What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noad admits it...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dogs warned of booze sackings

June 19, 2007
BULLDOGS chief executive Malcolm Noad today admitted his club has a binge drinking problem.
Noad said he and coach Steve Folkes are frustrated that players are not getting the message about appropriate behaviour, and will address them today about alcohol and "pulling their heads in".
He insists the club will not rule out sacking repeat offenders in future.
But Noad also expressed a frustration and belief that off-field incidents involving Bulldogs players receive greater media attention than those of other clubs.
Noad was speaking the day after public apologies from Bulldogs players Sonny Bill Williams and Ben Roberts, who have been caught up in police matters following alcohol-related incidents.
Williams, 21, was caught urinating outside a nightclub in Cronulla just over a week ago and fined $650, while 20-year-old teammate Roberts will face court next month after failing a random breath test in Miranda, in Sydney's south, at the weekend.
Roberts blew 0.03 - above the zero tolerance level for p-plate drivers.
Noad admitted frustration at on-going bad publicity for the club.
"We've tried fining them, we've tried talking to them, we've tried pleading with them, we've tried dropping them. Does that mean we shouldn't sack them at some stage? - no it doesn't," Noad told a Syndey radio station.
"And look that may well happen at some stage. But viewing the incidents in isolation, Ben Roberts, do you sack him? He broke curfew last week, but he wasn't intoxicated."
The club's problem with alcohol is binge drinking - where players who don't usually drink during the week occasionally drink to excess.
"I don't think there's an alcohol problem per se, but I think there's a binge drinking problem," said Noad.
"And I'm not talking about just Sonny Bill Williams.
"They get one opportunity, they go at it hard, and sometimes they pay the price, and I think Sonny's reached the point where he now realises he's more susceptible to having a problem when he goes out an has a drink."
Williams said yesterday he would seek professional help with regards to alcohol, and in the meantime would go on a booze ban.
The public urination was Williams' second embarrassing off-field incident this season, after he was snapped on a phone camera in a toilet cubicle with ironwoman Candice Falzon at the Clovelly Hotel. He also had his licence suspended in 2005 for drink driving.
Asked if the players are listening to club management about discipline, Noad said: "Well, they can't be (but) they don't do it intentionally."
Noad, who took up the role after sexual assault allegations were made against several players in 2004 - and latter dropped - said he faces a difficult job with the Bulldogs constantly in the spotlight.
"I think the frustration is that we are magnified possibly more than any other club and what goes on in this club seems to create more headlines than other clubs," he said.
"But the frustration is that the guys do a lot of good stuff ... and unfortunately that gets dwarfed by a couple of guys doing dumb things."
AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21930756-23214,00.html

Hurriflatch

Referee
this sounds like a copy of what was going on at the Eels early last year Tim Smith, Mark Riddell, Tim Smith (again), Jarryd Hayne, Tim Smith (again)

Timmah

Staff member
Woo hoo! :crazy: Brash run for the finals ;-)

Hurriflatch

Referee
Dodger said:
Woo hoo! :crazy: Brash run for the finals ;-)

Only if you fire someone who has been there for about 10 year (Folkes - check)
Hire a player who spent most of his career at a different club, and is now in the coaching ranks at the Dogs (Clyde - check)

Timmah

Staff member
:D

Although, Kevin Moore will be the replacement coach.

Inferno

Coach
It will be the same story at every club. The high profile players will get away with repeated offences and the lesser knowns will be made an example of every once in a while.

fatshark

Bench
"pulling their heads in".
gee thats being harsh. pffffft. Why doesnt Noad say its a slap on the wrist...now lets go celebrate, preferbly down the Shire as the Bankstown area is a dump.

TITAN1

Juniors
Seems a token response,probably after some pressure from the NRL.:crazy:
Would love to see SBW have another bender...would Noad have the testicles to sack him?

fatshark

Bench
"I think the frustration is that we are magnified possibly more than any other club and what goes on in this club seems to create more headlines than other clubs," he said.
yet they keep on doing it. Ermm Noad wake up, and sack yourself you knob.

Tom Shines

First Grade
That-s a typical Malcolm response if ever I've seen one. How about you wake up to yourself mate?

Tom Shines

First Grade
fatshark said:
gee thats being harsh. pffffft. Why doesnt Noad say its a slap on the wrist...now lets go celebrate, preferbly down the Shire as the Bankstown area is a dump.
Fusion, anyone?
I would piss over that place as well. It's an absolute hole, filled by Shire area Aussie bogans trying to pick up ugly-but-still-think-they're-hot Cronulla chicks.