What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norway RL

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
griff said:
Not really international forum topic, but on Tassie - I can't believe getting the comp back up and running isn't a major priority for the ARL.

Having RL played in every state of Australia is a pretty fundamental part of developing the game. Getting a development officer and a couple of pre-season NRL games in Hobart and Launceston couldn't be that hard.

As recently as last year the ARL decided not to even run a few skill sessions in the schools. It is a pity, because the longer it is dormant, the harder it will be to get things back up and running.

Having said that, I can understand why we are not a priority. In total, Tassie only has a population of about 470,000 (just over 2% of the total Aussie population) - ~220,000 of these are in Hobart and the next biggest town is Inceston with about ~60,000 (about 2.5 hours up the track). It is Aussie Rules heartland here, so it wouldn't be an easy nut to crack.

As much as I wish it weren't the case, it does make more sense for the ARL to concentrate on the bigger areas like Victoria (over 3 million in Melbourne and the most densely populated state in Australia), Perth and Adelaide (each 1 million plus) before worrying about Tassie.

Darwin is much smaller than Hobart, but has a league culture so it makes sense for the ARL to support them too.

Hopefully now that league is just starting to recover from the SuckerLeague war, a few more $$$ will become available in the next couple of years (particularly if the internationals are successful).

langpark said:
Good onya Mr Ugly. Where are u originally from?

Grew up in Sydney but have lived in Melbourne, South Aust and this is my second stint in Hobart. I've been out of Sydney for the best part of a decade all up.

HelperMonkey

Juniors
griff said:
Not really international forum topic, but on Tassie - I can't believe getting the comp back up and running isn't a major priority for the ARL.

Having RL played in every state of Australia is a pretty fundamental part of developing the game. Getting a development officer and a couple of pre-season NRL games in Hobart and Launceston couldn't be that hard.
Its the cost factor, a new Development Officer costs around $50K just in wages/super/taxes alone, plus then car, office, equipment, the Development Officer will need assistance, you are looking at an expense of around $100K per year, which is hard to justify whilst the area has no active league playing, especially when there are 100's of areas around Ausgtralia all jumping up and down saying we could use a Development Officer.

Pre-Season NRL games aren't cheap either. For ANZAC Oval, Alice Springs, the game between Newcastle and Penrith cost $120,000 to hold, and Newcastle and Penrith covered their own transport costs and did not charge a fee for the game.

There is money aside for Tasmania, if they come back into the fold with a serious structure, till then that money is being shared between the other affiliated states, who are welcoming it with open arms considering they are all experiencing significant growth.

Justin666

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
Norwegian would ? Excuse my pessimism but Justin Ryan doesn't sound like a very Norwegian name to me .

My Norwegian name is Jostein Ryan, but I call myself Justin Ryan outside of Norway because it is easier to pronounce and sounds a bit like Justin.

Thanks for all your support guys. I think this is going to kick off, but I think I will need to get hold of some balls. I only have 1 and that aint good for 80 pupils.

Could I contact anyone about getting balls shipped to Norway?

langpark

First Grade
Justin666 said:
My Norwegian name is Jostein Ryan, but I call myself Justin Ryan outside of Norway because it is easier to pronounce and sounds a bit like Justin.

Thanks for all your support guys. I think this is going to kick off, but I think I will need to get hold of some balls. I only have 1 and that aint good for 80 pupils.

Could I contact anyone about getting balls shipped to Norway?
if i were you, i would send an email to a few different ARL Development Officers, one of em is bound to send you some.

I used to work there, they have box loads of em, so it'd be a shame to see em go to waste.

Good luck with it man

Justin666

Juniors
Yeah, I have just emailed some. Hopefully, they have something they no longer need that could be useful for me.

THRUM HALL

Juniors
Best of look Jostein-You will need it. Sounds like the RLEF are doing well in Europe and hope they support you.

ali

Bench
Mr_Ugly said:
Yes I have.

I played in the last full season down here (although I joined up late and so didn't play the full season). Then the league fell over, so that was that.

Then about 3 years ago, a bloke who I played touch with took it on himself to try to get league back up and running (it is his name and contact details on the Tassie RL web site). We had a meeting with some of the people who had previously been involved down here, and I offered to help him out both on the field and off. However he couldn't get the support he wanted out of the ARL (this was about 3 years ago, so budgets were still stretched from the SuperLeague fallout), and in the end nothing came of it. He has now moved back to Canberra, so that avenue is dead.

