What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No real reward for winning the minor premiership

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Top 6.

A: 1v2
B: 3v4
C: 5v6 (Loser Eliminated)

D: Winner A - Bye
E: Loser A v Winner B
F: Loser B v Winner C (Loser Eliminated)

G: D vs Winner of E
H: Loser E v Winner F (Loser Eliminated)

I: Winner G
J: Loser G v Winner H

GF: I v Winner J

Reminiscent of the Top 5 system. All played at neutral venues. The only problem is the winner of 1v2 could potentially face 2 byes in 4 weeks, but still something to look at.

badav

Bench
OVP said:
Everyone knows that the ONLY reward for coming first in the regular season is simply just getting to play the 8th placed team in the first round of the finals. Which i suppose isnt too bad, as first spot has never lost to eighth spot, i believe.

You've answered your own question here.

The reward is that you only need to win one tough game and your in the grand final. Thats a pretty significant reward if you ask me.

*Paul*

Juniors
People are still clinging to the idea that the regular season has a relationship to the finals series. It doesn't. The 7 or 8 systems we've used merely pay lip service to the concept. The function of the semis is to artifically generate tension by replaying the premiership in a condensed form. So how this is done isn't particularly important.

Hass

Juniors
Lego_Man said:
Top 5 is never coming back, f**ken deal with it you dinosaurs...

We're not going to deal with it.

The final 5 is still the best option available and we'll shout it from the rooftops.

Just meekly accepting the status quo isn't good for the game. Just because the NRL has got it wrong for the past eight years doesn't mean we should allow them to contine getting it wrong.

Cheers.

thomo

Juniors
It is actually better to finish 2nd than 1st under the McIntyre system (assuming both 1 and 2 win through to the Grand Final):

- In week 3, 2 plays a team coming off a 6 day turn-around (1 plays a team off an 8 day turn-around)
- 2 gets an extra day turn-around between week 3 and the Grand Final
- 2 plays night football through to the night grand final (1 gets two day games in the finals)

Misty Bee

First Grade
Bobby DIGital said:
The JJ Giltitan Shield is more than enough. Some legendary sides have done laps of honour with that shield.

1 win to get into the Grand Final is pissy. It's the only thing I didn't like about the top 5 system.

Here here!

Compare that to team 4.

Tom Shines

First Grade
dimitri said:
i dont see whats wrong with mcintyre

benefits are:

*1st and 2nd are guaranteed to go through the first week
*1st gets benefit of playing 8th
*1st-4th get home matches first week
3rd and 4th can get eliminated week one.
What's the benefit of that?

Misty Bee

First Grade
If 3 and 4 were eliminate in week 1, the excitement generated by sides 5, 6, 7 and 8 winning would be phenomenal. Esp since sides 1 and 2 would be last start losers in sudden death semis, and sides 4 and 5 suddenly in the prelim GF.

Minor prems get 100k and the great JJ Giltinan Shield. Any more rewards and it wouldn't be a minor premiership, would it!

Tom Shines

First Grade
Then team 6, after winning a fairly even match against team 3, are now one win away from the Grand Final?

Misty Bee

First Grade
And the chances of that are....?

Look, if uit's so important for team 1 to meet team 2 in the finals, then just have a GF and no semis. How exciting - this year we would have known the GF in May.

The idea behind the semi finals format is the generate interest in the code, and diminish the unpredictability.

BWNB

First Grade
OVP said:
I dont like the AFL system at all. When 1st played 4th (Geelong vs Nth Melbourne), it took about one quarter for Nth Melbourne to realise they couldnt match it, so therefore plainly and simply just gave up for 3 quarters of the match as they simply couldnt be eliminated. The same would happen in rugby league for sure. They could easily just give up and save themselves for next week, like what Nth Melbourne did.

I don't think they gave up, look at them now...

_Johnsy

Referee
BlacK_WhitE_N_BluE said:
I don't think they gave up, look at them now...

Read the post genius, he meant giving up in that game as they could not be eliminated from the comp. aahh DUHHH!!

"I dont like the AFL system at all. When 1st played 4th (Geelong vs Nth Melbourne), it took about one quarter for Nth Melbourne to realise they couldnt match it, so therefore plainly and simply just gave up for 3 quarters of the match as they simply couldnt be eliminated. The same would happen in rugby league for sure. They could easily just give up and save themselves for next week, like what Nth Melbourne did.
"