What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL CEO committed to expansion!

Perth Red

Post Whore
ARLC CEO Dave Smith takes first swipe at AFL

Chris Garry
The Courier-Mail
February 18, 2013 12:00AM

NRL chief executive Dave Smith says rugby league can emerge from the drugs scandal as Australia's national sport because unlike the AFL, his code is "about tomorrow not yesterday".

Welshman Smith, who became an Australian citizen late last week, travelled to the Sunshine Coast on the weekend for a question and answer session with 200 of the game's volunteers.

He spoke eloquently of league's potential and repeatedly stated he envisioned the code becoming national.

Smith also lined up the NRL's major contender for a national footprint - the AFL.

"I want us to be the No.1 game in Australia. I think it is wholly achievable," Smith said at the Queensland Rugby League's annual conference.

"Look, I don't want to make too many comparisons to the AFL.

"I look at the things they (AFL) have done that are good and I think we can far exceed what they have done because we are about tomorrow not yesterday.

"With the athletes we have and the game we have ... the sky is the limit."

The Australian Crime Commission's explosive report dominated the volunteers' questions.

Smith said it would be months before their investigation was formalised and stressed the NRL was very restricted in how it could respond to the report.

Smith met Aurora Andruska, the chief executive of Australia's Sports Anti-Doping Authority, last Friday and the pair will have weekly meetings from now on.

Smith revealed he wanted the NRL to expand from its current 16 teams.

Last year, the ARL Commission reaped a $1.2 billion five-year broadcast deal without a need to add extra teams and ARLC chairman John Grant put expansion at the bottom of the code's priorities.

Consortiums from across the country, including groups in Brisbane, Ipswich, Perth and the NSW Central Coast, were gutted by the decision after spending years formulating their proposed clubs.

Smith however said his desire to make the game national required new clubs be established.

"Expansion is definitely something I want to see. This game should be more national," Smith said.

"We have to think about expansion soon. The Commission is committed to expansion.

"The foundation needs to be right though.

"We have set up the platform. It is poised like never before but it needs a different approach and perspective and I hope I can bring that.

"The strategy that John Grant laid out is terrific. There's a great vision and My job is to make it a reality."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rst-swipe-at-afl/story-e6frexnr-1226579799653

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder if having signed all the deals and now realising how much money they have they have had a rethink on affordability of expansion and plan to move it forward?

The Great Dane

First Grade
I like Smithy, he's a dreamer like me and he has big plans for RL in this country and maybe the world (like me), but there is a big difference between Smithy and myself and that is that he has the power to make his dreams a reality.

He seems to truly want what is best for the game, and It doesn't look like he has an agenda either which is good. I might be being a little bit optimistic but I think that RL is headed for some good times under Smithy.

Clarke

Juniors
Is the entire world against Bunniesman? (Of whatever his name is)

I just read the article and see I've been beaten in posting it up.

Independence + a non-restricted CEO without outside thinking = success!!!

BuffaloRules

Coach
17th team Perth to join 2015 ( the announcement should be made by mid 2013).

18th team ( the winning team selected by the ARLC after a proper and transparent tender process) to join the comp in time for the new TV deal commencing 2018...

You know it makes sense!

Someone

Bench
comp has room for 4 more teams imo.

regardless of when they come in, i feel these teams must be Perth, NZ2, Brisbane2 and adelaide.

Perth will be ready first.

BuffaloRules

Coach
ah weekly Byes?!?! stuff that.

For a couple of years yes...

It has happened before (just recently) and the comp seemed to get by Ok...

It also helps to offset the huge spikes in player payments to stagger the entry of the teams as only one new team at a time throws the kitchen sink at marquee players coming off contract...

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
17th team Perth to join 2015 ( the announcement should be made by mid 2013).

18th team ( the winning team selected by the ARLC after a proper and transparent tender process) to join the comp in time for the new TV deal commencing 2018...

You know it makes sense!

Yep, have that 9th game as a 4th F2A game ready by 2015 or 2016 and come the next broadcast deal they'll be raking in the cash.

Everyone benefits.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/nrl-chief-growth-is-on-table/1760649/

NRL chief: Growth of game is on the table

Joel Gould
19th Feb 2013 8:10 AM
Updated: 2:00 PM

THE Western Corridor NRL bid remains in play after NRL chief executive David Smith said expansion of the competition was back on the table.

Mr Smith told Queensland Rugby League annual conference delegates that "expansion is definitely something I want to see" and added that it needed to be reconsidered sooner rather than later.

His words were music to the ears of Western Corridor NRL bid boss Steve Johnson.

Expansion seemed to be on the backburner late last year when the Australian Rugby League Commission announced the new broadcast rights, which had made no allowance for extra teams.

"David is saying that the game needs to expand, which is a lot stronger that commission chairman John Grant's previous statement that expansion was a low priority and would be considered loosely at the end of 2014," Mr Johnson said.

"It is a big step forward. I would like to think he made comments after considering the whole of the game and commission's view."

Mr Johnson has received calls from key figures within the game in recent weeks telling him to keep plugging away with his bid and that expansion "isn't dead and buried".

"It is just a question of when it will occur," he said.

"I have sent an email to the NRL asking them what they require from us at this point of time.

"But when the game expands, we will be ready to be part of it."

Federal Member for Blair Shayne Neumann, who has supported the Western Corridor bid in Parliament, said it was time the region had a team. He had one message for the NRL.

"Stop giving us the flick and give us the tick," he said.

Have you checked out the Western Corridor bid Facebook page?

FMD.

Biggest bunch of f**king whingers ever.

You'd think Sydney/NSW RL was Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot and every other bastard rolled in to one.