What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No name' Fepuleai ready to make mark

Cooper-Man

Bench
THERE is an unknown factor surrounding Dragons player Daniel Fepuleai.

He was so unknown that incoming coach Wayne Bennett did not recognise his new charger.

Despite growing up in the St George district, Fepuleai was a Broncos fan and naturally adored Bennett, so his first meeting with him came as a shock.

``He thought I was [teammate] Ricky Thorby,'' Fepuleai laughed. ``He has my name right now, but it was a bit daunting at first. The boys still call me Ricky every now and then, but I just laugh it off.''

While Bennett may not have recognised the hooker when they first met, Fepuleai is hoping his new mentor is starting to take note.

Following the departure of hookers Simon Woolford, Rangi Chase, Ben Ellis and Stuart Webb, Fepuleai is in a battle with veteran Luke Priddis and utility Dean Young for the dummy-half position.

`` [Priddis] has really taken me under his wing,'' Fepuleai said.

``He always tries to get me involved in training. He doesn't let me hang back and if I start hanging back he pulls me in to have a go.

``He wants me to get involved. He has been a real mentor for me.''

The former Endeavour Sports High student has progressed through the Dragons junior ranks.

He spent last season as part of the inaugural under-20s squad, and said he was adapting to the riggers of full-time training.

``It has been nice and tough,'' said Fepuleai, who is contracted until 2010.

``Everything that I expected.

``Bennett has brought a different culture and we are all bonding together.''

A Hurstville United junior Fepuleai, 20, has played junior league grand finals at WIN Jubilee Oval.

He is hoping to play a few more games there this season.

``I enjoy playing there,'' Fepuleai said.

``Hopefully, I can play in front of a big crowd if I get a crack.

``I want to get a crack at some stage. It just depends if Wayne wants four forwards on the bench or if he wants a utility.

``I've just got to concentrate on training well and not getting my hopes up of playing first grade.

``If it comes, then it is definitely a bonus.''
Fepuleai has overcome his first obstacle of the season Bennett now knows his name.

http://stgeorge.yourguide.com.au/ne...name-fepuleai-ready-to-make-mark/1411193.aspx

drake

First Grade
Excellent stuff, just what I was hoping from Priddis and Fepuleai. I reckon Luke will help mould this guy into a gun.

Godz Illa

Coach
Yep indeed, nice leadership from Priddis there, doing the right thing by the club. Fepuleai will see game time this year, a matter of when rather than if.

dubopov

Coach
``I want to get a crack at some stage. It just depends if Wayne wants four forwards on the bench or if he wants a utility.

A utility .. is that a hint that Young or Hornby will be on the bench ?? If so, will that mean Cooper will be Capt ??

boxa777

Coach

A utility .. is that a hint that Young or Hornby will be on the bench ?? If so, will that mean Cooper will be Capt ??

Perhaps Creagh..

I'm very keen to see Fepuleai play. Looks fit in the pic and I like his skill level. All the Friend talk is premature considering he is a defensive player only and we need some penetration from dummy half.

Good on Priddis.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
The more I think about it , the more I want this kid to shine.

If he develops under the mentoring of Priddis, that is just a bonus.

It would appear we would then have our hooker position sewn up for at least the next 2 years.
I don't think you would find too many better players to learn from, especially if Priddis is really pushing Fepuleai. If Priddis leads the way for this kid to follow, we are going to be sorted for the hooker position.

All the talk of Nathan Friend supposedly already in negotiations with us will become just that.....all talk.

Friend seems to be asking for a fair amount of money and the Titans see him as thier 4th pick choice of hooker. That to me speaks volumes and while I may have initially shown interest in him, my opinion has changed somewhat.
I say we concentrate on the two that are signed with us and that leaves us able to throw a bit more coin at some of the others that are coming off contract at the end of '09.

watatank

Coach

Hardly. He means that if he gets a run he would be the utility.

watatank

Coach
Perhaps Creagh..

I'm very keen to see Fepuleai play. Looks fit in the pic and I like his skill level. All the Friend talk is premature considering he is a defensive player only and we need some penetration from dummy half.

Good on Priddis.

Agreed. Fepuleai is a keeper, I have no doubts that once he gets his fitness levels to the standard required to play NRL, he will be awesome as he already has the skills and ability.

watatank

Coach
Mate, wouldn't he be a forward ?? utility would be some who covers a few positions.

My initial thought was that if there were four forwards Young and/or Costigan would be playing off the bench as replacement hookers and Fepuleai wouldn't get a run. But what you said makes more sense. Either way though, it's not something that really should be read into that much, we're none the wiser as to what Bennett has in store..

Wicks

Juniors

Fepuleai is a utility player

watatank

Coach
Fepuleai is a utility player

What other positions has he played? He seems quite skilful and could probably play in the halves if absolutely necessary during a game but does he have much experience there? IMO he would best serve as a hooker/lock.

petetheileet

First Grade
He has the body of a back rower

Skills of a half

And will have one of the biggest boots in the comp.

And skillfull player it can be argues they are a utillity player.

He is a hooker

And personally id like to see him stay there for a long time!

Cagey Mac

Bench
Having seen him only a few times I was impressed with his alertness and in particular his ability to dart from dummy half and cause uncertainty in opposition defense
He's a keeper alright and hats off to Priddis' unselfish attitude toward him
It's this kind of unselfishness that illustrates confidence.
The days until the comp starts pass by ever slowly

Mr Red

First Grade
great article cooper man
i found this line very interesting..

i have heard so many players mention the culture change in interviews... they all seem very positive about it.
regardless of whether we win the comp or not this season Bennett has already bought the smell of success to the club, rather then the scent of disappointment that Brown instilled.

Ribs

Bench
great article cooper man
i found this line very interesting..

i have heard so many players mention the culture change in interviews... they all seem very positive about it.
regardless of whether we win the comp or not this season Bennett has already bought the smell of success to the club, rather then the scent of disappointment that Brown instilled.

Let it go man, let it go.

When have you ever heard anything different from players when a new coach arrives? What are they supposed to say? "He's a useless turd and we're over it"?

Let it go man, let it go.

When have you ever heard anything different from players when a new coach arrives? What are they supposed to say? "He's a useless turd and we're over it"?

I'm pretty sure that's what Kevin Peitersen said, more or less. ;-)

Latest posts