What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL, AFL and Union to shutdown for 8 weeks

duck_dodgers

Juniors
Says who? I know the FISA turds want it that way, but what is the bloody need for it?

They are welcome to have their WC here, but not to interfere with the NRL.

are you still banging on about this ?

:BDH:

just accept the fact that you'll never get it because you hate the game of soccer and you can't come to grips with how big this event is or what it would mean to this country . This is why people like Kevin Rudd get elected as prime minister to govern for the whole of Australia and not single issue fanatics .

btw you were asking if other codes in other countries have had to alter their schedules for the WC . Next years RU tri-nations has South Africa playing all away games until the WC finals are finished .

p.s. I still don't think we'll get it .

legend_ss

Juniors
union shouldn't really have a problem that much.
Super 14
Feb - May
Tri nations
july - sept (could be changed to Aug - Oct)
Test Matches
4 in june which can be moved

legend_ss

Juniors
are you still banging on about this ?

:BDH:

just accept the fact that you'll never get it because you hate the game of soccer and you can't come to grips with how big this event is or what it would mean to this country . This is why people like Kevin Rudd get elected as prime minister to govern for the whole of Australia and not single issue fanatics .

btw you were asking if other codes in other countries have had to alter their schedules for the WC . Next years RU tri-nations has South Africa playing all away games until the WC finals are finished .

p.s. I still don't think we'll get it .

thats a bit different as that is international games.
NRL AFL can't go and play away games like that

duck_dodgers

Juniors
thats a bit different as that is international games.
NRL AFL can't go and play away games like that

there's always the bush or NZ ... 8 weeks of development outside the square for 1 season out of 100 seasons ... you'd think it was the end of world FFS .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Out of interest if we did decide to keep the comp running (woud be suicide to try and go up against a WC but...) where could we play games? We could base two teams in non WC areas outside Australia's WC centres so we would need 8 venues. They could play their home games there and also be running clinics etc in the region during the 8 weeks.

How about:

Darwin
Port Moresby
Wellington
Auckland
Christchurch
Rockhampton
Sunshine Coast
Cairns

If they can get stadiums of 8-10,000 ready then it could be done.

Alternatively I'd like to see a shortened season with a 6 nations Pacific cup played mid season with Australia & NZ playing away at all the PI nations, would be a massive shot in the arm for Pacific Isl development.

houdini1

Juniors
1st post in ages.

This World Cup will be huge. It is a billion dollar business, where the whole world is watching. FIFA will not give a rats about some small (in comparison) competition from another code. The NRL would also be committing suicide trying to play at the same time. Get the NRL to play around country centres in the 4 weeks prior to the WC to spread the gospel, and stop the NRL for 4 weeks whilst the World Cup is on. The NRL has more to gain doing this, than trying to compete with the World Cup in relation to exposure and viewers for 4 weeks.

I love both games, and quite frankly that winter would be awesome television footage, but the NRL, and also the AFL, and RU would be extremely short-sighted not to see the benefits the WC brings to Australia.