I am now getting a bit old to play (37 next month). I have 3 young sons, am working and studying, and the wife has a few problems, so I don't get much spare time out of the house at the moment (although I do spend way too much time posting on here). However in a couple of years when my boys get a bit older, I do intend to have a crack at getting something up and running if we are still here.

I am a big believer that Globalisation and pay TV is leading to the spread of a lot of sports. I think interest in Tassie will start again soon. There must be thousands of people watching games on Fox. I have no doubt you'll have some footy down there within a few years.

Matterhorn

Juniors
Hei Jostein.

I have been to Norway very beautiful place.

I look forward to reading about when Tromso plays Trondheim in many years to come.

hgfds

Juniors
With its push into the nth states Tasmania has to be the area that afl has neglected in fact there was a recent article highlighting the decline of the afl in that state,the afl seems to concentrate on a national scale even visiting newcastle and woolongong .So there has to be areas in the growth subs of melb regional vic etc that the nrl can concentrate on.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Mods ... there is probably a bit too much Tassie stuff in this thread. Any chance of pulling the Tassie posts out and sticking them in a thread in a more appropriate place?

ali said:
I am a big believer that Globalisation and pay TV is leading to the spread of a lot of sports. I think interest in Tassie will start again soon. There must be thousands of people watching games on Fox. I have no doubt you'll have some footy down there within a few years.

Here's hoping! When I first moved down here in '98 I couldn't even get league on pay tv, so at least that situation has improved.

Although big games such as origin and GF generally make it to free to air, until about a year ago, these games were almost always shifted a couple of hours from their advertised times (either forward or backwards) and so were quite easy to miss, even for people like me who want to watch them. It was like they wanted no one to watch them so they could then say that the games didn't rate well. Hopefully this practice has now finished.

hgfds said:
With its push into the nth states Tasmania has to be the area that afl has neglected in fact there was a recent article highlighting the decline of the afl in that state,the afl seems to concentrate on a national scale even visiting newcastle and woolongong .So there has to be areas in the growth subs of melb regional vic etc that the nrl can concentrate on.

Actually, Tassie is pretty well catered for by the AFL. Both St Kilda and Hawthorn play a few home games here every year (six or so between them?).

Tassie also has a team in the VFL (which is effectively the reserve grade competition for the AFL), and pulls home crowds of several thousand. As of this year, the Tassie VFL side is affiliated with North Melbourne, and so a few "1st" graders will get a run, which will further add to the side's appeal.

I haven't seen any evidence of support for Aussie rules falling, and AFL support of Tassie has continued to grow in since I first arrived here 8 years ago.

hgfds

Juniors
LINK
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/04/07/1143916721882.html
With the afl constantly going to places all around australia like newcastle there has to be more rotten fruit in regional victoria the growth suburbs of melbourne and tasmania,if the nrl went there the afl would concentrate on its heartlands a bit more an less on newcastle,nsw etc ,the afl has far too much money it has been throwing money away in nsw for a long while which would be better spent in vic,tas ,

Justin666

Juniors
Update:

The following plan is what I intend to do with the pupils until the end of the school year, which is in 7-8 weeks.

- Still continue showing them RL videos in school time.

- After school, conduct some training sessions

1. Am thinking about conducting 2 X 1 hour training sessions a week
2. Will mainly focus on passing the ball, kicking the ball, catching the ball and playing touch football.
3. Maybe I could set up some games, where the local public can come and watch RL. But only if I feel the kids know how to play the game.

What do you guys think?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
What's the age groups you dealing with ?

I saw an interesting piece about a new soccer initiative in Australia called "Football anywhere". It's focus is on 5-a-side soccer to ensure everyone gets a go instead of 11-a-side where some players can be left out.

If workable, somelike like mod footy, the 11 a side stuff, smaller pitches, get the ball handling and try scoring a focus.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Justin666 said:
Update:

The following plan is what I intend to do with the pupils until the end of the school year, which is in 7-8 weeks.

- Still continue showing them RL videos in school time.

2. Will mainly focus on passing the ball, kicking the ball, catching the ball and playing touch football.
3. Maybe I could set up some games, where the local public can come and watch RL. But only if I feel the kids know how to play the game.

What do you guys think?

Points one and two seem good to me.

As to point 3, I think that once the kids have some idea of what they are doing, then it would probably be worthwhile to show the game to new kids / parents as a way of expanding interest. I wouldn't expect too many adults to fall in love with league from watching these games however.

If you want to generate interest in RL among adults, then maybe you could organise with a local publican to play league videos once or twice a week (if you have a reasonable video collection of course).

