What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No haka disrespect, just joking- Willie Mason

No haka disrespect, just joking

By Willie Mason
Australia star
October 16, 2006
I SUPPOSE everyone wants to know why I swore during the haka before Saturday's Test match in Auckland. I'll tell you why and it has nothing to do with disrespecting New Zealand.

I was actually standing next to Justin Hodges during the haka and I said to him, "Isn't Brent Webb an Aborigine? Look at him. Get f---ed".

It was just funny seeing an Aborigine trying to lead the haka. I think he might have been making the words up. We were just having a joke around together to take the seriousness off the whole thing and use it to pump our boys up.
I certainly wasn't disrespecting the haka or the Maori culture because I think it's one of the highlights of both international rugby league and rugby union matches. I look forward to the Kiwis doing the haka.
It's something that they get really pumped up and emotional on and they really get fired up on it.
It makes us get pumped up as well.
But seriously, what do they expect us to do? Bloody crawl into a hole while they're doing it? We've got to do something. That's why we all stood there to show them how united and tight that we are as a team.
Once again it was just beautiful timing from the television cameras to shoot right on my mouth while I was saying it. I apologise for swearing but it was just a bit of a joke to take the emotion out of how intense they were in the haka.
As for David Kidwell's cheap shot on me, I expect nothing less from him. I didn't even see the bloke coming. I remember running at him a few times but I don't think he hit me as hard as that because they were front on.
The only way he seems to put a good shot on players is if he blindsides people. If he wants to play those games, I don't mind. The thing is, I don't really get a chance to tackle him because he doesn't run in the middle that much.
He usually runs at Darren Lockyer or one of our centres. If he wants to play that way, I might have to ask coach Ricky Stuart to play me in the centres as well.
I'd love to get square with him in the next Test in Melbourne on Saturday night but I'm not going to go out of my way to give a penalty away or do a cheap shot or hurt the bloke intentionally. But I'll certainly be looking for him.
I should be fine to play, despite the nasty bruise under my right eye and concerns over a fractured cheekbone. I'm not looking too good but I'm going to get scans on it today. It's a little bit sore but it looks worse than it is. Our team doctor checked it and pressed all the right places and there didn't seem to be too much pain. It should be all clear and, even if there is a little fracture, that's not going to stop me from playing. It's not going to kill me.
It was a pretty fiery Test and I wasn't impressed by the Kiwis pushing blokes when they are already over the touchline. They're already out, there's no need to push them, it's just being stupid.
If a player goes over and hits a spectator or cuts his knee or something like that, it's stupid. They need to cut that out.
The Kiwis obviously thought we had a young team they could push around but I think this Australian side is probably one of the most balanced that I've played in with. It has youth and experience.
There's has been a changing of the guard, I suppose. We were going through the list the other day with Danny Buderus, Anthony Minichiello, Craig Fitzgibbon, Andrew Johns, Ben Kennedy, and Matt Cooper missing.
There are about 10 blokes who have toured in the past two or three years who are not playing with us at the moment.
We have had to gel really quickly and I think Ricky has done a great job getting us together. We had a really intense week last week but the sessions weren't that long. It was bang, bang and we were finished.
As for getting together off the field I think we had just one beer, because we were bonding in different ways with some of our training and activities out of football.
In previous camps it takes a while to get to know everyone but all the young guys such as Greg Inglis, Sam Thaiday, Karmichael Hunt and Justin Hodges get along well with everyone. It's surprising how quickly we have gelled and how tight we are as a group.
Taking all the drama out of the contest, it was a great game and a great win by us. It was everything a Test match should be - from what I can remember anyway. I watched it again yesterday morning because I can hardly remember the game.
Our boys played really well, there wasn't a bad player on the field. We showed a lot of character, especially coming back after they scored the opening try early in the match.
We didn't get rattled and we were not intimidated by them. We just stuck to our game plan and we knew that at the back end of each half the game would open up. That was Ricky's plan and it worked.
And we know as a forward pack we just have to win the ruck and go forward and the backline will take care of itself. They're in a league of their own. As was shown on Saturday night by Mark Gasnier, Inglis, Justin Hodges, Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston, they can turn something out of nothing. They're unbelievable.

What's even better for us is this was our first hitout and we'll only get better as the tournament progresses.

As a team, we've got a lot of pride and Ricky has been constantly talking about about putting Australia back on top and suggesting when you get that Australian jersey you make it the pinnacle of your career instead of State of Origin and all that kind of stuff.

He really wants us to kick on and we've got the opportunity now to dominate the Tri-Nations leading into the World Cup in 2008. Because at the moment New Zealand is still No.1 because of its Tri-Nations win last year.

We know it won't be a cakewalk. The Kiwis will get better because they'll get a few guys back from England. They're always strong and they're always physical so we've got to watch them.

And they taught us a lesson last year in intensity and how much pride they have in their country and their jersey. I think we've taken a leaf out of their book and are trying to do the same thing this year.

Bearing that in mind, we know things will not get any easier for us next week.

The Kiwis will definitely be looking for revenge and that's why it's such a good feeling winning in New Zealand because their home crowd is such a big advantage for them.

To beat them on their home turf is something we haven't done for a quite a while and we'll take a lot of confidence from that.

It will be good having a home game next week and, hopefully, the Melbourne people will come out to support us.

It's a very sporting town, which was shown this season when they turned out in droves to watch the State of Origin decider. Hopefully, with the AFL finished, they'll come out again to get behind us.

