopper posters won't bother Chicken_Hunter etc, etc.

At least we can laugh at Brad Newton here without it being deleted. 8)
Good to see you here Wedge, I hope BIHK turns up, I'm missing your stoushes already.LOL.

antonius

Coach
Big Tim2 said:
I am "in the house" as you might say. If you cant tell who I am then I havent been obvious enough :D

It is a shame bout the old forum as I am only on the net for it and msn, so I guess nk.com will suffer now as people will not go there as often anymore without a forum.

Well it seems as though this forum may be a better one anyway, so come on guys lets get this forum known as the best Knights forum there is.
Great to see you here Big Tim, looking foreward to Parki and yourself posting some inspirational stuff before seasons end.

misty

Juniors
I can't believe whats happened to our forum :evil:
P*** w*** thats what it is! :roll:

antonius

Coach
I'd say this forum will see a lot of activity over the next few weeks. There's a few starting to visit here. \\:D/

Doctor

Bench
On the topic of the Knights Forum - I sent the following email to the Knights. If I don't receive a reply, I'll write to the office by snail mail and keep you informed. :idea:

---
To whom it may concern,

It has come to my understanding that the reason for the Knights Forum being non-operational over the past few days may not be technical error at all.

It is normal for a website to undergo regular maintenance, and therefore it did not surprise me very much to see that the site was down on Thursday. A few days later the site is still not operational, and although I’m not willing to blindly believe speculation, there is a suggestion that it may not return.

Surely this story I’m hearing is incorrect. Then again, why wouldn’t the Webmaster (Wayne) post a message to say that the forum is experiencing technical difficulties, or perhaps that it was being upgraded?

There is little evidence to go on, but you leave many Knights fans with no choice other than to believe that the site has been deleted, presumably permanently. Why this is the case I do not know.

This story both has fiscal and ethical ramifications as I see it.

Websites don’t support themselves, and I’m sure the advertising income for the Knights would be sufficient to miss it if it were withdrawn. Like many Knights Forum poster I doubt whether I would even visit twice in one year if the Forum were no longer there. It then begs the question; why would businesses want to advertise on a website that no longer has the bulk of its previous traffic?

The ethical issue raised is that one day the forum is working, and the next day the site is gone - vanished into the black hole of cyberspace. Why then wouldn’t the fans of Newcastle be informed of any such decision to remove the site permanently? Even if the site is just under review, surely the issue that is raised is that the fans are quite entitled to be informed of the deletion of their site.

Personally I’ve been on the Knights Forum for more than four years, some regular members have been there for much longer. Why then is their forum, the fans’ forum, suddenly removed for no specified reason?

Many fans will join up in small clusters; in fact it has already started. I see this as a problem, especially when the Knights Forum was widely considered one of the best NRL Forums around.

I only hope that the site is indeed under a cloud of technical issues - I would much rather see the site offline for a week than on a permanent basis. If the site isn’t going to return, the very least the Knights fans deserve is to be informed that this is the case.

I personally think it is very disappointing that there is no mention of the true state of the forum on the website at present. Surely a general email sent out would be sufficient to simply inform regulars of what is going on. More than two days with no obvious explanation - I don’t agree with this fact.

Suggestions that the forum will not return are hopefully a fallacy - for the benefit of both the fans and the club. There isn’t much point having a website if there is little or no traffic to the site.

I hope all is resolved soon.

Yours faithfully,
-----(AKA Chook from the Forum)

antonius

Coach
Great letter Chook, I have sent one of my own to them, not as well put as yours but I'd urge everyone to do likewise, we have been treated very shodily I believe, and we shouldn't just meekly let it happen, voice your disapproval. :evil:

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm glad a found this forum, gees the forums have been going down lately, first rleague, then knights, hope this doesn't suffer the same fate. ANyways great to see everyone again.
cheers :)

antonius

Coach
Good to see you here Henry. I heard from Wayne this morning, he said discussion is still going on but it doesn't look good. I have also written to Ken Conway, expressing the opinion that we have been treated pretty badly. Don't know how much good it'll do though.

Spike

First Grade
Although I was more of a lurker rather than a contributor in the Knights offical forum, it's pretty disappointing that they've shut the place down without any reason given.

Hey Futurama fan, where did you get the good sized picture for an icon? I'm after a Zapp Branigan and could do with some help finding some.

antonius

Coach
Wayne has put a link to this site on the Knights Forum page, so at least people will be able find where we all went.