What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale extension

ALSGI

Bench
I'm an old St George fan that grew up in Kogarah and love my Dragons way too much.

Nighty is a legend (one of my favourite Dragons ever) and deserves every accolade he gets for what he's achieved.

The rapture over Nighty's extension really pisses me off though.

He's too slow FFS. It's not his age (like Luke Lewis) he's just too f**king slow to be a back and too small to be a forward.It should be the end of a great story. Meanwhile, the top teams have an attacking back line that don't really care about Nighty's brains, legend status or fans.

As a winger he's supposed to be an attacking weapon but is no more than a finisher close to the line. His kick returns are usually getting driven backwards or he spends so much effort in not getting driven back that he gains little metres and certainly provides NO opportunities for anyone that might consider supporting his runs. If he's anywhere near the sideline in an attacking situation he'll either get driven over or shut down the attack or throw the ball to some one.....

He's gone. Our little legend is too slow NOW and without speed can't compensate for his size.

2018 he'll get better right?

Yes, he's a leader and senior player and I would love him to support our juniors but I'm a Dragons fan before I'm a Nighty fan and he shouldn't be preventing our junior flyers coming through.

Bad signing imo if they want him to play FG. Or is this just another 'boys club' beginning for one of our best.

I'm an old St George fan that grew up in Kogarah and love my Dragons way too much.

Nighty is a legend (one of my favourite Dragons ever) and deserves every accolade he gets for what he's achieved.

The rapture over Nighty's extension really pisses me off though.

He's too slow FFS. It's not his age (like Luke Lewis) he's just too f**king slow to be a back and too small to be a forward.It should be the end of a great story. Meanwhile, the top teams have an attacking back line that don't really care about Nighty's brains, legend status or fans.

As a winger he's supposed to be an attacking weapon but is no more than a finisher close to the line. His kick returns are usually getting driven backwards or he spends so much effort in not getting driven back that he gains little metres and certainly provides NO opportunities for anyone that might consider supporting his runs. If he's anywhere near the sideline in an attacking situation he'll either get driven over or shut down the attack or throw the ball to some one.....

He's gone. Our little legend is too slow NOW and without speed can't compensate for his size.

2018 he'll get better right?

Yes, he's a leader and senior player and I would love him to support our juniors but I'm a Dragons fan before I'm a Nighty fan and he shouldn't be preventing our junior flyers coming through.

Bad signing imo if they want him to play FG. Or is this just another 'boys club' beginning for one of our best.
I think your general message that it is time for a changing of the guard, definitely has merit.
Unfortunately, the stats do not support many of your assertions.
1. He makes enormous metres consistently, every week.
2. He is the best bomb defuser in the team.
3. He is still our best finisher and scores plenty of tries when opportunities are created out wide.
4. You can't easily replace his experience and level headedness.
I would be looking at other weak links in our back line before retiring Nightingale prematurely.

dragon thomo

Juniors
I dont think we should have signed Jason again as it is time to move forward with the younger brigade. He is a champion for the club and always will be with me, the problem we have also is a lack of genuine speed in the team and it is out wide we get caught out all the time. I thought this was going to be his last year.

hewi

Bench
I dont think we should have signed Jason again as it is time to move forward with the younger brigade. He is a champion for the club and always will be with me, the problem we have also is a lack of genuine speed in the team and it is out wide we get caught out all the time. I thought this was going to be his last year.

Depends what he cost?

MilanDragon

Juniors
I understand where you're coming from Alsgi but don't necessarily agree with everything you stated. I think he does add value but you're correct, he's not quick - then again no one in our backline is overly quick. If we had quick backs in other spots + Nighty then it may not be as big an issue.

However, I believe it's a smart signing as he is eligible for salary cap exemption up to the total 300k (only one at the club that qualifies). So that means we get a free player on our Cap, which means we can spend more elsewhere. The Down side of that is, is he blocking someone else's position?

ieatbread

Juniors
Great winger in his day but I'm a bit unenthused about this.
Hornby stayed one year too long. So did coops. I think next year will be nightys one year too long.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I truly believe that Nighty knows he's limitations nowand next year I think you'll find him as the number 17 most of the year which really isn't a bad option as he could cover Wing or full-back if necessary.
It also said in his signing that he will spend a lot of time with the juniors tutoring them which I think is his mission next year.

Dragsters

First Grade
If they intend to play him at fullback next season that is a bad move imo.

Look at Bmoz at the dogs. They played him at fullback, he started out strong then waned with the extra workload, then got injured. He came back and the same pattern repeated itself until they realised that he is a great winger and not a fullback.

Gypsy is fine for a few games the back but is not a season long solution, especially at his age.

Put him back on his preferred wing and find another winger with speed and play a proper fullback at the back.

possm

Coach
I understand where you're coming from Alsgi but don't necessarily agree with everything you stated. I think he does add value but you're correct, he's not quick - then again no one in our backline is overly quick. If we had quick backs in other spots + Nighty then it may not be as big an issue.

However, I believe it's a smart signing as he is eligible for salary cap exemption up to the total 300k (only one at the club that qualifies). So that means we get a free player on our Cap, which means we can spend more elsewhere. The Down side of that is, is he blocking someone else's position?
De Belin and Nightingale are the two players who qualify for cap exemption of 150k each.

Latest posts