What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Tries

Poss

Juniors
What’s the go with this? When things are going against you, the no tries and the missed goals really stack up.

tonight there were 3 or 4 no tries against us:

Royce dropped on the line

Hynes forward pass to ramien

Ronnie tackled just before the line which he scores 9 times out of 10.

I’m sure there was more too. Seemed like the last pass just didn’t stick on multiple occasions.

then you have Nichos goal kicking, and the missed field goal opportunities.
Things just are not sticking for the sharks at the moment

the last 3 weeks we’ve given up massive leads, but shown we’ve been the better team in the way we’ve come back. But just fallen short.

What is this phenomenon? I would say that I can’t recall anything like it, but then I cast my mind back to seasons past, and there’s clear evidence that this has always been happening. Remember that period in the Shaun Johnson days where we lost 3 in a row - having scored more tries?

killer instinct. It’s a killer if you don’t have it.

I'm of the opinion that we are actually missing Finucane more than what is let on.
Yes his playing ability had dropped significantly but his leadership on the field is sorely missed.
McInnes is a great player but he is not on the field all the time, he and Dale would interchange and so would the leadership.

To look at 2016 and see the real leadership group that was on the field at the same time, or not, Gal, Ennis, Lewy, Wado, Jimmy, Heighno... and I could go on.
What now?
When McInnes goes off the field, Nicho ( and he's not been great), who else?
Get my drift?

Weaponhead

Coach
I'm of the opinion that we are actually missing Finucane more than what is let on.
Yes his playing ability had dropped significantly but his leadership on the field is sorely missed.
McInnes is a great player but he is not on the field all the time, he and Dale would interchange and so would the leadership.

To look at 2016 and see the real leadership group that was on the field at the same time, or not, Gal, Ennis, Lewy, Wado, Jimmy, Heighno... and I could go on.
What now?
When McInnes goes off the field, Nicho ( and he's not been great), who else?
Get my drift?
The leadership vacuum is a big issue. In the last 2 games, McInnes errors in the first set have set the tone. Last night he gives away a needless penalty on the 4th and they don't touch the ball again for 7 minutes. Poor starts have been the theme and the Captain can't get through the first set in a game without messing up.

Who in that team has any real presence in the game? Who commands respect? Who sets the standards?

Hynes doesn't have the presence. The Dogs and Tits went after him and he bit both times. He has gone right into his shell just like last year after Origin. The fragility of his mentality is obvious.

Royce is trying to lead by taking on the opposition physically but its hard to be the leader do 20 mins a game. The more he tries, the more errors he makes. When he keeps it simple he is effective as a role player.

BHU is not available enough to do anything. Toby doesn't have the discipline. OK is too quiet.

They seem to be trying to solve the issues individually, which again shows the lack of leadership. They have gone right away from worked early in the season. Ramien is a clear example. Early season, he was disciplined and focused on running hard and defending. Recently, the poor decision making, penalties and flick passes to no one are back.

Don Tweddle

Juniors
Rugby league is weirdly a game where a lack of attention to detail can cost you badly. Drop a ball centimetres short of the line, stand slightly in the wrong position at marker, throw a pass one degree forward etc and you get hammered for it. We’re doing all the small things badly at the moment.

Good point on Finucane too. Actual footy is not like supercoach, you can’t just collect all the players with the best stats and win games. Leadership, keeping a cool head and knowing the right thing to say after an on-field setback are hugely important.

Frenzy.

Immortal
What’s the go with this? When things are going against you, the no tries and the missed goals really stack up.

tonight there were 3 or 4 no tries against us:

Royce dropped on the line.
He was well short of the line actually
Hynes forward pass to ramien
2nd week in a row, threw the same inside ball to Hunt last week.
Ronnie tackled just before the line which he scores 9 times out of 10.
Murphy's Law at play
I’m sure there was more too. Seemed like the last pass just didn’t stick on multiple occasions.

then you have Nichos goal kicking, and the missed field goal opportunities.
Things just are not sticking for the sharks at the moment

the last 3 weeks we’ve given up massive leads, but shown we’ve been the better team in the way we’ve come back. But just fallen short.

What is this phenomenon? I would say that I can’t recall anything like it, but then I cast my mind back to seasons past, and there’s clear evidence that this has always been happening. Remember that period in the Shaun Johnson days where we lost 3 in a row - having scored more tries?

killer instinct. It’s a killer if you don’t have it.
Well, the Sharks haven't really had a real killer instinct since 1967. They've had seasons where it creeps in but I think mediocrity leaks into the water from the swamp.

They'll never get any killer in them while they are hell bent in being the luvey duvey, flower children of the NRL. They'll probably turn AFB into Winnie the Pooh

Craigshark

First Grade
Not sure about the Finucane thing.. seem to remember us turning in plenty of these types of performances with him in the team the past couple of seasons. He was one of the main contributors also as he was going downhill fast. Might miss his leadership at training, but he didn’t show a lot on the field I thought.

Latest posts