What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Deal Nev

mulvihill

Juniors
He has looked anything but a premiership winning halfback this yr. He struggles without Benji beside him. 450k is massive overs

super_coach

First Grade
Very simple--demand and supply--an average no7 can command good dollars.So when a good one hits the market,than the bidding gets hot.

As for princes form,well very hard to put your stamp on a game when the forwards are getting smashed. Also ask Sheens for a ranking of Benji performance this year,I think you will find he gave him a pass in one match only.

chopsy_05

Juniors
We had alot smaller forwards last year, yet Prince had the confidence to throw the ball wide and played a more attacking style that we all know and loved. That has not been there this year and Prince's form has gone downhill rapidly. Like I said if you think 450,000 isn't overs good luck to you but the fact that he accepted a deal with another club for considerable dollars less should show you that it was.

mulvihill

Juniors
It ain't the size of the forwards it's the size of the ruck speed. So Prince is getting less time to pick his spot with his kicking. LAst season he had years to pick his spot and kick it pretty much where he wanted (when we were on our run). This year he has the defences on him because of the slower rucks and is picking out fullbacks and wingers on the full regularly or kicking without much depth.

That said there is no goalkicker in the comp who hits their shots for goals with such timing and so little effort. He is a very very sweet striker of a ball and makes it look effortless

aids

Bench
on the original post, Villa is a grub and not worth the effort signing him.

scarcev

Juniors
chopsy_05 said:
The question is do you watch football....
The tigers were apparently going to pay $450,000 to retain him. Sure he had a good season last year but 2004 was disappointing as has his 2006. It's safe to say that Prince shines when he has Benji next to him. If you think $450,000 isn't an over for him then good luck to you, but paying that for Prince would've ensured that we would not have been able to retain alot of our juniors coming through.

I thought you meant in 2003 when we signed him he cost overs!

brook

First Grade
Some good news - the balmain website is reporting that Moa and Saffy are now signed to the end of next year.

Gus22

Juniors
How can anyone criticize McDonell or the clubs player recruitment/retention policy? We have just won a premiership & not spent the full amount allowed under the salary cap. What more do people want?

For me, it's a case of "more of the same please!".

mulvihill

Juniors
Exactly. ANd it doesn't look like the production line has stopped either. He is building a successful club that brings through it's own rather than having to pay overs for sh*t a la easts and souths

super_coach

First Grade
To keep a team at the top you need
1 a development programe
2 a recruitment programe
3 a retrentchment programe

As people have said we have a ton of talent comming through but we also have to look to 2007 and see what our short falls are and try and fix the problem.
Front row will be an issue,yes we have a few young ones comming through and we have just got a couple more from the mark down basket.Back up 1/2 are another issue.People dont come from the reggies and perform week in and week out.They tend to be up and down for a few years.To be able to fast track youth you need a team thats is winning and to get a team winning you need a mix of experience skill and youth
I maybe wrong but without a standout front rower in 2007 we will struggle to keep up with the good sides

Gus22

Juniors
super_coach said:
1 a development programe
2 a recruitment programe

As people have said we have a ton of talent comming through but we also have to look to 2007 and see what our short falls are and try and fix the problem.
Front row will be an issue,yes we have a few young ones comming through and we have just got a couple more from the mark down basket.Back up 1/2 are another issue.People dont come from the reggies and perform week in and week out.They tend to be up and down for a few years.To be able to fast track youth you need a team thats is winning and to get a team winning you need a mix of experience skill and youth
I maybe wrong but without a standout front rower in 2007 we will struggle to keep up with the good sides

Gus22

Juniors
This post could have been written for the start of the 2005 season & we all know how that turned out. Back then we were all worried our light weight pack would get steam-rolled, nullifying the brilliance of our backline.

Yes we look a little bit light for props in 2007 with Skandalis & Laffranchi going, but we can only SENSIBLY recruit what becomes available. Asostasi for example is going to be great front rower but a silly purchase for us at 400K+, when we have Benji, Farah, Collis, Hodgson, Fulton, Lawrence, etc. to retain. Ditto Myles to a lesser extent. Villasante would have been a good buy at the right price as he's selling his wares on the form he displayed 3 years ago. Not worth the risk if big dollars are asked.

We have a lot of props under 25 (Galloway, Gibbs, Moa, Saffy) who have their best years still ahead of them. It's reasonable to expect that at least one of these guys will kick on. Add Payten & O'Hara to the list, who aren't exactly pensioners themselves, & the front row roster isn't as hopeless as some may think.

The talent coming through the juniors at the moment is unbelievably good. This is not happening by accident. It is a result of planning & management. Someone knows what they are doing (Noyce/McDonnell/Sheens/Simmons)

Gus22

Juniors
super_coach said:
1 a development programe
2 a recruitment programe

Vicious

Bench
Why an up and down half fit journey man in Peter Lewis was signed instead of a loyal Magpie with size and a good offload in Ray Cashmere is really beyond me ???

Miracle Balls

Juniors
Vicious said:
Why an up and down half fit journey man in Peter Lewis was signed instead of a loyal Magpie with size and a good offload in Ray Cashmere is really beyond me ???

Agreed. Probably the same great minds who let a fantastic young local talent like Leichhardt Wanderers Josh Lewis, who's presently showing massive potential at the Roosters, slip away so they can sign reserve graders from Penrith and continue their fascination with Kiwi kids who happen to go to a certain school on the Gold Coast.

brook

First Grade
At least the kiwi kids have talent - although I'll take a talented local over an equally talented import any day. The constant signing of other teams rejects is a massive annoyance though, especially when due to the current set-up of the teams they ALL get lumped with Balmain. It gives very little room for progression to the real talent we already have at the club, especially with the fact they play these wests tigers mistakes ahead of Balmain contracted players regardless of form.

We have arguably the best forward pack in the jersey flegg comp this year and I wonder where these kids will be expected to play next year when the PL team is full of this seasons fantastic signings.

Meanwhile sundays paper said we were talking to Chris Walker of all people??

Vicious

Bench
Miracle Balls said:
Agreed. Probably the same great minds who let a fantastic young local talent like Leichhardt Wanderers Josh Lewis, who's presently showing massive potential at the Roosters, slip away so they can sign reserve graders from Penrith and continue their fascination with Kiwi kids who happen to go to a certain school on the Gold Coast.

Yep and from what i`ve heard, we might now find it hard to get Josh back, even at the right price ???

mulvihill

Juniors
We got Peter Lewis. Age 45, first grade games 0. Perhaps we have seen something everyone else missed ???

Latest posts