What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No more honourable losses, says Sharks

Poss

Juniors
No more honourable losses, says Sharks
By Joe Barton, 17 Feb 2012

For too long Cronulla have come out of losing seasons with a positive attitude because they’d competed and come close on occasion.
But coach Shane Flanagan is fed up with that mentality, declaring if the Sharks are any hope of reaching their potential and challenging for their maiden premiership they have to debunk the myth of the “honourable loss”.

“If you had to describe the Sharks over the past few years, in my opinion, you’d say we had a lot of honourable losses,” Flanagan told AAP.
“We’d compete and compete but didn’t have that touch of class to finish a team off.

“And whilst I’m really happy with the boys’ attitude and their will to compete, it’s just not good enough anymore. We need to win those football games.”

Since entering the competition in 1967 the Sharks have been rugby league’s whipping boys – as evidenced by their empty trophy cabinet, save for the 1979 Amco Cup.

Flanagan is determined to turn this culture around, which is why he turned to troubled superstar Todd Carney when few other NRL clubs would.
Carney, sacked from a second club last year for repeated breaches of his contract, mostly relating to alcohol, comes to Cronulla on what seems certain to be his last chance.

But while his off-field antics have landed him in hot water time and again, it is what Carney offers on the field that has Sharks fans in a frenzy ahead of the 2012 season.
“He’s the half we’ve been looking for,” Flanagan said.
The 2010 Dally M medal winner is the biggest in a host of signings for Cronulla, who also brought back former Sharks Isaac de Gois and Ben Ross, and snared Wests Tigers props Bryce Gibbs and Andrew Fifita among others.

But Carney is the one Flanagan is pinning his hopes on to make the biggest difference.
If Carney fires, so can the Cronulla backline which has been near dormant in recent times as the Sharks struggled to put points on the scoreboard.
“We surely hope (Carney) will energise the backline,” Flanagan said.
“I think everyone is a little bit more aware and focussed on our attacking game (with Carney around).

“By no means have we dropped off our work on defence but Todd does create that little bit of anticipation for those outside backs and they have to be on their game and ready for him to go.

“Because when he goes, if you haven’t anticipated it you can’t catch up.”
The impressive Cronulla pack took a hit last year when Kade Snowden (Newcastle) and Luke Douglas (Gold Coast) walked away from the club, but stepping in to fill that void comes Ross, Gibbs, Fifita, Jon Green (Dragons) and Mark Taufua (Newcastle) giving Flanagan as much prop depth as any coach in the competition.

The same can be said for the backline, where regular centres Ben Pomeroy and Colin Best are already under pressure for their round one roles as the club’s enthusiastic youngsters fight for their chance to play alongside Carney.
Cronulla Sharks
Premierships: 0
Finishes over the past three seasons: 2011 – 13th, 2010 – 14th, 2009 – 15th
Coach: Shane Flanagan
Captain: Paul Gallen
Gains: Todd Carney (Sydney Roosters), Mark Taufua (Newcastle), Isaac de Gois (Newcastle), Jeff Robson (Parramatta), Andrew Fifita (Wests Tigers), Bryce Gibbs (Wests Tigers), Jon Green (St George Illawarra), Ben Ross (South Sydney).
Losses: Luke Douglas (Gold Coast), Kade Snowden (Newcastle), Taulima Tautai (Parramatta), Dean Collis (Wakefield), Paul Aiton (Wakefield).
Player they really needed: Justin Hodges. With respect to Ben Pomeroy and Colin Best, wouldn’t everyone want to see Carney work with a top-class centre like Hodges?
Headline fans dread to read: Perth move makes sense for Sharks: Gallop
Headline fans would love to read: Heroic Gallen wins Clive Churchill medal
Money Man: Todd Carney. He’s being paid big dollars and knows this is his last chance in the NRL. You have to expect he’ll show us more 2010 Carney, than 2011 Carnage.
One to watch: Stewart Mills burst into first grade last year with some eye-catching tries. Has all the physical traits to be a star, so expect to see a lot more of him this year. A move into the centres is not out of the question.
Best team: Nathan Gardner, Stewart Mills, Colin Best, Ben Pomeroy, John Williams, Wade Graham, Todd Carney, Paul Gallen, Anthony Tupou, Jeremy Smith, Ben Ross, Isaac de Gois, Bryce Gibbs. Interchange: Andrew Fifita, John Morris, Jason Bukuya, Jon Green.
Predicted finish: 7th
Betting: Sportingbet: $21

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/02/17/no-more-honourable-losses-says-sharks/

spider

Coach
same stuff - different head line

just win games and forget about pampering the journos - fans come through the gates as a result of wins, not articulate words and script

bluey

Bench
I am sick of reading these stories JUST DO IT and then you can talk if you want to.

coolumsharkie

Referee
It's that time of year though lads, you know it.. Imagine the soap and lather in the media if we win our first few games.

RUBIKS

Juniors
Since entering the competition in 1967 the Sharks have been rugby league’s whipping boys – as evidenced by their empty trophy cabinet, save for the 1979 Amco Cup.

f**k off "The Roar"

Though they did put us at 7th...

Agreed Coolums, it'll be a circus if we go 4 from 5.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
So many of those honorable losses came after the 70th minute.

If only. If only it were a 70 minute game.

Frenzy.

Immortal
If I had any confidence at all that what went into the papers bore any semblance of truth I'd be happy with what had been written.

If Flanno really is saying that the culture of embracing mediocrity is looking at the noose then I'd be extremely happy.

Most here know this has been a huge bugbear of mine for years.

I hate the way that mediocrity has been so readily accepted at the Sharks for so long.

I hope he can get through to the happy clappers so they can stop idolising losers simply because they wear the colours

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
If I had any confidence at all that what went into the papers bore any semblance of truth I'd be happy with what had been written.

If Flanno really is saying that the culture of embracing mediocrity is looking at the noose then I'd be extremely happy.

Most here know this has been a huge bugbear of mine for years.

I hate the way that mediocrity has been so readily accepted at the Sharks for so long.

I hope he can get through to the happy clappers so they can stop idolising losers simply because they wear the colours

Supporters or management?

Frenzy.

Immortal
Supporters or management?

Yes, yes as well as players, coaches, juniors, junior officials, mums, dads and siblings etc etc

It's a culture that runs right throughout league in the Shire.

Often talked about how many premierships the Sharks have won.

Have a look at the junior reps. Never won Ball or Flegg either. Have won Matts 3 times and that's it.

Latest posts