What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No mention of abandoned game.

druzik

Juniors
So I have been scratching my head this week.

Last weekend Sharks v Raiders game ended in the game being abandoned in the 64th minute. The referee Rob Irwin, felt he lost control of the game, despite sin-binnings and send-offs and thus called time on 64 minutes.

Through the match there were three major fights, essentially all in brawls, with two happening within 5 minutes of each other with king hits and all. Now I don't know who is to blame, I am not interested really its not the point here.

The matter was meant to be refereed to the AMNRL before any decision on the final score was made (Sharks were 28-8 at that point).

Now, I have not seen any mention of this, nor any mention of the discipline to be taken by the AMNRL, or any decisions regarding anything. I know the score has been posted as 28-8 and given to the Sharks, they were the deserved winners, but surely you need to have transparency and this kind of thing open to the game fans.

Other sports, weather amateur or professional make statements on these things when they happen, I remember the Lebanese Rugby League being open about the games, suspensions and fines that teams and players had, I think a team was suspended for the remainder on one of the years due to its players fighting.

Back in 2007 the BARLA v Salses opener to the Italy v Germany game was also abandoned after 55 minutes due to violence, I remember discipline was taken with fines and players suspended.

Is it just me, but should these incidences and the repercussions that come from them be in the best interest of the sport and its many (few) supporters, to show that things are being handled? Should we at least not see an article or official statement from the AMNRL (or USARL if it were to happen there) saying, that this and this happened and in the interest of the game these actions have been taken?

druzik

Juniors
Did you forget which organization you are talking about here?

Well I have no idea how the USARL would handle this, I was at the game and know that it would be refered to the board.

I am not here to make comparison between the two.

However in mu opinion, I would think that both the AMNRL and USARL should have official statements about these kinds of incidence when they happen in their respective competitions.

If no action is taken, then all I can see is this sort of thing happening again, players do not get penalised will do it again.

If I were a coach of a team going up against another known team that has been in these situation it will greatly affect the way I approach the game.

I am just saying, its something that needs to be addressed in some way.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I didn't make any mention of the USARL although they do allegedly have some sort of match officials committee, what the purpose of this is or whether the AMNRL have an equivalent body I'm not sure. My point is that, given the track record of the AMNRL for both a lack of transparency and neglecting their domestic competition at the most basic level, I'm not sure why you would be at all surprised about this or expect it to change any time soon.

druzik

Juniors
I didn't make any mention of the USARL although they do allegedly have some sort of match officials committee, what the purpose of this is or whether the AMNRL have an equivalent body I'm not sure. My point is that, given the track record of the AMNRL for both a lack of transparency and neglecting their domestic competition at the most basic level, I'm not sure why you would be at all surprised about this or expect it to change any time soon.

I think both organisations have match committees I think

Actually yes Link here... 14 people on the committee. Its down the bottom.

Rob also has a title of Director of Match Officials, Judiciary Committee, Liaison to ARL referees.

I guess, I am hoping that with all the recent, potentially positive news aith GPR and the AMNRL trying to professionalise itself, that these are the kinds of things it would use to help its image along.

If not I think its an opportunity lost.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Why do they need a liaison to Australian referees? :?

Either way, if nothing happens regarding the match at the weekend then clearly this guy either isn't doing his job, or it's just a title for show.

druzik

Juniors
Why do they need a liaison to Australian referees? :?

Either way, if nothing happens regarding the match at the weekend then clearly this guy either isn't doing his job, or it's just a title for show.

Good question, no idea.

Actually, aside from Rob Irwin, I have no idea who the other referees are in the AMNRL???

IowaRL

Juniors
Good question, no idea.

Actually, aside from Rob Irwin, I have no idea who the other referees are in the AMNRL???

Well, starting 2013 each team in the Midwest Conference needs to have at least one qualified referee to provide for games. At the moment, we have a guy from each Illinois team, and another gent from Indiana who comes across when he can. Nothing official yet, but that's the goal for next year.

druzik

Juniors
Rob deals with the NSWRL I believe in regards to organizing Ref courses and qualifications. If you can ref in the AMNRL, you are qualified to ref in the NSWRL.

Oh really, I have never seen any courses organised though?

But that is good if that is the case. Any idea who are qualifies refs?

druzik

Juniors
Well, starting 2013 each team in the Midwest Conference needs to have at least one qualified referee to provide for games. At the moment, we have a guy from each Illinois team, and another gent from Indiana who comes across when he can. Nothing official yet, but that's the goal for next year.

That is good.

islandlion

Juniors
I'm glad to see The USARL is taking disciplinary action seriously. I believe the Oneida player deserved a full season suspension for stomping on an axemen players head while he was on the ground. It was brutal and blatantly obvious and forced the axemen player to leave the game with a concussion. It was absolutely disgraceful. At least he is getting a six game suspension.

deluded pom?

Coach
I'm glad to see The USARL is taking disciplinary action seriously. I believe the Oneida player deserved a full season suspension for stomping on an axemen players head while he was on the ground. It was brutal and blatantly obvious and forced the axemen player to leave the game with a concussion. It was absolutely disgraceful. At least he is getting a six game suspension.

If it was as you've described he should be sine die. Maybe the offending player thought he was playing union.

druzik

Juniors
Also no mention of the major positives like the reserve grade game that took place either??

You are right, that was a big plus for the game that day as well. IIRC the Sharks Reserve edged out the Raiders reserve 18-16 in the end.

And there was a kid in the crowd who was interested in having a go, did he end up coming to the training sessions?

Fatwing15

Juniors
It's not a pro sport I don't understand why you guys expect it

Agreed. I'm pretty surprised the USARL has a discipline page, I never even gave that side of the game much thought, but I guess it's a good thing to keep an eye on. Reserve grade games are a huge accomplishment. Hat's off to the Raiders for TRAVELLING with a reserve side. Even though the premier game was stopped early, no animosity carried over into the reserve game. The coaches of the Raiders and Sharks were able to cool both teams down and take huge leaps forward in developing their domestic sides. I know the Sharks playmakers in the reserve game were both 21 and under. Great experience for them.

Teams with viable reserve sides are as follows:

Sharks, Raiders and Axemen for sure. Any one else? Knights? Fight? Do I smell a 23 and under All Star match between the USARL and AMNRL?

Latest posts