What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Bulldogs to be charged ?

gr8_1

Juniors
Just heard on Ch10 news that Malcolm Noad is confident "no charges" will be brought upon any players over the gang rape allegations.

:roll:

ibeme

First Grade
Strange call. Maybe he's just talking the talk. I only caught the tail of that interview, so I don't know if he's based his opinion on talks with police

Dogs Of War

Coach
Mortimer quit Dogs after snub by board
By Steve Mascord and Roy Masters
April 14, 2004

National Rugby League officials last night approved a Bulldogs plan to stand down immediately any player charged over sexual assault allegations.

Dogs chairman George Peponis had earlier undertaken to suspend players guilty of breaking internal club rules at Coffs Harbour on February 22 as soon as police investigations into rape claims on the same evening were complete.

But new CEO Malcolm Noad went a step further after his first full day in the role last night when he said a player, or players, were likely to be suspended in direct response to any charges.

"That will be a board decision at the end of the day but in the discussions I have had to date with the chairman, he has certainly indicated and I agreee ... that they would be stood down," Noad told Sydney's Channel Ten.

Asked if he was confident there would be no charges, he answered: "I've now had a briefing. It's too early to speculate and I don't think it would really be appropriate to do that but I'm reasonably confident."

NRL chief executive David Gallop appeared to support the Bulldogs plan, saying: "If charges of the nature that has been speculated are made, the club would have to look seriously at whether those players should continue to play ... prior to a criminal trial."

advertisement

advertisement

The development came on the same day as former Bulldogs director Peter Mortimer said he had quit because he was not consulted over several decisions - including the acceptance of brother Steve's resignation as chief executive.

Peter Mortimer stood down 10 days ago but news of his departure only came to light yesterday, with officials suggesting travel time from central western NSW was a factor.

But the former Dogs centre said: "The board made a couple of decisions I wasn't party to so I don't see any point in being on it - simple as that.

"One of them was the sacking of the CEO. Officially he wasn't sacked ... the parting of the ways.

"There were a couple of other issues I don't want to talk about but it was nothing to do with players."

Mortimer said there were at least two other directors also bypassed in the decision making process. He said he held no grudges and would continue to attend matches.

"I've got a growing wine business, I've got a family and if they don't want to inform me on decisons of that importance then there's no point in me being there," he said.

In a further headache for the club, today's edition of Rugby League Week reports that star Braith Anasta's agent has held talks with rugby union officials.

I think that sums it up.

ibeme

First Grade
Ray Hadley confirmed that he had information from a source within the DPP indicating that no charges would be laid due to lack of evidence.

He also mentioned that the police officer who spoker to the media when the alledged assault was reported was in hot water. Apparently, the officer said that they were talking with the victim of a serious sexual assault. He's in hot water for prejudicing the case, because they had no evidence to suggest that that was the case then, and none to suggest it now. He should have said 'alledged'.

ouwet

Bench
ibeme said:
Ray Hadley confirmed that he had information from a source within the DPP indicating that no charges would be laid due to lack of evidence.

He also mentioned that the police officer who spoker to the media when the alledged assault was reported was in hot water. Apparently, the officer said that they were talking with the victim of a serious sexual assault. He's in hot water for prejudicing the case, because they had no evidence to suggest that that was the case then, and none to suggest it now. He should have said 'alledged'.

And so the idiot should be!!
Was it ever in doubt that no charges would be laid? It was her word against theirs... No witness, DNA? They admitted having sex consentually with her (That takes that out)... THe Police had nothing...

Lets Get On With Footy...

Eels Dude

Coach
Just because no charges are laid does not mean the players are innocent, all it means is there is not enough evidence to charge them. This won't be over, there'll still be a dark cloud hanging over the club for a long time.

ibeme

First Grade
As I said in another forum, I can only hope that it all ends with an exclamation mark rather than a question mark.

hrundi99

First Grade
Assuming no criminal charges are laid, the individuals involved should still be stood down from the team for a certain period of time for being responsible for the negative media.

If the event hadn't happened, there wouldn't have been a story.

innsaneink

Referee
LebaneseForces said:
ibeme said:

Was it ever in doubt that no charges would be laid? It was her word against theirs... No witness, DNA? They admitted having sex consentually with her (That takes that out)... THe Police had nothing...

Idiot.
I suppose you will think.....in the event that no charges are in fact laid....that that in fact means that nothing illegal occurred in Coffs.

From ur post it also suggests that becoz a cop made an error it somehow vindicates bulldogs players.

I hope if someone is guilty of something then they are punished....
I hope if nothing illegal occurred then thats shown to be the case.

But too often people get off without punishment becoz of technicalities in the law.

The law is an ass.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Players still breached the code of conduct and should be punished werther charges are layed or not

If charges are not layed the players are only innocent in the eyes of the law, for the rest of us if it ends in lack of evidence there will still be a question mark over them which isnt good IMHO

Kiwi

First Grade
LebaneseForces said:
ibeme said:

There was a witness, but the witness in question refused to come forward to protect his team mates, meaning he might as well have been involved.

Basically you are taking the simple minded stance of their word against the players. Of course you are gonna back the players, they play for your team.

Finally, didn't that player manager mortimer guy come out and say something happened, immoral, and it was up to the cops to determine if it was illegal or not. Obviously they thought it was illegal, shame the evidence doesn't say enough to charge and convict the animals. The team will ALWAYS be tarnished untill every one of the current squad are gone.

Bulldogs = Salary cap cheating druggo rapists

t-ba

Post Whore
Lets hope the players who had left 'samples' in the women are deregistered regardless. Rather serious breach of the code of conduct whether or not charges are laid.

If it's a pay out, then Noad is nothing more than a continuation of the old regime.

ibeme

First Grade
Kiwi,

Can you prove that there was a wittness. Even the newspapers doubted this.

Kiwi

First Grade
ibeme said:
Kiwi,

Can you prove that there was a wittness. Even the newspapers doubted this.

The same newspapers that reported the girl in question was helped to a room by a player who saw what happened and a maid where she called the cops.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Of corse this is only my opinion and i could and probably am completly wrong
but given everything that has gone on, it would be easy for a small exchange to take place to make this uglyness go away

i really think this needs a straight yes/no answer. If its droped due to lack of evidence then there will always be a question mark

hrundi99

First Grade
Assuming no criminal charges are laid, the individuals involved should still be stood down from the team for a certain period of time for being responsible for the negative media.

If the event hadn't happened, there wouldn't have been a story.

Kiwi

First Grade
I think the Bulldogs should change the teams logo from a Bulldog to a group of drug sniffer dogs having their way with a poodle on a bed of cash.

Latest posts