What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No excuse for Joey's swearing: Minister

northey

First Grade
There is no excuse for Andrew Johns swearing at a referee, NSW Minister for Sport and Recreation Sandra Nori says.
The Newcastle Knights captain could find himself in hot water with the NRL's match review committee after allegedly swearing at a touch judge in the dying moments of his team's 16-14 loss to Manly on Friday night.
NRL players must remain mindful of their status in the community, Ms Nori said.
"Whilst I appreciate all games are extremely crucial with the finals just around the corner, all players must remember there are lots of people, particularly young fans and young players, watching their behaviour," she said in a statement.
"I know that Andrew Johns is a passionate player and under a lot of pressure when it comes down to the wire in tight games but there is never any excuse for swearing at an official."

www.smh.com.au/sport

Risa

Bench
Wow they are really going on about this one. Bet if it was a lesser known player hardly anyone would be commenting about it.

Geez, it's done and dusted, stop going on about it. Charge him or don't charge him, just lay the situation to rest.

cram

Bench
And what has it got to do with Sandra. She would be best suited to worry about running a State that her and her cronies have ridden into the ground over the past few years and when it comes times to vote Sandra who really cares what you think about players in the NRL and what they are doing....

I am sick to death at the way this is being beaten up by the media...thank God for Joey making the news, lets not worry about Israel boming Lebanon or people being killed in Iraq...hey a player ALLEGEDELY swearing at the touch judge is much more important.

And on the point of touch judges what use are they.....they never see anything when they should...its like putting robots on the line with flags.

I think its time to have some happy pills....lol

gumbi

Juniors
Isn't there some corporate box Sandra should be in? I think her and her govt are a pack of f.... c....

Can't believe she would even bother to comment on it. Talk about a storm in a teacup.

Burwood

Bench
Of course her whole argument is based on the assumption that Johns swore at the touch judge.

Phil Gould's comments on the Sunday Roast this morning summed up what happened fairly well- when players are out on the football field that pretty much only know two words in the heat of the moment, f*&^ and c$#*. Whenever something happens, whether it be a bad pass, bad call, missed tackle or whatever, these are the two words that automatically come into the player's head. Always has been, always will be.

Stranger

Coach
Risa said:
Wow they are really going on about this one. Bet if it was a lesser known player hardly anyone would be commenting about it.

Geez, it's done and dusted, stop going on about it. Charge him or don't charge him, just lay the situation to rest.

You mean someone like Quinn?

Gene Krupa

Referee
Sandra needs to grow a pair. And a politition critizising someone for the language they use? Perlezze!

PrideKnight

Bench
i think sandra needs a good f... in her c...

Cram i think robots would do a better job, at least they couldnt get paid off or something

Ben

Bench
If you are close to the sideline you will hear colourful language all the time. What is the difference to a young kid if you swear at a touch judge or you hear swearing amonst the players. Same thing and i don't see what people see as the problem.

cram

Bench
Of course it is very detrimental for a childs development to hear someone swearing at someone else, however, we have no problems with children playing violent games on playstations and the like. The same people who complain about football players swearing are more then likely allowing their children to play games like Grand Theft San Andreas' allowing their children to assault, kill and swear at innocent indviduals and lets not get started on the sex side of the game...double standards...never.

PrideKnight

Bench
well thats the big thing isnt it, you can tout the fact that these guys are supposed to be positive role models as much as you like, but what difference is it gunna make?

these guys were all kids once too, theyve learned harsh language

what do the moral brigade think they are going to do? breed swearing out of humanity? thats gunna take a few millenia of non verbal communication

they are gunna pick it up somewhere arent they?

really annoys the crap out of me, bloody PC thugs... (yeah ive been called a greasy thug too, and it never stops hurting)

Ok..watching the storm/brisbane game..storm score..Up goes the bench with a Big..F" yeah!"..national television....you wont hear boo cause you cant ban the word :roll:

aqua_duck

Coach
Sandra Nori is a bloody politician who wouldn't know much about sport besides from an administrative level. I mean seriously who cares what Sandra Nori thinks. She also jumped on the bandwagon made some comments about Kapo O panga even though she probably has very little knowledge about the all blacks and maori culture.

northey

First Grade
Newcastle skipper Andrew Johns is set to be hauled over the coals by the NRL after remaining unrepentant for his expletive-laden spray at sideline official Matt Cecchin in the dramatic final moments of Friday night's loss to Manly.

Johns said he would not apologise to Cecchin after he was accused of calling him a "f...ing c..." as the Knights playmaker led a chorus of protests at a dubious call from referee Paul Simpkins which ended Newcastle's hopes of snatching the game at the death.

"If anyone should be apologising, it is him," Johns said in his column in the Sunday Telegraph.

"Let me say here and now that what I said wasn't directed at him and the language I used was heat of the moment stuff.

"People will criticise me for swearing even though we are all guilty of it and that's fine. I'll just have to wear that.

"But emotion is something I can't turn on and off like a tap."

His lack of contrition isn't likely to go down well with NRL chief executive David Gallop, who declined to comment on the issue.

Johns may yet be charged by the match review committee for his outburst, while Knights coach Michael Hagan is also likely to be disciplined for defending Johns, saying in the post match press conference: "I think he would be entitled to swear at him."

Newcastle hooker Danny Buderus said the general public did not appreciate the pressure all players were under.

The Sea Eagles leapfrogged the Knights into third place courtesy of Friday night's win.

"You have all these people ... that can sit on the sideline and judge Andrew Johns and people that play the game but so much is riding on these games these days, it's a very pressured situation," Buderus told Channel Seven's Sportsworld program.

"You don't condone yelling at referees but sometimes things can happen.

"Joey's obviously a very scrutinised player every time he goes out on the field. Andrew Johns is a marquee player of the game and he's our captain and he leads from the front.

"Rugby league is a passionate game, a very emotional game and these things happen out on the field."

NSW Minister for Sport and Recreation Sandra Nori said there was no excuse for Johns swearing at the touch judge.

"Whilst I appreciate all games are extremely crucial with the finals just around the corner, all players must remember there are lots of people, particularly young fans and young players, watching their behaviour," she said in a statement.

"I know that Andrew Johns is a passionate player and under a lot of pressure when it comes down to the wire in tight games but there is never any excuse for swearing at an official."

www.smh.com.au

chinorocks

Juniors
He's going to be suspended. I can feel it.

Swore during Storm game...copped it in the media...

Got 80 odd demerit points at the judiciary last week for the forearm...

Swore at officials again Friday night.

He won't be playing against the Cowboys IMO and thats a BIG problem.

Stranger

Coach
What about the swearing that the roosters were doing verse canberra a few weeks back. That came through clear as day on the mic's yet no-body cared :)

Rod

Bench
Its ridiculous that this woman is sticking her nose in this, from the sounds of things she doesn't know what the hell she is talking about.

Bicey_18

Bench
Stranger said:
What about the swearing that the roosters were doing verse canberra a few weeks back. That came through clear as day on the mic's yet no-body cared :)

Cos it wasnt Andrew Johns :roll:

Latest posts