What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL ban Aboriginal flag

bluey

Bench
Because they have been solidly victimised for 200 years? Read some history and current affairs.

They're not the only ones, but the only ones in my country.

Hang out with some Aboriginal people, spend a day with them. Watch how people of all colours treat them. See people cross the street to avoid them.
A friend of mine would get asked if he was on his way to court when he wore a suit for work.

Do you have to list your ethnic heritage on a job or government application?

I suppose they should just shut up and go away?

I think most people just want a level playing field and it is not at present, every one should be equal no special treatment.

_Johnsy

Referee
God forbid players promote the game to other countries and cultures

Coaster,

I am curious how this is so. How is he promoting the game to different culture or countries by having a small flag on his headgear ? Interested to see what you actually meant with the above quote.

Loudstrat

Coach
Because they have been solidly victimised for 200 years? Read some history and current affairs.

They're not the only ones, but the only ones in my country.

Hang out with some Aboriginal people, spend a day with them. Watch how people of all colours treat them. See people cross the street to avoid them.
A friend of mine would get asked if he was on his way to court when he wore a suit for work.

Do you have to list your ethnic heritage on a job or government application?

I suppose they should just shut up and go away?

I hear ya Drakey. Stolen generation etc - terrible past.

However, a few days ago I was in Walgett, and enquired at the tourist info centre about how to get to the junction of the Barwon and Namoi Rivers. I was told that, despite numerous attempts at getting access to the site, the owners kept denying it. Someone's farm, I thought. Fair enough.

"Oh no, it's the mission". Meaning the colour of my skin denies me access and nothing else. That's racism.

I support Preston's desire to display his heritage on his headgear. A southern cross will do. You are Australian, are you not Preston?

Bulldog Force

Referee
I think if the player can wear his choice in shoes (eg colour, style etc...) then there should not be a problem with his headgear. Next the NRL will ban Aboriginal tats.

Loudstrat

Coach
southern cross has fast become the 'redneck' tattoo symbol for bogans.

its on utes and a lot of anglo youths bodies.

presto stay proud

Utes and anglo youths a not necessarily bogans you stupid pothead. You may be mistaken for the Eureka flag, which isn't the southern cross. The cross happens to be on the national flag, you know, the one for all australians???

t1tan

Juniors
Utes and anglo youths a not necessarily bogans you stupid pothead. You may be mistaken for the Eureka flag, which isn't the southern cross. The cross happens to be on the national flag, you know, the one for all australians???
Is that the national flag that has the union jack on it,a symbol of another country?

B-dos

Referee
good decision by the NRL. its ridiculous to think players should be able to plaster silly flags or other logos on headgear or anywhere else.

thank goodness common sense has prevailed on this one.

hrundi99

First Grade
Yes, 36 years old is very young.

There are plenty of naive 36 yos mate.

Read the posts, you condescending clown. Do you think people get what Indigenous people go through, or what has been done to them? Have a look at this f**kwit's post:

A few ignorant people posting on here doesn't change the fact that the majority of people understand.

shinobi

Juniors
Its already been pointed out Louis Anderson had a Tongan flag on his headgear. Im sure i remember some player having a mouth guard with an Aboriginal flag on it. I dont see the problem here? So its wrong to be proud of your heritage? Maybe we should get all the Maori/Tongan/Samoans to cover up their moko/tattoo for advertising their heritage.

bluey

Bench

Great post

As someone noted, the example of African-Americans. They worked their asses off for equality. In Australia, very large groups of Aboriginals are content to live off the shortcuts and welfare that the government offers them based on the sole reason that they are Aboriginal and not repay the rest of society for those assistances and/or benefits.

African Americans do not have equality in America. Aboriginals are not content to live off the government, I dare say many of them are not content at all.

Personally, I don't think the NRL should have done anything about this. The only way this would get media is by banning it. Now they come across as looking like rule-obsessed kill joys.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No harm in it, white Australia needs to find a way to integrate and support indigineous Australia better. Sport can be a massive vehicle for that. In fact if anything I would love to see all players have the flag of their origins on their shirt shoulder, would show how our game accepts people regardless of colour or creed.