What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Night time GF Ratings A load of...

salivor

First Grade
Razor said:
That's you. I'm talking most people. Most people can get away with less sleep than usual several days a year. How do you celebrate Origin?

Stop being selfish just because it suits you to be during the day. Look how many people work Sunday afternoon? A hell of a lot. How many people work Sunday night? Some do, but a lot less. So you think the NRL should cater towards the minority?

I don't celebrate Origin. Being a Kiwi I don't have the same attachment even though I follow Queensland passionatley. Origin is a soley NSW and QLD thing, the Grand Final on the other hand encompuses the whole competition and all areas involved in it.

Is NZ a minority now? 4 million people is some bloody minority. The coverage only finished at 12:30pm if you have pay TV by the way, add another hour to that for the other 3 million odd kiwis who only have access to the FTA coverage. It's not called selfishness, (well it is if we're talking about the NRL and NSW) it's called common sense.

I'm yet to see a valid argument from you on this subject Razor. The NRL shouldn't be forcing people to go out of their way to try and watch this match and enjoy it, they should be providing a time slot that suits ALL of the competition, not just NSW.

Razor

Coach
I'm yet to see a valid argument from you on this subject Razor. The NRL shouldn't be forcing people to go out of their way to try and watch this match and enjoy it, they should be providing a time slot that suits ALL of the competition, not just NSW.

What about the people that work during the day? I don't live in NSW. Daytime is fine as I no longer work during the day on Sunday, but nightime is much better. I can get away with 2 hours sleep once in a while. Also daytime allows you to do other work, like study before the match. If the match was during the day you wouldn't feel like studying after the match.

And if it's not good for you have the Monday off. If I want to do something else, I simply tell my boss, and he says it's fine if I have the day off, and I'm sure most bosses would be the same.

Bengal

Juniors
Razor said:

So you want tradition? So you think Rugby League should go back to the Saturday Afternoon slot?

There were only about 23-24 Sunday arvo Grand Finals, before that it was Saturday afternoon. Now it's Sunday Night.

This tradition business you're spewing out is pointless if you don't want a Saturday GF

You want to throw that in my face - will then, why don't we just turn the clock right back and return to our Union roots!

Are you in favour of night Grand Finals because they supposedly rate higher or because they suit you down to a tee?
If it's the former, then you've seen what I have previously written, therefore that argument doesn't hold water.
If it's the latter, then you're just a typical short-sighted (NSW) League fan.

Tradition is but one arguement for returning to day time GF's, you've yet to answer the loss of ratings in NZ issue!

salivor

First Grade
Razor said:

What about the people that work during the day? I don't live in NSW. Daytime is fine as I no longer work during the day on Sunday, but nightime is much better. I can get away with 2 hours sleep once in a while. Also daytime allows you to do other work, like study before the match. If the match was during the day you wouldn't feel like studying after the match.

And if it's not good for you have the Monday off. If I want to do something else, I simply tell my boss, and he says it's fine if I have the day off, and I'm sure most bosses would be the same.

Notice you didn't want to address my other two paragraphs. Your arguements there fell apart.

People working during the day on Sundays? That is a minority and you've already said that the NRL shouldn't cator to the minority or does that just get thrown out the window when it doesn't suit your argument?

Have the Monday off? As I said the NRL shouldn't be forcing people to go out of their way to watch and enjoy it's biggest showcase. They should be providing a timeslot that accessible for all areas involved in the competition which includes NZ.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Are you in favour of night Grand Finals because they supposedly rate higher or because they suit you down to a tee?

They don't suit me perfectly, being in NZ. But i like the atmosphere of night grand finals, and tradition in meant to be changed!

But for the love of god, SATURDAY NIGHT!

Bengal

Juniors
IanRitchie said:

They don't suit me perfectly, being in NZ. But i like the atmosphere of night grand finals, and tradition in meant to be changed!

But for the love of god, SATURDAY NIGHT!

