What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nominate Your 17 Man Team of Worst Performances in 2004

elili

Juniors
Pick your team of players based on the worst individual performances in the 2004 rugby league season by game and position.

Give a description of the woeful performance that earned your ‘respect’ and nomination.

Some criteria to go by:
- Cost their team the match :evil:
- Sent off or sinned binned :roll:
- Replaced by the coach because of their ineptitude :cry:
- Dropped to premier league or jim beam cup the next week :)
- Released from their contract with the club subsequently :lol:
- Lost the respect of ALL who witnessed them :oops:

For example, and one of my nominations:

Centre:
Shannon Hegarty, Round 18, Roosters vs. Eels:
:evil: :) :lol: :oops:

After a ground breaking 2003 in which he, in a series of lucky selections due to injuries, debuted for Queensland and Australia but then went on to establish himself as a representative star by playing all three State of Origin matches and making the Kangaroo tour, Shannon spend most of 2004 languishing in Premier league recovering from an ankle injury, unable to oust either Todd Byrne or Gavin Lester from first grade.

In round 17 he got the call up into an origin depleted Roosters side and looked to be finding his feet. Rooster fans were keenly anticipating the return of the player that had been a 2003 rep star. He managed to retain his position in a full strength Roosters team for round 18 against Parramatta. Hegarty was back! Rooster fans celebrated, but not for long.

In a simple game plan against the much favoured top side, Parramatta’s young half back Michael Witt decided to pepper Hegarty with bomb after bomb for their flyer Luke Burt. In one of the most inept performances of 2004 the class of Shannon Hegarty shone through when put under the test… And the source of that shine found the test, quite literally, as bomb after bomb humorously bounced off a confused Hegartys shimmering bald head and popped up into the hands of a waiting Luke Burt, not once, not twice, but three times. The bald that glittered was gold for Parramatta and the Eels never looked back, despite Coach Stuart switching backline positions, they brought home victory and one of the upsets of the season, all on the back of the bounce off Hegartys head.

Shannon Hegarty was dropped back to premier league the next week. Gavin Lester replaced him. In what was a secretive and suspicious episode the Roosters released him from the last year of his contract and he will be leaving the club next year for Souths.

He has since fought his way back into the first grade team. But his round 18 performance was one of the worst of 2004, earning his position in the team of worst performances of the season.

Ok, i'll keep on posting my nominations over the next few days as well, now for your nominations for the team of worst performances of 2004

Tommy Smith

Referee
Dene Halatau vs the Cowboys two weeks ago. It was as if the Tiges had plucked a drunk from the streets and put him in a jersey. Touched the ball about nine times and dropped it on seven of those occasions.

Justin Hodges vs the Dogs the second time we met. Missed tackles and got sent off. Worst performance of his career...even worse than his Origin debut.

They would be the centres.

Phillips

Referee
Daniel Wagon vs Raiders

in an attacking zone, dropped the ball TWICE when surely we would have scored :x

elili

Juniors
I'm writing the Hodges one up now. :lol: now that its in the past.

How bad was it. Has there ever been 60 minutes of football in which a mans life has been so utterly destroyed?

Between being shown up, having your SoO place taken by the man who showed you up, to losing your mind, to losing the respect of your coach, to losing the respect of your team mates, to taking the soft option to throw away a long term contract and to hide from it all interstate, to being suspended, to being dropped, to the most over rated awards. And all of this after his best performance the week before, the insider column in Big League saying all the problems were over and the plea to the qld selecters to pick him at centre.

Jesus, it f-cked his life up.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ashley Graham, led the Panthers to two tries.

* Took the ball from his own goal line with 2 panthers chasing him, and steps sideways and then decides to go where Lewis and Rooney instead going into space. 2 minutes later Penrith scored
* Didnt take a pass from Wade McKinnon who was dummying as if to say "come with me Ash", then didnt look and dropped it. Which also led to a Penrith try
* Another one was where he dropped the ball from a bomb in which he wouldve scored. My grandmother couldve taken that bomb

i cant go on, he is our worst player. :x

innsaneink

Referee
Nathan Cayless....The Parra V Nth Qld game......had a running battle with the ref all nite, gave away umpteen penalties, hit Hannay in the head and got suspended for it and broke his arm in the process.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Basically the whole team lost the plot in that game, Cayless didnt control them well enough.

t-ba

Post Whore
Jye Mullane, rd11 vs Sharks.

Showed aptly why he the Sharks released him.

Bombed two tries by dropping the ball in open pastures, kicked to 5th tackle plays into the grandstand, and defended like confetti paper...

Kris_man

Bench
Jason Bulgarelli:

In Round 2 against the panthers, the Raiders were up 18-12 midway through the second half. bulgarelli took advantage of an overlap and made a break down the left touchline. robertson, his winger, came inside him, creating a 2-on-1 situation with the fullback (i think it was Rhys Wesser). If the ball is passed to Robertson, the Raiders get to 24-12, getting an almost unassailable lead. but it was as if Bugarelli did not even see Robertson. He tried to take Wesser on using his speed - not a smart idea. The panthers went on to win the game 34-12.
I'll leave the door open for another Raiders fan to tell us about one of the many other "Boogers specials".

Eels Dude

Coach
That reminds me of a dream I had recently where Parramatta were playing the Roosters, we were up 40 - 16 at half time and ended up winning 20-12.

tiger_nick

Bench
Halatau against the Cowboys was dreadful, but so was everybody else. The thing is it was like he tried too hard, he dropped the ball a few times and instead of going out and hiding in the centers, he kept coming infield looking for it and wanting to make up for the dropped ball, but just kept dropping it! Still he was close to our best in every other ga,e all year so its hard to fault the guy!!

Hahaa Hodges v Canterbury was hilarious. The only person pissed off when he got sentoff was Tonga cause he was having a field day on him!!

Eels Dude

Coach
I remember Hodges had a shocker in premier league against Parra earlier in the season. They won the game easily, but he stuffed up 2 short Parramatta dropouts in the space of 5 minutes, batting one back to the Eels, and knocking the other over the sideline.

Anonymous

Juniors
kris_man said:
Jason Bulgarelli:

In Round 2 against the panthers, the Raiders were up 18-12 midway through the second half. bulgarelli took advantage of an overlap and made a break down the left touchline. robertson, his winger, came inside him, creating a 2-on-1 situation with the fullback (i think it was Rhys Wesser). If the ball is passed to Robertson, the Raiders get to 24-12, getting an almost unassailable lead. but it was as if Bugarelli did not even see Robertson. He tried to take Wesser on using his speed - not a smart idea. The panthers went on to win the game 34-12.
I'll leave the door open for another Raiders fan to tell us about one of the many other "Boogers specials".

What he said.

Rambo

Juniors
What about Danny Williams? Surely he is the frontrunner!

Tigers v Storm and he lamps Mark O’Neill just as the storm go in for a try which could have won them the match.
Completely turned the game as Storm were on a roll and looked like winning.
As it was the try was disallowed and the tigers went on the win.

sydraider

First Grade
Its funny what a little incident can do, if bulgarelli made that pass, more than likely we would have won the game. I still believe that game sunk us this year in more ways than one.
Our confidence was shot after that game, so was bulgarellis and he went on to have a fruitful season of bulgarelli specials.

Big Mick

Referee
The shitlist team:

1. Brad Watts
2. Justin Hodges
3. Jason Bulgarelli
4. Jamie Lyon ( c )
5. John Hopoate
6. Greg Bird
7. Jye Mullane
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Monty Betham