What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Australian radio coverage of World Cup

gUt

Coach
I don't click on DT links out of principle but where are the ABC? They dedicate 2 channels to the AFL...

I read the article. The key parts in it are -

Rugby league fans will not be able to listen to the Kangaroos take on England on Friday night, nor any other international for the next month after International Management Group failed to lock in a deal with an Australian network.

Triple M and the ABC were not prepared to pay for the rights, understood to be as little as $50,000, because of their Ashes commitments.

and..

Several other AM and FM stations passed on the rights before SBS Digital 3 showed interest, but ‘geo-blocking’’ issues forced them to abandon their plans on Wednesday.

With the radio rights already sold in England and the Pacific, SBS did not have the technology in place to prevent their call from being heard outside of Australia.

SBS has the local radio rights for next year’s FIFA World Cup, and they were keen to use the Rugby League World Cup as a ‘’test run’’.

The call would have also been heard on their Facebook page and SBS website.

DC_fan

Coach
Radio rights should never have been sold off. Give them away for free to get maximum coverage. It makes us f**k all money anyway. Yet another example of hurting the game looking to eek out any tiny amounts of money we can.

I agree, but the response would be that they would be cheapening the tournament by doing so

DC_fan

Coach
Who cares, radio is an all but dead medium. Now they've tried to sell it for peanuts and failed.

Don't try and tell that to Ray Hadley. But seriously, I don't see the RLWC not being covered by radio being a problem.

thorson1987

Coach
Who cares, radio is an all but dead medium. Now they've tried to sell it for peanuts and failed.

The RLIF did sell the rights.

IMG failed to onsell in Australia. SBS couldn't guarantee that their broadcast wouldn't be heard outside of Aus.

This is on them not the RLIF. (although I do agree with radio rights just being given out)

Latest posts