What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 + other footy shows

Gronk

Staff member
Anasta, Munsters manager on 360 tonight. "Its incredible the amount of money offered to Munster by The Dolphins, on and off the field"
Munster subsequently turned them down.
Legal?
It is legal and has always been the elephant in the room.

From 2022

Third-party agreements​

Given the juggling that needs to be done to fit 30 players under the $9.4 million cap, it’s imperative that players can bolster their income with outside deals, and that’s where the third-party agreement comes in.

Any payment outside a player’s contract is considered a third-party deal and they are not subject to any kind of cap.

According to Faulkner, any deal a player does with one of the game’s sponsors like Telstra or Kayo is uncapped as long as their club has no part in it. Players are also free to wear whatever boots or headgear they choose and can promote those companies.

As a definition, a third-party deal is an agreement between a player and third party. This could be a large corporate company or a small business,” Faulkner said.

“The most common are arm’s length deals which are agreements with companies that have no association to the player’s club and utilises the player in their own IP, not the NRL’s or clubs.

“Another type are game sponsor deals, which are agreements with our major partners such as Telstra and Ampol.

“We also have appearance fees which can be anything from an appearance on The Matty Johns Show, NRL 360 or at the local shopping centre.

TPAs are excluded from the salary cap provided they have no association with the players club and the club did not play a role in sourcing the agreement. If there is a link, it will be included the salary cap.”

Faulkner said the most common misconception about TPA’s is that there’s an endless pool of money for players to dip into.

“The market isn’t as big as people think,” he said. “It only makes up about 3% of the total cap, down from 5.5% in 2018”

“The TPA market crashed during COVID when players couldn’t do appearances and promotions, while a lot of our marquee players (such as Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston) have left the game in recent times.”

King-Gutho94

Coach
Anasta, Munsters manager on 360 tonight. "Its incredible the amount of money offered to Munster by The Dolphins, on and off the field"
Munster subsequently turned them down.
Legal?
Well if i was to look at this in hindsight the Dolphins had a full chequebook & salary cap to spend and needed a marquee player at the time.

I reckon they would have offered Munster close to 1.2 or 1.3mill on the cap per year to lure him north not including TPAs.

The Dolphins also would have had plenty other sponsors in Brisbane lining up to have Munster on Billboards and basically be face of the new franchise. I reckon he would been a smash hit to spark that rivalry between the 2 x Brisbane teams.

Legal or not i reckon Munster could have got close $2mill per year with extras outside the cap if he went the Dolphins. So i am not surprised if that was the case he knocked back a shitload to stay in Melbourne.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Or he didn’t knock back anything to stay in Melbourne

According to Anasta (this made me LOL)

The exact moment Munster knew he wanted to stay in Melbourne was during Penriths 2022 GF win
Said at that point he wanted to stay and win premierships over making lot more money

As believable story as telling a 40yo there really is a tooth fairy

King-Gutho94

Coach
The exact moment Munster knew he wanted to stay in Melbourne was during Penriths 2022 GF win
Said at that point he wanted to stay and win premierships over making lot more money
A shame some of our squad didn't have the same motivation.

One of them was too busy worried about a lousy 4k then being motivated to start 2023 with a bang on the right foot.