What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now Gold Coast United are gone...

applesauce

Bench
Will the Titans get a good deal from Stadiums QLD?

The Government can't afford to let Skilled sit idle and unused if the Titans continue to lose coin from paying 300k to hold a single game and could one day fall over because of it. A massive massive amount of tax payer money could literally go down the drain.

So will the IC and Titans team up to talk to the 2 QLD parties and Stadiums QLD in the lead up to the election and prevent Skilled from being a relic of another Gold Coast sporting team?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL and Queensland clubs need to be getting togther to form a strong lobby group on this. Make it a political issue and watch them change their minds quickly! It is clearly inequitable when you see the deal AFl gets and unsustainable for the clubs.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Maybe they'll make up for the lost income by raising the Titans rent? These are politicians we are talking about.

BunniesMan

Immortal
With an impending big raise in tv rights money, I doubt the QLD government would be dumb enough to think the NRL will let a club fall over anytime soon. They would think they have a nice cash cow on their hands.

The only thing that would get a better deal would be to get better negotiators because it seems the Tits are useless at it.

The difference between what the Suns get and what the Titans get is like the difference between what Dogs/Souths get at ANZ and what Easts get at SFS. It's all about not being crap at negotiating.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Will the Titans get a good deal from Stadiums QLD?

The Government can't afford to let Skilled sit idle and unused if the Titans continue to lose coin from paying 300k to hold a single game and could one day fall over because of it. A massive massive amount of tax payer money could literally go down the drain.

So will the IC and Titans team up to talk to the 2 QLD parties and Stadiums QLD in the lead up to the election and prevent Skilled from being a relic of another Gold Coast sporting team?

Why do Stadium OLD charge so much as they sound like the big Pub company's in England who are shutting pubs because they are charging too much in rent, which I can not understand why.

Eels Dude

Coach
Why do Stadium OLD charge so much as they sound like the big Pub company's in England who are shutting pubs because they are charging too much in rent, which I can not understand why.

Building and maintaining a stadium isn't cheap. They obviously want to make their money back hence the high rent.

meltiger

First Grade
Same thing is happening down here with AAMI.

Last year it cost around $27 (GA) to attend a Storm game .... $19 across the road at the MCG.

It's criminal. Pretty much a fledging club in a foreign market being forced to charge 50% more than their far more established opposition for people to attend their games.

Not so bad if a membership is bought but when trying to sell the club/sport to new fans...

Jason Maher

Immortal
Building and maintaining a stadium isn't cheap. They obviously want to make their money back hence the high rent.

Then why aren't they trying to make their money back from the Suns, a suburb away? I doubt the Cararra upgrade was done for 2 and 10.

amaline

Juniors
Then why aren't they trying to make their money back from the Suns, a suburb away? I doubt the Cararra upgrade was done for 2 and 10.

I believe the AFL contributed something like $13 million to construction of Metricon Stadium. That gives them a better deal, I guess.

Eelectrica

Referee
Stadiums QLD have the Titans over a barrel and they know it. The Titans have no where to go and are the no.1 sporting team on the GC.

The Suns get a good deal because if they charged the same prices as Skilled park they'd struggle to get 5000, so the Suns have leverage because they suck and no one wants to se them :crazy:

It makes me sick the shabby way we are treated. Our probable new premier barely even knows what State of Origin is, so don't expect help there when QLD places the 'Under new Management' sign up.

Eelectrica

Referee
I believe the AFL contributed something like $13 million to construction of Metricon Stadium. That gives them a better deal, I guess.

If this is true, the when the NRL gets the new deal, it might be an idea for the IC to try and work something out with the Stadiums QLD in relation to part ownership of the stadiums.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting though. If it even enters the IC's mind to do this it will be a long way down on the priority list.

According the to the site Perth Red posted AFL chipped in $10 million of $145 million. Dollars I guess the NRL doesn't have right now even if they wanted to do a similar deal.

Last edited:

Bananabender

Juniors
Skilled Stadium is one of the best stadiums to go and watch a game. Stuffed if I know why they had to even upgrade Carara.
I guess Skilled Park will be used in 2018? when the Commonwealth Games are around.... at least it will look brand new still.

Loudstrat

Coach
The legacy of the Super League war still haunts us - and will do for another 20 years. No money to invest in infrastructure like the AFL have.

The ARLC needs a savings plan

Eelectrica

Referee
How do you work that out?

Tax payer money built the stadium in the first place, now they want to make a profit on it. Therefore paying customers like myself are effectively paying for teh stadium twice.

Prices should be structured to cover the game day/upkeep costs, not to fill government pockets as is currently the case.