What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no 16th team

HOT028

Juniors
i just heard there will not be a 16th team in 2006 but they will have a look again next year, i thought they should of put a team in, the weekend was boring i wanted to watch the tigers play someone. i hate the bye

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Look I can see why they have elected not to include another team in 2006 and thats because of the majority rules concept with the current NRL clubs - however I think that decision could very well be one that bites them on the rear end :(

GC should of been included but hey I was a fan of the Reds as well and well it looks like that area will be Union in the not too distant future :(

BuffaloRules

Coach
I really would have preferred them to bring in the Gold Coast.... ( could never see the point of the Central Coast...), for the overall good of the game, and to alleviate the AFL threat in SE Qld.

On the up side, I think our chances of retaining Benji beyond next season have just improved remarkably....

The 16th Franchise would have been able to offer Benji 450k per year to obtain some instant credibility....

Jux

Juniors
BuffaloRules said:
I really would have preferred them to bring in the Gold Coast.... ( could never see the point of the Central Coast...), for the overall good of the game, and to alleviate the AFL threat in SE Qld.

On the up side, I think our chances of retaining Benji beyond next season have just improved remarkably....

The 16th Franchise would have been able to offer Benji 450k per year to obtain some instant credibility....

Any club offering Benji 450k/year at the moment would, IMO, be LOSING any credibility it had !

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm not saying his worth the money, but a new team starting from scratch would have to pay some big dollars to get a young talent, someone to build their future with....

Who else is going to generate some publicity and interest for them, Nick Graham?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
BuffaloRules said:

I agree, mainly because if the CC bid did get in all I could see would be the Knights out of the comp due to no funding by 2010 since they don't have a leagues club to help back them not to mention the great talent that is running around in the QLD Cup - it is a better comp by a mile over PL

BuffaloRules said:

And this is another reason although I have this feeling that Brisbane and the Warriors will be making a very big bid in his direction if he hasn't resigned by then - To be honest I think if he hasn't signed with us by june 30 next year he could very well be signed by NZ Rugby!

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm sure he will go for big money next year, whatever his decision.

I think we have more chance of outbidding Brisbane and the Warriors though, then a new team starting from scratch with their whole salary cap to play with...

I haven't heard about his possible interest in Rugby.... if he makes this choice at leat I could accept it more then him going to another NRL club...

Jux

Juniors
BuffaloRules said:
I'm sure he will go for big money next year, whatever his decision.

I think we have more chance of outbidding Brisbane and the Warriors though, then a new team starting from scratch with their whole salary cap to play with...

I haven't heard about his possible interest in Rugby.... if he makes this choice at leat I could accept it more then him going to another NRL club...

So let me get this straight. You think that a new team coming into the comp, with say a $3.5 mill salary cap, will blow almost one seventh of it on a twenty year-old utility player with a handful of 1st grade games under his belt ??

Tell me, you're not related to Martin Bullock by chance ??

BuffaloRules

Coach
OK, the actual would pay could be less than $450,000, I guess we will never know now...

If Manly can pay Kite $380k, I think that more money is not unreasonable for Marshall...

Tell me, do you think they would have been able to offer him more money than what the Tigers would have been able to offer him??

Jux

Juniors
BuffaloRules said:
OK, the actual would pay could be less than $450,000, I guess we will never know now...

If Manly can pay Kite $380k, I think that more money is not unreasonable for Marshall...

Tell me, do you think they would have been able to offer him more money than what the Tigers would have been able to offer him??

No. Not if they wanted to be successful ! They would have had to offer a bunch of Brent Kites $380k to get a decent pack for the likes of Benji to show anything.

McGrime

Juniors
I was there when we defeated the Bulldogs in round 1 when 16,000 people turned up with 4 days notice ( most of them supporting WT ) I believe that the CC ability to draw a crowd to any game that is played there has added to the NRL decision "not to make a decision".
They figure they are getting up to 6 NRL games there a year anyway ( more than Leichhardt & Campbelltown will get in total next year ) so why even worry about splitting the share of the $$$ with another franchise.
I also believe this no decision will cost the code in the future through the number of kids that will drift firstly to Rugby & AFL but also the big sleeper in Australia SOCCER.
There is already a bid from the Central Coast Mariners to join the new National League which will kick off towards the end of next year. The number of juniors playing this game far outweighs what the other codes are pulling.
They only need a performing National Team whether it be at the Olympics or a qualification for the next World Cup and the are a serious threat not just in this area.
Rugby Union will now consider a 14th team (from Australia) and a bid will come from the C.C. after hosting in front of sellout 20,000 crowds three World Cup Rugby Union games and recently a Test Match between South Africa and the Pacific Islanders local Rugby Union has never been stronger.
Central Coast rugby league supporters have been shafted once again by the people who run the game, for a lot of supporters that I know personally the Super League caused the inital damage followed by the relocation of a joint venture
( Virtually Manly ) that no one wanted to support.
And now they have had enough, the NRL has turned their back on them and they will slowly but surley return the favour.

super_coach

First Grade
I think the gold coast and the central coast deserve a team and need a team--but the nrl have done the right thing--the game cant suport the teams their got at present--i also dont see another 60 first grade playes running around--I think the nrl are buying time for either a club or two reloctaing,or going belly up--both are heavily on the cards--COASTIES be patient you will get your teams

McGrime

Juniors
:( To late the Rugby League supporters of the Central Coast are departing the game as we speak.
I here it in the pubs & clubs, I hear it on the street, they have been F**ked by the NRL once again........................