What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sin bin

TouchMyHappy

Juniors
Just be thankful we wont have to watch Gidley butcher the origin series for us with the successful return of the true Blues number one.

Tommax25

Bench
Everyone loves gidley. Knights fans, footy fans in general, nsw selectors, australian selectors, rival coaches, and apparently so do the refs. Gotta love life does gidley.

Iafeta

Referee
It was horrific. There's been four instances this year that are ... a joke.

1 David Milne's sin bin against Parramatta. Deadset disgraceful.
2 David Kidwell last week Warriors v Souths. Warriors make a line break, Kidwell gets an ankles tackle in cover defence. Warrior goes to get up, Kidwell pulls him back down and then bunny hops the ruck with about 3 Rabbitohs back. Not even a penalty.
3 Jeremy Smith - WTF????
4 And obviously, Gidley. Should buy a lottery ticket.

Ivan Cleary has blown up about it, and rightfully so.

ByRd

First Grade
Was watching the game and he should of been sent to the bin, wrong decision and if he went off i think the Warriors would of got up.

_Johnsy

Referee
Compare Smiths sin bin on friday night, and gidleys non sin bin, does make you laugh though.

Meth

Staff member
He should have been sinbinned

Aside from that, he was the best player on the park

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
So...they can give a penalty try against Kirk for cleary interfering with the Souths player and they this week can give a friendly warning for doing the same thing?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Good decision by the refs today. Both players jostling for the ball, trip over each other. Penalty try? :lol:

_Johnsy

Referee
Good decision by the refs today. Both players jostling for the ball, trip over each other. Penalty try? :lol:

Penalty try, no way.

FFS jostling, and jostling with both arms around his waist and legs when he was at least 1m in front of gidley. Take your blue and red glasses off, if you are saying that it didn't deserve 10 in the bin you cannot comment on anything Newcastle with any objectivity at all.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade

yup of course it was, because after all that is a fullback's job is it not? To save their arse to avoid looking stoopid and stood up.

But perhaps you should go back and read the rules properly before you make such a statement.

I mean after all you can't sit there and say if the roles were reversed you wouldn't be calling the same thing? Sure you wouldn't!

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The David Milne and Jeremy Smith decisions were absolute shockers. I think the best way of summing up the Smith decision was Iafeta put it "wtf"

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Penalty try, no way.

FFS jostling, and jostling with both arms around his waist and legs when he was at least 1m in front of gidley. Take your blue and red glasses off, if you are saying that it didn't deserve 10 in the bin you cannot comment on anything Newcastle with any objectivity at all.
So you're saying it should have been a penalty try? :lol: He could have tripped over a blade of grass, knocked the ball on trying to pick it up. We'll never know :crazy:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
there's no way it should have been a penalty try, but it was the most obvious professional foul this year.

Didgi

Not a penalty try, but definitely 10 in the bin.

I'm still trying to find out what the Jeremy Smith one was for, that was crazy.

skeepe

Immortal
So far this year we've had 3 players sent to the sin bin, each for no obvious reason:

David Milne
Jeremy Smith
Todd Payten

and 3 players commit clear professional fouls and stay on the field:

David Kidwell
Luke O'Donnell (Raiders player made a break, O'Donnell tackled and then pulled his legs as he was trying to get up for those who don't remember it)
Kurt Gidley

So basically, in 6 situations where either the sin bin was used or it should have been, the referees have got it right exactly 0% of the time.

Wonderful.

Thanks a lot Robert Finch.

Paul Hewson

Juniors
So...they can give a penalty try against Kirk for cleary interfering with the Souths player and they this week can give a friendly warning for doing the same thing?

The Talanoa incident was a classic case for a penalty try. They can only give a penalty try should there be no doubt that a try would have been scored without the interference. The ball was rolling on the ground and despite Kirk still holding onto him Talanoa still was close to scoring the try.

What Gidley did yesterday was a professional foul and should have been an automatic sin bin. I can't see how the ref can penalise him for holding back yet not deem it to be a professional foul. That still has me shaking my head. There is no way that it should have been a penalty try.

skeepe

Immortal
I'm still trying to find out what the Jeremy Smith one was for, that was crazy.

Deliberate forearm to the back of the head to slow down the play the ball because he knew there were no Dragons players back, in Ashley Klein's own words.