What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Night time GF Ratings A load of...

QldRabbit

Juniors
Team,

I'm sick to death of this rubbish talk of Sunday Night Grand Final's been a big ratings puller! Yes the figures say so, but if you think about it the statistics are a load of rubbish! WHY, well because of the time slot most people, especially those with kids and from non NSW states who have to go to work the next day are all at home watching the GF. Rather than the 3pm kick of it used to be. The 3pm Sunday GF would normally consist of a large gathering of family and friends getting on the jars of larger, with a couple sheep, pigs and steak been roasted on the bbq. Then all settling down around the ONE TV set. So FACT the same amount of people are watching the GF on the Sunday night time slot, BUT more televisions are been switched on. So we can't really judge the TV ratings when the veiwers are basically forced to watch the GF in the comfort of there own homes, and not 10 blokes on the turps vomiting 3kilos of coles snags down the back of his missus good lounge in front of the one tele. So Channel Nine and NRL pull your heads out of Gould's freckle and put it back on a Sunday arvo so we can all celebrate this great game, with tradition by getting full,. pulling each others finger and generally making gits of ourselves and keeping lounge cleaners in business.

;-)

Dogs Of War

Coach
I love night grand finals, but I reckon Saturday night would be even better, could have the world biggest BBQ (but I wouldn't invite fatty as he stuffed the last one).

pcpp

Juniors
I don't mind night GF's as long as it is given a decent pregame show and full coverage from 9-10am right through to 10:30pm (stopping for a news break at 6pm) on Grand Final day/night.

bartman

Immortal
Night grand finals have nothing on the afternoon ones, where free-to-air TV coverage would be from 10am-6pm, and if you went to the game you'd be home in Sydney by 6pm to catch the highlights again on the news.

ibeme

First Grade
The night GF doesn't fit your theory QLD. In NSW. GF weekend is a long weekend, so there's no school or work for most people the following day. BBq's and gatherings are still very possible and the ratings are still higher than they were for Sunday arvos.

Having said that, I still prefer Sunday arvo GF's

JW

Coach
I don't understand the "I can't have a family BBQ anymore" line.

Can't people have Barby's at night anymore? #-o #-o FFS.

Cheers.

miccle

Bench
I hate it just because of the NZ situation. 7:30 kick-off here is LATE over there. On a school night. Sorry kiwi kiddies - let's just stick to union over here :roll:

JW

Coach
It should be a 7:00pm kick-off and no later IMO.

Thats the only problem I have.

Other than that, I like the night GF.

Cheers.

Bengal

Juniors
JW said:
I don't understand the "I can't have a family BBQ anymore" line.

Can't people have Barby's at night anymore? #-o #-o FFS.

Cheers.

Night time barbie's aren't that cool when you're facing the start of a new working or school week the next day!

greeneyed

First Grade
It IS a 7pm kickoff. It is Sunday night to stay. Get used to it. Have a barbie from about 4pm, while Premier League is on.

My only complaint about the Channel 9 coverage on Sunday night is that they don't show what is happening at the ground. I like to SEE the pregame buildup as it happens on the field. It was supposed to be a whole lot more spectacular at dusk/night, but then they don't show it! Paul Vautin and co haven't given one single piece of rugby league analysis the whole season, and then they pretend they can do it during the pregame buildup!

Bengal

Juniors
Indeed it is a 9pm kick off (kiwi time). League fans will get used to it (unfortunately), but the swayers and the casual observers will have more choices (better TV) for there leisure time at that time of the night than they would have had early evening. As for kids, they'll be lucky to get a choice, bedo for a lot of them!
Hey and if it's all one-way traffic (a one-sided affair) League fan or no League fan I'm off to bed

I like the Sunday night GF the Sunday arvo one was OK as well but I do prefer the night ones.. The ole we can't have a BBQ line is ridiculous you can have a barbie during the arvo still.

Parents will let there kids stay up for the GF afterall it is only one night of the year. As a kid I was allowed to stay up for the Amco Cup on Wednesday nights.

legend

Coach
Night time for sure. It's bigger than ever these days and will one day rival the Super Bowl IMO.

Talk about your p*ss weak arguments!

The Grand Final is played earlier then formal Friday Night football games. Kids watch those...people stay up to watch those games.

9pm kickoff isnt bad for a NZ audience at all.
8pm kickoff is perfect for a QLD audience.

The Sunday night GF gets massive ratings which is good for the game. If you cant stay up that late.....then you have bigger problems then the Grand Final and its timing!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Sunday Afternoon grandfinals with the traditional BBQ. Show all three grades aswell. Not live or anything but atleast show the games.

Latest posts