What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No New Haven and Oneida?

80MinuteMan

Juniors
I think, had you read this thread, you would see there will be a feeder competition in New England this season.

Fatwing15

Juniors
I think, had you read this thread, you would see there will be a feeder competition in New England this season.

Has the structure been determined for the feeder competition? Any confirmed games?
I may be visiting Boston this summer, would love to hop in a game or two. Who would i have to contact to make this happen?

Pennpoo, you have no identity, therefore you have no soul, and if you have no soul then your opinion does not matter on an internet forum!

Cheby

Juniors
New Haven (ex?) player/administrator here.

We don't have the sponsorship or players to be a productive side this summer. Last summer was pretty bad in terms of our turnout and level of competition and we didn't want to continue the slide.

I don't know what the plan is for the future because I'm not involved in the administration aspect anymore.

Evil Homer

Staff member
New Haven (ex?) player/administrator here.

We don't have the sponsorship or players to be a productive side this summer. Last summer was pretty bad in terms of our turnout and level of competition and we didn't want to continue the slide.

I don't know what the plan is for the future because I'm not involved in the administration aspect anymore.
What happened to all the players from the 2011 team that beat the Axemen? Also, do you think the club might have been more successful if you'd had more of a presence in the local community? It seems like the Warriors didn't really have much of a profile compared to the likes of the Axemen, Fight and Rebellion, although I'm just going from what we can see online so I might be wrong on that.

Cheby

Juniors
What happened to all the players from the 2011 team that beat the Axemen?

Mostly guys just got older and retired. A few younger Americans got hurt and decided that they didn't want to risk their health anymore. We actually had a few really promising college-aged players last summer, but we don't have the backbone of a team to keep them interested.

Also, do you think the club might have been more successful if you'd had more of a presence in the local community? It seems like the Warriors didn't really have much of a profile compared to the likes of the Axemen, Fight and Rebellion, although I'm just going from what we can see online so I might be wrong on that.

I absolutely agree with that. Once Adam got to be less involved, we had a dearth of guys willing to take the leadership roles and push the club forward. I'm one of the guilty parties in that respect because I was sort of second in command for a while, but I had a couple kids and now I don't have the time to do what I used to do.

I guess it comes down to the fact that we don't have that one guy that is super devoted to improving the club like Spinner, Mick or Lawrence (he's the RIR guy right?).

pennpool

Juniors
Mostly guys just got older and retired. A few younger Americans got hurt and decided that they didn't want to risk their health anymore. We actually had a few really promising college-aged players last summer, but we don't have the backbone of a team to keep them interested.

I absolutely agree with that. Once Adam got to be less involved, we had a dearth of guys willing to take the leadership roles and push the club forward. I'm one of the guilty parties in that respect because I was sort of second in command for a while, but I had a couple kids and now I don't have the time to do what I used to do.

I guess it comes down to the fact that we don't have that one guy that is super devoted to improving the club like Spinner, Mick or Lawrence (he's the RIR guy right?).

Your honesty is a breath of fresh air. Best of luck in your rebuilding.

Last edited:

pennpool

Juniors

So let me get this straight, there is not enough interest in the area that two teams had to drop out of the league, yet you feel there is enough interest in a whole feeder competition?

People should take a leaf out of cheby's book and, just like the sharks in 2010, say it as it is. Year out to regroup as interest had faded due to a lot of the veterans having come to the end of there playing days.

No harm no foul. No spin, no agenda.

Last edited:

pennpool

Juniors
Has the structure been determined for the feeder competition? Any confirmed games?
I may be visiting Boston this summer, would love to hop in a game or two. Who would i have to contact to make this happen?

Pennpoo, you have no identity, therefore you have no soul, and if you have no soul then your opinion does not matter on an internet forum!

I'm pretty sure your parents didn't legally name you Fatwing15. ;)

Choo Choo

Juniors
So let me get this straight, there is not enough interest in the area that two teams had to drop out of the league, yet you feel there is enough interest in a whole feeder competition?

People should take a leaf out of cheby's book and, just like the sharks in 2010, say it as it is. Year out to regroup as interest had faded due to a lot of the veterans having come to the end of there playing days.

No harm no foul. No spin, no agenda.

I've got to jump in here. Ever since I started playing the Sharks back in 2006, they were ALWAYS a stand-up organization and I think it took huge balls for them to admit they needed to take a year off to regroup and even bigger balls to get it back up and running again.

We should take a page from their playbook and admit that Pennpool pretty much hit the nail on the head. ANY USARL team that gived the Sharks crap needs to take a look inward. Remember, we were the bastards a few years ago.

Fatwing15

Juniors
I've got to jump in here. Ever since I started playing the Sharks back in 2006, they were ALWAYS a stand-up organization and I think it took huge balls for them to admit they needed to take a year off to regroup and even bigger balls to get it back up and running again.

We should take a page from their playbook and admit that Pennpool pretty much hit the nail on the head. ANY USARL team that gived the Sharks crap needs to take a look inward. Remember, we were the bastards a few years ago.

It is really difficult to keep a club going when you have a bunch of veterans who led the charge nearing the end of their playing days. We know this from experience. That is why the Sharks make a real effort to keep our young guys from shouldering the financial burden of the club. If you allow college athletes to play for free or close to it, it is easier to keep them involved with the club, and everyone knows the more you are involved with RL the harder it is to stay away.

Ever since the Sharks year off, we have been working hard to develop that new group of young players that would be interested in playing and running the team.

There is no real blue print on how to do this, but I think it would be interesting for some of the old vets around the USARL to count how many Sharks they actually recognize.

IowaRL

Juniors
The New England Comp is 9s..
The comp has the ability to be played on days other than Saturday because of the proximity of the teams.

Plus I'm assuming since they wont be up against such established players, more new guys will get more play time without getting discouraged. I know if you took my guys and had them play Axemen or Rebellion, theyd get discouraged, but nines V Oneida (we still may lose) would be a closer game and an attainable level in not a lot of time.