What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the problems in the US stem from guns. I think they stem from the US's ingrained sense of self (individual) importance. The US is the home of selfishness and everyone expects the rest of them to pander to their selfishness.

This creates selfish nutters who can't handle anyone else who is different from them. US liberty has created intolerance and self-righteousness that is way out of control. You can see it on both the left and the right. This is a problem in and of itself, however if you then give that person a gun...

Suitman

Post Whore
I don't think the problems in the US stem from guns. I think they stem from the US's ingrained sense of self (individual) importance. The US is the home of selfishness and everyone expects the rest of them to pander to their selfishness.

This creates selfish nutters who can't handle anyone else who is different from them. US liberty has created intolerance and self-righteousness that is way out of control. You can see it on both the left and the right. This is a problem in and of itself, however if you then give that person a gun...

I can't say that I disagree with any of that.
Quite simple really.

Gronk

Staff member
Obama said today that 400,000 US citizens have been killed by guns since 9/11.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I read HJ's gibber but I'm still not sure how the killing of 400,000 people in the US by guns since 9/11 is not a gun problem.

I am just glad that we have managed to have some level of gun control in Aus. If we end up with guns in any number then we are f**ked given how intolerant and angry everyone has become in this country.

We can point the finger at the US but quite frankly, if we had the same availability of guns then we would be much worse.

Someone

Bench
I am just glad that we have managed to have some level of gun control in Aus. If we end up with guns in any number then we are f**ked given how intolerant and angry everyone has become in this country.

We can point the finger at the US but quite frankly, if we had the same availability of guns then we would be much worse.

it isn't the guns, more the hoops one has to jump to get a licence and then a gun. we need a genuine reason and proof of that reason in Australia. you can get a gun in America because you like things that go bang. and thats the difference. not the type of guns we can or cant get.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
it isn't the guns, more the hoops one has to jump to get a licence and then a gun. we need a genuine reason and proof of that reason in Australia. you can get a gun in America because you like things that go bang. and thats the difference. not the type of guns we can or cant get.

Fair enough. But that doesn't change my point about the importance of gun control in Australia.

I'm just glad that whatever it is that allows guns to get in the hands of people in the US doesn't exist here.

Gronk

Staff member
Was going to do Europe next year but now may just do another US trip. This time the Highway 1 San Diego to San Fran drive stopping at 10 places and then fly to Hawaii.

http://www.visitcalifornia.com/trip/highway-one-classic

Well the good news is that you can get your own gun over there and fly with it too.

http://m.wikihow.com/Travel-on-Airplanes-With-a-Gun

I'll be there in a few weeks and might pack some heat to protect my family. I just need to pass a background check or if I want to avoid that I just buy my high powered weapon at a gun show. For some reason this is a loop hole that the pollies refuse to close.

Gronk

Staff member
Forgetting this particular case (as we don't know that much yet), but referring more broadly to the people who violently attack abortion clinics......They're using violence trying to scare individuals and governments into changing their behaviour to meet the perpetrators' preferred political outcomes (i.e. they want to change the law and people's existing rights). Smells like terrorism to me.

NBC New YorkVerified account
‏@NBCNewYork
#BREAKING: The Senate has voted to defund Planned Parenthood http://4.nbcny.com/rr2G3pm

So he won ?

robert-dear-colorado-springs-planned-parenthood-shooter-200x100.jpg

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think they have been campaigning against it for 10 years.... doubt that nutter had much to do with it. Didn't he also have anti Obama paraphernalia scatteredabout his demesne? Are the senate punting him as well?

Gronk

Staff member
I think they have been campaigning against it for 10 years.... doubt that nutter had much to do with it. Didn't he also have anti Obama paraphernalia scatteredabout his demesne? Are the senate punting him as well?

Apparently Obama can torpedo it.

The House is expected to send the bill to President Barack Obama in the coming days. The White House has pledged that Obama will veto it.
Republicans lack the two-thirds House and Senate majorities needed to override a veto. That means the measure will achieve one thing: giving both parties political messaging they can use in next year?s elections.

Kornstar

Coach
Ai yai yai!

Syed Farouk, the San Bernadino shooter, had bombs n stuff made up too.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...e/news-story/ad26dbdb91980e693a564e3cc0f1facf

This is not to spark the Muslim debate again - apparently the last 2 years he was an ardent practicioner of Islam - just sad to think that the Americans will say 'just an act of terror' as an excuse to keep dishing out guns to loonies, who are also shooting people....

That's the thing though, most Americans are sick of the gun violence and deaths but then they have these mass shootings and feel that they need to be more armed to combat it.

It is ingrained in them to have the right to bear arms, that is something that is hard to break.

This was a terror attack, these guys did exactly what Daesh want, regardless of they are in any way tied with them. Why call it anything else because we think their gun laws are stupid?

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
The gun lobby have got plenty of cash too ..

Sky News Australia ‏@SkyNewsAust 7m7 minutes ago
US Senate votes down gun restrictions http://bit.ly/1QiKh9E

@SenateMajLdr received $922,000+ in expenditures from NRA so he voted against today's background check measure

@sendavidperdue received $279,173 in expenditures from NRA so he voted against today's background check measure

Sen. @robportman received $596,489 in expenditures from NRA, so he voted against today's background check measure

Sen. @ThomTillis received $2,459,881 in expenditures from NRA. He voted against today's background check measure

oldmancraigy

Coach
That's the thing though, most Americans are sick of the gun violence and deaths but then they have these mass shootings and feel that they need to be more armed to combat it.

It is ingrained in them to have the right to bare arms, that is something that is hard to break.

This was a terror attack, these guys did exactly what Daesh want, regardless of they are in any way tied with them. Why call it anything else because we think their gun laws are stupid?

Agreed it was a terror attack.

All I am saying is that the US will say 'oh just a terror attack, we need better screening', rather than looking at the tens of thousands getting slaughtered every year and thinking 'maybe our gun laws are dumb'.

Bottom line, those zealots were gonna kill 14 people no matter the gun laws. But the other crazies might not be able to get a weapon so easily.....

Status
Not open for further replies.