What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No draws in 2015 / Golden point

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I was having a look through the results this year and noticed there wasn't a single drawn/tied game. I hadn't seen this raised earlier so apologies if it was.

Has this ever happened before? Either way, what do people think about the decline of the draw since the introduction of golden point?

Charlie124

First Grade
Golden point gets the idiots excited so it wont be going anywhere. Id prefer to have a draw for regular season games, reserve golden point for finals games and origin only. If scores are locked at the 70th minute youre going to see field goals anyway, so its not like theres going to be a huge amount of draws by getting rid of golden point.

undertaker

Coach
I was having a look through the results this year and noticed there wasn't a single drawn/tied game. I hadn't seen this raised earlier so apologies if it was.

Has this ever happened before? Either way, what do people think about the decline of the draw since the introduction of golden point?

No draws last year as well:lol:

Last Week

Bench
Yeah, it's not going any where. But I'd like to see it extended a bit. Have 5 minutes each way, regardless if one team scores or not. So have extra time, but not golden point.

That way, draws can still happen and it stops the stupid need field goal-athon some what. Tries are more likely.

Also, if it goes to extra time, both teams should still get the 1 point. If someone wins, that team gets an extra point. The loser still gets their point.

Charlie124

First Grade
Yeah, it's not going any where. But I'd like to see it extended a bit. Have 5 minutes each way, regardless if one team scores or not. So have extra time, but not golden point.

That way, draws can still happen and it stops the stupid need field goal-athon some what. Tries are more likely.

Also, if it goes to extra time, both teams should still get the 1 point. If someone wins, that team gets an extra point. The loser still gets their point.

No, for two big reasons.

1. Games cannot be worth different amounts of competition points, thats just stupid.
2. Losing teams should never get competition points, no matter what the circumstance. Losing a game in the 81st minute shouldnt be any different for losing in the 79th.

ellskimore

Juniors
I don't understand why Golden Point is considered more 'exciting' than extra-time. In extra-time a team gets to reply to a field goal. You are also far more likely to see a try scored. The pressure and intensity will not drop away.
They should go back to the system they had in place before. Draws in regular season. Extra-time for finals.

whall15

Coach
Should be a draw in regular season then in finals 10 minute halves of extra time plus golden point if still a draw.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I don't understand why Golden Point is considered more 'exciting' than extra-time. In extra-time a team gets to reply to a field goal. You are also far more likely to see a try scored. The pressure and intensity will not drop away.
They should go back to the system they had in place before. Draws in regular season. Extra-time for finals.

Bang on the money.

I actually like having a draw in normal season. You stopped the other team from beating you within regulation time, should be rewarded for it.

For finals and I'd say SoO as well, go to extra time. 2 periods of say 7 minutes (5 too short, 10 too long imo), if still tied after that, go another 2 periods etc etc until we have a winner.

Golden point for finals and SOO is shockingly bad.

There is a realistic chance that you can tie the game up, and then lose in GP without touching the ball.

For example. You kick off, the other team marches up the field and slots a 40m field goal.

While that's not ideal in club games I can swallow it but for grand finals and the like that's just a terribly unfair set up. Even in park oztag they play golden try but if you concede in the first set you get one set as a right of reply.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Golden Point is a ridiculously artificial way to settle a game. I don't understand at all why a draw is considered a bad thing in the regular season.

Extra time would be better than golden point for the reasons mentioned. First to score is a complete lottery, and not necessarily a reflection on ability at all.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Golden point for finals and SOO is shockingly bad.

There is a realistic chance that you can tie the game up, and then lose in GP without touching the ball.

For example. You kick off, the other team marches up the field and slots a 40m field goal.

While that's not ideal in club games I can swallow it but for grand finals and the like that's just a terribly unfair set up. Even in park oztag they play golden try but if you concede in the first set you get one set as a right of reply.

This is true.

POPEYE

Coach
F**k golden point, far too much pandering to the media as it is, may as well watch Soccer

morley101

Juniors
7 tackles if you miss a field goal ensures another chance of the field goal down the other end.

Burwood

Bench
I wonder what the stats are for the team winning the toss going on to win in golden point?

GongPanther

Referee
A draw is a draw.

It doesn't take more out of the players,if that is a case.

We haven't seen it yet,but if a team plays two extra time games in a row,how are they going to be if they play on the next Thursday or Friday?

Sure it's all hypothetical,but these scenarios could eventuate.

Get the draw back...at least both sides take something back after a torrid 80 minutes.

Last Week

Bench

Ultimately, this would be ideal.

Regular season;
Scores equal after 80 minutes = Draw.

Finals/Origin;
Scores equal after 80 minutes = 2x 10 minute halves. 100 minutes. (I could live if it were just 5 minute halves.)
Scores equal after 100 minutes = Golden point.

Jason Maher

Immortal

So obvious, only the powers that be in rugby league could miss it.