Indeed, but how far to we go?
I mean if it’s a ratings and money thing then considering we all live in a global village these days, how long before the NRL starts touting the Grand Final to the highest bidder around the world?
You know how the game times have changed to suit TV interests. How much further will that go?
Will we start playing GF’s at a time to suit a much bigger International audience to that being offered by Australia and New Zealand?
When will we start giving a flying f*ck about tradition?
I see why Channel Nine get away with what they do now, because from what I’ve seen the average League fan cares little for tradition.

mullup

Juniors
It's simple math, some of us (the dipshits apparently) enjoyed many blissful years of the sunday arvo gathering, and some, having experimented with a grand final under lights, find it more to their liking.

The night grand final isn't an occasion, it's not unique IMO.

Who's ratings (where are they? URL please) say "the people" want this abomination?

If more people truely enjoy the Night GF more, then so be it.... in the meantime, count my vote as a firm "stick it up your arse".

Quigs

Immortal
It should be played at the traditional time and not the Channel Nine Time.

3pm Sunday arvo..... tizz the only way to go.

It was interesting to hear Webke come out on Queensland TV and say how he missus the Sunday afternoon GF, and the tradition of the day.
He also mentioned how he hears the punters saying that they want it back to the good old format.....

And I bloody agree. Even if he is a Bronco.

But whats another grand final. Ive been waiting for 37 years for me sharks to win one...... I am a patient man.

p-57.jpg

Cheers
Quigs

[/img]

Razor

Coach
Bengal said:

They suit the majority of people.

Look at this petition going around that the Courier Mail mentioned several times and how to contact the organisers.

In 2 weeks they have a whopping 120 signitures. The organiser says he's happy with the response and he can't claim that no one knows about it since it has been mentioned in the paper.

If it's the latter, then you're just a typical short-sighted (NSW) League fan.

I live in QLD you idiot

People working during the day on Sundays? That is a minority and you've already said that the NRL shouldn't cator to the minority or does that just get thrown out the window when it doesn't suit your argument?

Yes I've said the NRL shouldn't cater to minorites. More people work during the day than the night. So the NRL should not cater to the night working people and put it on in the day.

And not many people work during the day on Sunday? Probably 20% of people who work, work during the day on Sunday. Probably 0.5% of people who work, work during the night on Sunday.

You want to throw that in my face - will then, why don't we just turn the clock right back and return to our Union roots!

You're the one who's talking about tradition, not me. So why are you addressing that towards me?

salivor

First Grade
Razor said:
Yes I've said the NRL shouldn't cater to minorites. More people work during the day than the night. So the NRL should not cater to the night working people and put it on in the day.

And not many people work during the day on Sunday? Probably 20% of people who work, work during the day on Sunday. Probably 0.5% of people who work, work during the night on Sunday.

It's good to see that since every other arguement you've put up has fallen on it's arse that you've still got one thing to cling to :lol: .

I think it would be much closer to the 10% mark and that is a minority and going by your words not mine, the NRL shouldn't cator to minorities. New Zealand on the other hand has 4 million people, only about 1 million of which have access to pay tv so thats a lot of people put out by the ridiculous night slot of the GF. Yet because night gf's suit you down to a tee your prepared to throw that market away. To use your own words, don't be so selfish.

salivor

First Grade
STSAE said:
You are a whinger. The ratings say people want to watch night GFs. The last 3 GFs are the highest rating ever and all at night. People obviously want to watch the GF at night.

I assure you when your team is in a night GF and especially wins one, it is the big "event" of the year. Ask a Penrith, Roosters or Newcastle supporter and most of their fans will have fond memories of GF night.

Tradition has little to do with what time the GF is played. It is a rating thing. Will you people ever catch on?? Ignorance is bliss?? Dipshits!!

Well Brisbane have won 4 Grand Finals on Sunday arvos and one on a Saturday night and I can tell you which 4 I prefered and will always remember as long as I live.

Of course bloody Roosters fans will have fond memories of night time GF's considering it's been about 30 years since they won a day time GF. If Brisbane win this years GF the main thing I'll remember is having what should be a great experience ruined by the NRL not taking into account NZ viewers.

Razor

Coach
It should be played at the traditional time

Tradition takes time.

