What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now...2019 Who To Keep / Who To Release

slippery5

Juniors
I hope he turns out to be more than a thousand other 16yr old future star that every club signs in the hope that one comes to fruition.

Here is my list of players off Contract 2019 in alpha order of our Top Tier including development.
Allgood, Blacker, Dufty, Field, Kerr, Lats, Lawrie, Lomax (Haydn), Lovodua, Maranta, Marsters, Nicholls, Robson, Sailor, Timm

Graham but has an option in his favour for 2020 but for this exercise we will assume he will retire this year.
Widdop is as good as gone so we also assume he wont be with us in 2020
After these 2 we could have about 1.3 mill to spend on top of others who may depart for new internal contracts.

The other assumption is we can not sign any player from another club not off contract in 2019.

Must Haves (Dufty, Field, Lawrie, Marsters, Robson).

Watch & See's In preference order who I like to keep ;
Sailor - he was close to a must have but went with Field as back up half. Sailor could still be worth investing in as can play a few positions.
Kerr - big unit and needed time to grow into the prop role. I am keen to invest but this year as we will need good props. He has to start proving he is beyond ISP in 2019 or cut him.
Lomax - another one worth investing in and have been told by a few he has the goods like his brother but still young as a lock / backrower. We may need forwards if people like JDB get the flick, and Host does not improve to expectations.
Timm - I was told on Sunday he is a similar style to Blake Lawrie and is keen and loves the tough runs & contact. Worth looking at as we will need props.
Blacker - dont now much but the club has huge wraps on him as a future prop. Big strapping kid..but still a kid. If Kerr does not step up he will be the replacement for him but only see him ISP level ATM.

Surplus to our needs for 2020 and dont spend cap money on. ISP contracts only if they love the club that much and want to stay (Allgood, Lats, Lovodua, Maranta, Nicholls)

I'd like to read others opinions on how we go forward although when back from hols on the weekend.
Although I already know what some will be. ;)
Fun times for Possm & Basil working together in sorting all that lot out this year.

Disclaimer: Dont shoot the messenger. My opinion only...on who we keep and spend money on

Release Mary.

Straight Shooter

BennyV

Referee
Here is my list of players off Contract 2019 in alpha order of our Top Tier including development.
Allgood, Blacker, Dufty, Field, Kerr, Lats, Lawrie, Lomax (Haydn), Lovodua, Maranta, Marsters, Nicholls, Robson, Sailor, Timm

Graham but has an option in his favour for 2020 but for this exercise we will assume he will retire this year.
Widdop is as good as gone so we also assume he wont be with us in 2020
After these 2 we could have about 1.3 mill to spend on top of others who may depart for new internal contracts.

The other assumption is we can not sign any player from another club not off contract in 2019.

Must Haves (Dufty, Field, Lawrie, Marsters, Robson).

Watch & See's In preference order who I like to keep ;
Sailor - he was close to a must have but went with Field as back up half. Sailor could still be worth investing in as can play a few positions.
Kerr - big unit and needed time to grow into the prop role. I am keen to invest but this year as we will need good props. He has to start proving he is beyond ISP in 2019 or cut him.
Lomax - another one worth investing in and have been told by a few he has the goods like his brother but still young as a lock / backrower. We may need forwards if people like JDB get the flick, and Host does not improve to expectations.
Timm - I was told on Sunday he is a similar style to Blake Lawrie and is keen and loves the tough runs & contact. Worth looking at as we will need props.
Blacker - dont now much but the club has huge wraps on him as a future prop. Big strapping kid..but still a kid. If Kerr does not step up he will be the replacement for him but only see him ISP level ATM.

Surplus to our needs for 2020 and dont spend cap money on. ISP contracts only if they love the club that much and want to stay (Allgood, Lats, Lovodua, Maranta, Nicholls)

I'd like to read others opinions on how we go forward although when back from hols on the weekend.
Although I already know what some will be. ;)
Fun times for Possm & Basil working together in sorting all that lot out this year.

Disclaimer: Dont shoot the messenger. My opinion only...on who we keep and spend money on
Just wanted to say...”Don’t shoot the messenger” is only valid if you are delivering a message for someone else. You are giving your own opinion, therefore you are not ‘the messenger’ and are open to shots.

New Dragon

Juniors
Field won’t stay as he will not sit beyond this year playing isp. He will either get offers or his defensive problems will make it hard for him. Sailor I reckon based on last years flegg performances has a lot of pressure on him or he will not progress. Still unsure how/why Hayden Lomax got a development spot based on 8 flegg games last year. He would need to grow 4 inches if he is to become a back rower hence why he is training at dummy half. Good luck playing there. Robson will be the greatest loss and a big chance of him leaving. CM will start and Robbo won’t settle for playing utility and therefore the pull of mal and him being a Gold Coast family will be too great. Ford, Marsters lovodua will all be based on form this year. Dufty is interesting and will be clearer come round one. If he is in isp or on the bench then it seems the decision is made unless the Widdop movevsaves him??

Como Connection

First Grade
Field won’t stay as he will not sit beyond this year playing isp. He will either get offers or his defensive problems will make it hard for him. Sailor I reckon based on last years flegg performances has a lot of pressure on him or he will not progress. Still unsure how/why Hayden Lomax got a development spot based on 8 flegg games last year. He would need to grow 4 inches if he is to become a back rower hence why he is training at dummy half. Good luck playing there. Robson will be the greatest loss and a big chance of him leaving. CM will start and Robbo won’t settle for playing utility and therefore the pull of mal and him being a Gold Coast family will be too great. Ford, Marsters lovodua will all be based on form this year. Dufty is interesting and will be clearer come round one. If he is in isp or on the bench then it seems the decision is made unless the Widdop movevsaves him??
Thanks New Dragon for that, interesting times ahead.
CC

RufusRex

Post Whore

It was obvious in the trials that Robson was ready and Mary f**ked him/mann and even McInnes around trying to turn Mann into that bench middle when Robson was the better option. McInnes needs a break - two seasons in a row playing every minute have blunted him.

Will be filth if we lose Robson ... He is our future. Round 1 he needs to be playing 30 minutes building more and more and after 10 rounds a decision made on him or McInness to start based on form.

Is Hayden Lomax getting that spot part of a strategy to make it harder to lose Zac?

RufusRex

Post Whore
The only time Mary replaces a guy is when rip van winkle appears......as far as I know he has never dropped an underperforming player .correct me if I'm wrong .....

made plenty of changes in position 16/17 - not sure any of that was based on form .. Hasnt really dropped an under performing established player though ... Our pathways at times seem hazy.

Injury has been Mary’s best selector