Justin666

Juniors
Originally posted this article on http://www.lasttackle.co.uk

I grew up watching rugby league. As a young boy, it was the only sport I really paid a lot of attention to, although I was a keen follower of cricket. However, there was something about rugby league which caught my eye. I have been following the sport for almost 14 years now, and I enjoy it just as much as I did when I was younger. The sport has given me a lot of things; excitement, enjoyment, pleasure and satisfaction. It has given me so much, and I feel now that I should try and give something back to the sport which has given me so much. I am in a position to do so, so why not?

Most of you on Last Tackle know that I am a 24 year old male currently living and working in Norway. I am currently working at a primary school not so far away from where I live. I don’t teach a specific class; I teach mainly years 5-6-7, the elder group of kids at the primary school. Since I was employed at the school after working at other schools, I have run a special project with years 6 and 7. This is a special project because it is voluntary, no children have to be apart of it if they don’t wish. The project has been about teaching the children about the wonderful sport of rugby league. Since February, I have been teaching these children about the sport. Every week, the children who want to, can come to the school library, where they can watch rugby league tapes from my own collection. This method of teaching them the sport has proved effective. Learning the sport through watching it has made it easy for the kids to get a feel of what it is all about.

When I started the project, I had no problems convincing the children to come along and watch games. They were really enthusiastic and excited about the whole concept. It was something totally new for them, although they had heard the word “rugby” before. Although they had heard it, most of them confused it with American football, which I might add is totally different to rugby league. This confusion is no more amongst the children who now understand the sport.
Teaching the children about the sport was quite simply easy. I had no problems teaching them the rules. Learning the sport is much easier if you are motivated for learning about it. It took the children just a few weeks to understand the basics of the sport, something which gobsmacked me. I had not thought that they could have learnt and understood the sport so quickly.

After a few weeks, I could see that the number of kids who were coming to the library to watch games was decreasing. I was a bit upset; however, there were still a lot of children coming to watch games. Interest was still high. Through the Last Tackle forum, I got into touch with Tim Karlov, a male from Tasmania who also is very keen on developing the sport. He gave me a few pointers, ie who to contact if I wanted to develop the game. He set me up with the ARL, Oztag and the RFL. Without Tim, I don’t think I would have thought about contacting these federations at all. I would like to thank you Tim for setting me up with these federations, and for supporting me throughout this whole development stage.

As interest for RL was high, I thought it might be a good idea to let the children have a feel of what it is like to play the game, not just watch it. I got in touch with these federations, and have so far received some balls and coaching programmes from the RFL. I am greatly grateful for this. I am also awaiting a package from Oztag, where I have been promised tag belts and much more. I don’t want the kids playing tackle just yet; they are too young and inexperienced.With all this equipment, it will be possible for me to teach these kids how to play the game.

From next week on until the summer break, which starts in 5 weeks, I will be taking the children out and teaching them the basics of the sport. Every child in years 6 and 7 know about this. Again, this is voluntary. However, I have had lots of positive feedback from the children, and the teachers/administration about this idea, so that’s good. With the little amount of weeks remaining, there won’t be time to organise any games for the kids to play in. There will be a lot of time for that next year though.

Well, that’s the state of Norwegian RL at the current moment. It is still in its infancy, but I have big plans for the sport in this country, although I will be focussing on the local region for a while. I am committed to developing the sport in this country, and I hope I will succeed. Lets see what happens!

PS. Thanks to everyone who has supported me!

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Good job Justin.

I hope that you can get significant help from Kevin Rudd at the Rugby League European Federation. At some point someone in the RLEF should provide some money for funding a weekend competition for the boys.

As for videos I hope that you have access to State of Origin DVDs. Also take a look at the Newcastle vs Wests Tigers match from last weekend. Two maestros Andrew Johns and Benji Marshall were there showing how the game can be played at its highest level by superb athletes.

sharkies9

Juniors
Justin , I am currently coaching flag rugby league to kids in 2nd to 5th grade at the elementary school i teach at outside of philadelphia , Pennsylvania, USA. For kids at this age I have found that teams of 5 work well on smaller sized fields. Playing flag instead of touch makes it more realistic to rugby league and is more fun than touch. The kids love it. These are kids who most have never heard of rugby. Let alone rugby union or rugby league. Only some have seen some union on tv and have no clue what the game is about.
These kids will be playing a curtain raiser to before the sharks vs. philly fight game in levittown, PA on thursday night night. I have about 65 kids involved.

quoted from justin-

Still continue showing them RL videos in school time.

What do you guys think?[/quote]

Latest posts