If you want to have tradition all the time the Grand Final will still be on Saturday afternoon

Razor

Coach
salivor said:
It's good to see that since every other arguement you've put up has fallen on it's arse that you've still got one thing to cling to :lol: .

I think it would be much closer to the 10% mark and that is a minority and going by your words not mine, the NRL shouldn't cator to minorities.

I repeat. The NRL should not cater towards minorities like you say. I agree with you. But more people will be available at night compared to day. So they should cater to the biggest group.

And only 10%? Go to your local shopping centre. All shops open until 4:00pm. Doctors/Dentists/etc are open Sundays until usually 5:00pm. Real Estate and other professional groups. That's the people who work during the day and not at night. You'll have more if you include them. But yes only a minority of people work Sunday night. A lot of people work during the day.

Yet because night gf's suit you down to a tee your prepared to throw that market away. To use your own words, don't be so selfish.

You're the selfish one.

Poll everyone in Australia and NZ. It'll say nighttime Grand Final is the way to go. Just because you can't get away with less than 6 hours sleep 1 night a year, doesn't mean everyone else can't.

salivor

First Grade
Razor said:
I repeat. The NRL should not cater towards minorities like you say. I agree with you. But more people will be available at night compared to day. So they should cater to the biggest group.

Ok considering you don't want to shoot straight we'll go down the line of simple questions:
Do you consider the New Zealand Audience important?
Do you consider New Zealand a minority?
Should the NRL take New Zealand audiences into consideration?

And only 10%? Go to your local shopping centre. All shops open until 4:00pm. Doctors/Dentists/etc are open Sundays until usually 5:00pm. Real Estate and other professional groups. That's the people who work during the day and not at night. You'll have more if you include them. But yes only a minority of people work Sunday night. A lot of people work during the day.

Ok well the two countries are quite different because in a hell of a lot of places in New Zealand shops are open in the mornings on Sundays but close by 12pm-1pm.

People working on Sundays are still a minority all in themselves whether we're talking about people who work in the afternoons or the evenings. The NRL shouldn't cator to minorities so people who work on Sundays shouldn't come into the equation.

You're the selfish one.

Poll everyone in Australia and NZ. It'll say nighttime Grand Final is the way to go. Just because you can't get away with less than 6 hours sleep 1 night a year, doesn't mean everyone else can't.

You're just assuming so will the court please whipe Razors comments from the records as they hold no substance.
It's not just me, it's everyone in New Zealand, can you please read that over and over again until you understand. Only 1 million have pay TV and the coverage still won't finish until past midnight. The other 3 million only have access to FTA coverage which is an hour delayed so we're talking about an even later finish. Yes as a diehard fan I can lump the Sunday night timeslot but the NRL shouldn't be making people go out of their way to watch the GF, they should be providing a suitable timeslot as the average viewer that just watches a couple of games a year will just give the GF a miss and go to bed.
That is selfishness from the NRL, NSW and yourself. Take the blinkers off and realise that New Zealand are a part of the competition and are being completely shafted when it comes to the biggest game of the year.

Clear enough for you?

Razor

Coach
That is selfishness from the NRL, NSW and yourself. Take the blinkers off and realise that New Zealand are a part of the competition and are being completely shafted when it comes to the biggest game of the year.

Clear enough for you?

You're a Kiwi so you'll like Union - personally I hate it. Do you complain about the 7:30pm Bledisoe Cup kickoffs in Australia? They'll be late in NZ as well.

salivor

First Grade
I can't stand Union but there is a push in NZ for Union test matches in this country at least to be played in the daytime. Generally though people will still get up and watch the tests in South Africa even though they are in the wee hours of the morning because Union is like a religion in this country.
League doesn't have anywhere near that sort of following so therefore can't afford to make people go out of their way to watch matches because they just won't.

QldRabbit

Juniors
I can't believe most of you either can't read or have completely missed the point, the old it rates better at night is a crock. It just means less group activities on Sunday night hence more TV sets are turned on instead of a large gathering around the one tele!

Latest posts