What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No team has lost a game scoring 40 points

undertaker

Coach
Although it wasn't 40 pts that game had shades of when the Tigers led Parramatta 31-0 in 2012 with 14 mins to go and only won 31-30.
Interesting you brought this up. There are some matches that I still remember just like yesterday after all these years, and that is one of them.

Found footage of the last 14 minutes here:

Also, another match that followed a similar course: week 2 final between Sydney Roosters and North Queensland Cowboys in 2014.

Roosters led 30-0 after 30 minutes and looked like they were going to rack up a cricket score, before the Cowboys also went on a points-scoring rampage of their own to square it up at 30-all around the 56 minute mark.
James Maloney kicked a late field goal for the Roosters to win 31-30, eliminating the Cowboys from the finals.

Had the Cowboys won that night, they would've broken the record for the biggest comeback in Australian first-grade RL history (which is currently 26 points, coincidentally involving the Cowboys in 1998. They trailed 26-0 against Penrith, before winning 36-28).

Last edited:
Yep

40 points the Dragons scored this afternoon is now the highest losing score in a first-grade rugby league match in Australia.

The previous record was 36 points, which occurred 4 times:

One of those 36s saw a team win the premiership the same year. I guess the thread can be “no team has ever won the premiership after conceding 37 in a winning effort”

soc123_au

Staff member
Had the Cowboys won that night, they would've broken the record for the biggest comeback in Australian first-grade RL history (which is currently 26 points, coincidentally involving the Cowboys in 1998. They trailed 26-0 against Penrith, before winning 36-28).
Was at that game, no amount of JD's at Panthers after the game could erase it from memory. Thankfully it is one of the few games of that era not televised, so no footage exists apart from a few highlights.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Interesting you brought this up. There are some matches that I still remember just like yesterday after all these years, and that is one of them.

Found footage of the last 14 minutes here:

Also, another match that followed a similar course: week 2 final between Sydney Roosters and North Queensland Cowboys in 2014.

Roosters led 30-0 after 30 minutes and looked like they were going to rack up a cricket score, before the Cowboys also went on a points-scoring rampage of their own to square it up at 30-all around the 56 minute mark.
James Maloney kicked a late field goal for the Roosters to win 31-30, eliminating the Cowboys from the finals.

I had forgotten about the Roosters Cowboys semi in 2014, i was in Los Angeles at the time so missed the game.

Latest posts