What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and SL Urged to Add International Roster Spots

yakstorm

First Grade
It's just on the USARL (USARL.org) for anyone keen.

Like the concept, and feel it is something that you could get the NRL to buy into (SL clubs don't really have surplus funds and need to sort out their reserve grade and academy structures first) or even target the next level down and get the NSW & Queensland Cup teams to consider.

Main hurdles that need to be overcome for this are:
  • What types of players are eligible? If this isn't clear, watch clubs use it as a way of getting around the salary cap by signing an American Samoan or Fijian eligible player through this path and calling them an International development player.
  • Who pays? Do the club's need to pay a base wage to these players? Or are the players expected to find work plus make training?
  • Are there any conditions on the players? Such as, if they don't get a contract, how do we ensure that the 12+ months of investment isn't wasted? Do they need to fommit to going back home and playing for at least a season?
  • How are players selected? Do leagues put forward their best? Do the club's pick? Is it a combination? If it is left to the club's, expect some areas like Eastern Europe to be completed ignored.

DlEHARD

Juniors
I'd support this. Helps IRL and helps expand player depth so we can expand the NRL with clubs in Brisbane and Perth.

jim_57

Staff member
It's just on the USARL (USARL.org) for anyone keen.

Like the concept, and feel it is something that you could get the NRL to buy into (SL clubs don't really have surplus funds and need to sort out their reserve grade and academy structures first) or even target the next level down and get the NSW & Queensland Cup teams to consider.

Main hurdles that need to be overcome for this are:
  • What types of players are eligible? If this isn't clear, watch clubs use it as a way of getting around the salary cap by signing an American Samoan or Fijian eligible player through this path and calling them an International development player.
  • Who pays? Do the club's need to pay a base wage to these players? Or are the players expected to find work plus make training?
  • Are there any conditions on the players? Such as, if they don't get a contract, how do we ensure that the 12+ months of investment isn't wasted? Do they need to fommit to going back home and playing for at least a season?
  • How are players selected? Do leagues put forward their best? Do the club's pick? Is it a combination? If it is left to the club's, expect some areas like Eastern Europe to be completed ignored.

Quite like the concept, I'd probably prefer something like this at a junior level, but both if possible.

As for your dot points.
  • You'd be able to counter that concern somewhat with some tightening of rules. Tricky to get around.
  • I'd say the club pays, but minimum wage doesn't count towards the salary cap, if they do decide to pay more then any excess does count.
  • I wouldn't think there would need to be any conditions, if a player isn't resigned then they can search oppurtunities as they see fit.
  • I'd imagine NRL clubs would raid the Pacific & Super League clubs would raid France but that would still be a good result. I'd like to see RLIF investment go in to a good junior international structure to geg these kids in the spotlight.
I think this would be great at Under 20 level, players signed under the age of 20 are always going to have more of a 'chance' of actually making it than open age players. I fear if this was bought in for the full NRL squad most NRL clubs would fulfill their quota but just have those players play in park footy because there is too much work to be done.

Under 20 means they can play them in juniors and have more time to shape them in to first graders over the course of a few years.

siv

First Grade
Sounds like they want a Manchester City - Melbourne City soccer style arrangement

Perth Red

Post Whore
Didn't UK try this? Seem to remember some USA and Russian players playing in SL (or equivalent) at one time.

If they wanted to deal with drain on players when NRL expands they could offer cap discounts on Union converts and international players for first 3 years of their contracts up to a certain amount to get more players into NRL to cover the two new teams drain on squads.

deluded pom?

Coach
Didn't UK try this? Seem to remember some USA and Russian players playing in SL (or equivalent) at one time.

If they wanted to deal with drain on players when NRL expands they could offer cap discounts on Union converts and international players for first 3 years of their contracts up to a certain amount to get more players into NRL to cover the two new teams drain on squads.
I don't think a Russian or American has ever played SL. By American I mean a born and bred American.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think a Russian or American has ever played SL. By American I mean a born and bred American.

Remember “2 scoops”, a contestant in gladiators! playing for keighley cougars in trial lol.
Might have been a few “an others” on the squad list as well back in the day

deluded pom?

Coach
Remember “2 scoops”, a contestant in gladiators! playing for keighley cougars in trial lol.
Might have been a few “an others” on the squad list as well back in the day
Not sure how old you are PR but the Dobbins had a couple of Yanks on their books in the early 1980s. Pat Kelly and Tim Anchors. I don’t think they ever played a first team game though.

Latest posts