What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
"[Tol] has even said there is no doubt in his mind that there is an overwhelming scientific consensus, so everyone is a little bit amused by the fact that he agrees with our results and yet he has been attacking our research," he said.

ToE tHe LiNe MeRkIn!!!

Bazal

Post Whore
I like Tol.

Echoes my own thoughts on where science has gone, particularly regarding this issue.

Scepticism is the basis of science. Consensus science is legitimately dangerous

TheRam

Coach
I feel like you made that up.

The real HJ would never go that long without mentioning Pizza-gate

Yep, he often has a point when he questions things (which I naturally question) but severely lets himself down by being just as sloppy and absolute as those that he questions.

It's the sort of irony that is far too ironic for Alanis Morrissette to pick up on.

A Scientist and a Marine Boy walked into a bar and before they could utter another word of crap, Hollywood Jesus performed a modern day miracle and convinced them that 97% of all alcohol is just holy water. So now they just drink their own urine and buckets of craft beer. After a short while they dispensed with the beer.

Bandwagon

Staff member
"Tol dislikes, in principle, the idea of a consensus. After all, the point of science is to challenge accepted wisdom and refine it, a process that runs somewhat counter to the idea of a consensus."

It's a fair point. I believe human activity is more likely than not to be contributing to climate change, but the idea of majority consensus in this is misleading and only helpful for convincing idiots. Science isn't democratic.

This is also a good point:
'While the Cook study may quantify the views expressed in published literature, it does not establish the beliefs of any defined group of scientists, Krosnick said.

"How do you determine who qualifies to be surveyed and who doesn't qualify?" he asked. "Personally, I haven't seen anyone accomplish that yet."'

I like Tol.

Echoes my own thoughts on where science has gone, particularly regarding this issue.

Scepticism is the basis of science. Consensus science is legitimately dangerous

i think what it demonstrates is that the purposes of Cook et al in that particular study was not science, but an attempt to apply scientific method to public debate.

It really hasn't managed to serve that purpose, but I understand the reasoning. The science has been lost in the political debate, and has it's self become politicised.

It's a rather sorry state of affairs.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
A Scientist and a Marine Boy walked into a bar and before they could utter another word of crap, Hollywood Jesus performed a modern day miracle and convinced them that 97% of all alcohol is just holy water. So now they just drink their own urine and buckets of craft beer. After a short while they dispensed with the beer.
There is a 97% consensus that this made no sense at all.

Here's a quick video regarding the 97% claim and how it's basically bullshit:

Personally, I was convinced by the charismatic host...

...but the info here is essentially correct. In short, Cook et al are a bunch fraudsters and now everyone is running around using that paper as gospel and shouting down anyone who dares question "the science".

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I was being facetious, dude. Watch the video - the guy is a like a plank of wood.

haha, so was I

I started watching it but sorry I just find it all pointless arguing over whether the 97% is accurate or not, safe to say its an overwhelming majority

how are the fires up your way today ?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I doubt people would quote the 97% thing if there weren't so many extreme deniers. Its just how it works. Is it accurate? Who f**ken cares?

Personally, there a valid arguments on both sides and I'm not completely convinced one way or the other (though I am probably leaning towards it being an issue).

At this stage though, the idiotic and irrelevant debate by people on the extremeties is actually pretty boring. I thought it was just a phase that those of who went to uni got out of our systems by the time we were 21 (along with the drugs).

hindy111

Post Whore
None of us know the answer. We all just base our opinion on what someone else is expressing for whatever reasons.
Gronk on the left of me HJ on the right and here I am stuck in the middle with you.

Ask yourself these.
What would be worse if we where wrong ? Doing nothing or doing something. Both would have disadvantages. But we would still survive as a species. I'd be happier to look after the planet and kind of think only an ignorant person would think humans aren't having some cause of climate change. We breathe co2. We consume.The question is how much and what things are we doing that jas the biggest effect. It could come down to just how much oxygen we are sucking up.

hindy111

Post Whore
I also think these merkins protesting need to grow the f**k up. Our resources are stretched as it is. Atleast wait untill the f**king fires are under control before ya merkins.
Go help some of the wild life perhaps with your spare time. Would be far more productive.