What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2023 - Changes to Transfer Rules

Dragon David

First Grade
Interesting article on Foxsports News - Changes to Transfer Rules - particularly this -

“The new process does not involve a ‘cooling off period’,” the spokesman said to News Corp.

“The new negotiation window is for a period of 10 days after a player receives an offer they would be willing to accept from a new club.

“They then have to give their current club a 10 day window to negotiate before they accept the other offer.

“Once the 10 day period ends, the player is free to sign with either club. Players have no obligation to accept an offer from their incumbent club even if it matches the offer from the new club.

Daly Cherry-Evans decision to backflip on his deal with the Titans almost a decade ago caused mass furore and forced the NRL to introduce the cooling off period.
The rule was later scrapped in 2018.

The NRL are also set to crack down on the November 1 deadline, with clubs, players and agents now unable to negotiate before this date.
Previously, negotiations could take place but no contract could be signed until the final year of their existing contract."

Here is the full article -

Open for comment by Forumites.

Parko1310

Juniors
I like how the contract must be submitted to the NRL first before they can approach the incumbent.

They also mention a change that no negotiations until Nov 1. It would be good to know what happens if they do?
I feel like the no negotiations thing won't really do much. Clubs will either break the rules or bend them with that one. They can probably not "negotiate" but still give the player and manager a "ballpark" figure and "potential" inducements without actually "negotiating"

BLM01

First Grade
I like how the contract must be submitted to the NRL first before they can approach the incumbent.

They also mention a change that no negotiations until Nov 1. It would be good to know what happens if they do?
Good luck NRL with you cast of 1000's policing that one. Or is it all in the interpretations of wording similar to your other rules.
PS You may catch 1 or 2 but many you wont.

justadragon

Bench
Ok, when are the Suns going to make the semis?
I'm hearing you Draginzaar, but if you look at what the Suns have been given over the years they should have definitively made the semi's this year. But once again it was their own poor management of the players and probably not the best coach that cruelled them, I think they will be a force with Hardwick there. My point is at least they get the opportunity to get decent young players, not like the NRL where clubs like us have no chance in getting young superstars, plus on top of that they have the trade period. It still matters that you need a very astute GM and recruiting manager, Haran would get slaughtered in the draft and trade period.

Parko1310

Juniors
I'm hearing you Draginzaar, but if you look at what the Suns have been given over the years they should have definitively made the semi's this year. But once again it was their own poor management of the players and probably not the best coach that cruelled them, I think they will be a force with Hardwick there. My point is at least they get the opportunity to get decent young players, not like the NRL where clubs like us have no chance in getting young superstars, plus on top of that they have the trade period. It still matters that you need a very astute GM and recruiting manager, Haran would get slaughtered in the draft and trade period.
You've just given me a nightmare. Haran in a transfer window would be an absolute disaster. Can you imagine how long it'd take him to get a deal done and how much more us missing the boat on players would hurt the club. We'd end with one, maybe two average players and if we're lucky a nice, slightly above average PR signing on deadline day. The thought is frightening

justadragon

Bench
You've just given me a nightmare. Haran in a transfer window would be an absolute disaster. Can you imagine how long it'd take him to get a deal done and how much more us missing the boat on players would hurt the club. We'd end with one, maybe two average players and if we're lucky a nice, slightly above average PR signing on deadline day. The thought is frightening
100% Parko, actually I'd like to see him in that environment and then come out and explain to all the fan base how well he did :)

Latest posts