As for the Kiwi threats of retribution next week if I swear during the haka again, I've got a simple solution: put Brent Webb up the back where I can't see him.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20586590-23214,00.html
Ok.. Mason said this: I was actually standing next to Justin Hodges during the haka and I said to him, "Isn't Brent Webb an Aborigine? Look at him. Get f---ed".

But heres a video of what happened. He is not standing next to Hodges, he is standing next to Thurston and Ryan. And the second thing, look at what hes saying. Does it look like he is saying "isn't he an aboriginie". I can clearly seeing mouth the word "merkin".

I liked what Willie did but now making up bs? This I dont like.
Heres a video of the haka and willie swearing from the other night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3Ks7OXRL4

Rod

Bench
After reading that article, idiot is the word that immediately comes to mind.

nadera78

Juniors
In life some people just aren't very smart, Willie Mason obviously falls into this category. We can't have a go at him for being thick, it isn't his fault, that's just what he was given, same as his extraordinary physical and sporting talents.

Mind you, that doesn't mean he should be able to lie about stuff they way he obviously is with this 'explanation.' Just say it straight Willie, you were telling the Kiwis where to go and got caught. End of story.

carlnz

Bench
I was actually standing next to Justin Hodges during the haka and I said to him, "Isn't Brent Webb an Aborigine? Look at him. Get f---ed".

And he is Kiwi born standing there in an Australian team...what gives him the right to say that about Webby?

ouwet

Bench
carlnz said:
And he is Kiwi born standing there in an Australian team...what gives him the right to say that about Webby?

He was raised in Newcastle, lived pretty much Most of life in Australia! his Australian! Webb is not a Kiwi! it's a joke... Mason is 100% right.

ouwet

Bench
The Haka is a WAR cry... Why should Australia stand there like cats and get intimidated??? Well Done Mason, Stick it to the Kiwi's!!!!
He got the last laugh:D as well... What's a good hit, if you can't win the game?

Mr Saab

Referee
carlnz said:

The Kiwis go on about this Haka being so sacred, yet there is an Aboriginal performing it...go figure.

ozboy

Juniors
Exactly. An aboriginee leading the haka.

Some sacred ornament there. I might go by myself an All Blacks jersey, maybe then I might be able to lead the o so sacred haka as well.

aqua_duck

Coach
Brent Webb leading the haka? I don't know maybe people mistook brent Webb for Ruben Wiki, I mean I can see the uncanny resemblance. The haka is traditionally a maori thing but its also a motivational thing, and a kiwi thing. Webb is a naturalised kiwi so I have no problem with him performing the haka, the fact he's aboriginal shouldn't come into it, Frank pritchard is Australian by birth and of a Samoan background, atleast Webb has lived in NZ for a while, probably as long as cutie has lived in Aus.
Overall I don't have a problem with Willie Disrespecting the haka and all, but what I can't cop is his whinging, Kidwell got him with a good one, was not a blindsided shot, looked pretty front on, or maybe Willie's proripheral vision isn't the best. Willie got hit with a good shot, he should just cop it sweat instead of bagging Kidwell out. No other player carries on like this but then again no other player has as low an IQ

>zuzu<

Juniors
Webby was in the leading line of the Haka. I think that is for more experienced players, before i saw Vatuvei and Webby there on sat nyt.

0,1445,260789,00.jpg

PARRA_FAN

Coach
LebaneseForces said:
The Haka is a WAR cry... Why should Australia stand there like cats and get intimidated??? Well Done Mason, Stick it to the Kiwi's!!!!
He got the last laugh:D as well... What's a good hit, if you can't win the game?

couldnt agree more, nothing better than seeing two sides go at each other in a test match. bit of biff, good hits. Great to see the passion back in test matches. :D

ozbash

Referee
webby wasnt leading the haka, wiki was.

waa waa willy got exactly what he deserved.

Blaze

Juniors
Willie Mason - great player with very few brain cells.

Seriously how stupid is the guy? He said that Australia haven't beaten us in NZ for a long time, yet they beat us in the only game in NZ last year.

dnn

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
The Kiwis go on about this Haka being so sacred, yet there is an Aboriginal performing it...go figure.

Kiaora
Enjoying the rivalries of this series very much!
Yes the Kiwi team is comprised of many ethnicities, but should be no excuse to discontinue the culture of the land. The Haka will stay and anyone representing NZ is embraced and most welcome to perform it....

From NZ Herald today:

Mason:
He later explained it was a joke to lessen the impact of the Kiwis' pre-match challenge, and that he was making fun of Kiwis fullback Brent Webb performing the haka when he had Aboriginal ancestry.

Webb laughed off Mason's words today, saying his family were in fact Torres Strait Islanders (in Queensland), and he hadn't even noticed Mason swearing at him during the haka.

"He said Brent was Aboriginal, he got that one wrong as well," McClennan said.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10406175

_

nadera78

Juniors
He's lying again by the looks of it.

"It's been blown way out of proportion. The timing from the television over there saw me swear at the wrong point of time which made me out like I was saying it during the Haka."

So when exactly did you say it Willie? The week before? An hour before? The next day?

ozboy said:
Exactly. An aboriginee leading the haka.

Some sacred ornament there. I might go by myself an All Blacks jersey, maybe then I might be able to lead the o so sacred haka as well.

he torres strait actually plus webb wasn't leading the haka!

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
yeah the haka is a war cry yeah willie mason is a awesome player and yeah the aussies should respect it but they do so by fronting up and standing together as other teams do to. as a kiwi to see mason do that fired me up and it fired up the kiwis to, king dont ever let me see you pick fights again,hehe you to thurston.

Latest posts