What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Coach Options

Magpies Forever

Juniors
With Sheens still at the club, as Director of Coaching I presume and as such would have to be on the recruitment subcommittee for the new coach, the search for a new coach will be interesting.

Whoever gets the gig will need to be able to stand up to Sheens. Will be interesting to be a fly on the wall during those interviews and negotiations. Bet some of the previous names mentioned will withdraw their interest in these circumstances

moller

Juniors
If Sheens does accept that role, no doubt we'll be saddled with Simmons, perhaps Fitzhenry as his assistant.

Hooch

Juniors
No experienced or secure coach will even consider it until the whole Sheens thing is sorted one way or another. Which will take a while.

Even a rookie may baulk at this mess.

Good work Humpty.

Fordy20

Juniors
Good work Humpty.

Indeed! Congratulations are in order. Humphreys done what was sorely needed at Tigers HQ, namely, getting Sheens out of the head coaching position. He has also managed to do so without getting himself sacked. The next head coach will have what every other employee has in their contract: KPIs.

If Humphreys re-signs Farah then I expect a few more people to be showing their appreciation of Humphreys.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Can someone assure me that Royce Simmons is now out of the picture? While no coach has been named is he still linked to the club in any capacity? There was talk of him coming back under Sheens but now Sheens is gone he will not be considered as an option for head coach will he?

I was initially keen on Folkes because of his previous links to the club but I have been doing a bit of reading and I am now warming to Daniel Anderson...he is a new broom so to speak. I just hope they name someone quick who will get the players to gel and perhaps interest other off contract players to the club. There has to be a star quality to the new coach.

Please not Royce!!!!

BrotherJim05

Bench
As we have alot of young talent coming through I reckon give the FG coaching job to Todd Payten. Kids like Woods, Kirotebe, Tedesco, Simona, BMM, Miller, Nuofala would all grow fantastically under Payten. He may not have the experience yet but I think he's as good as any of these other choices and he bleeds Tiger's blood.
It would also work well with Sheens if he moves to the coaching director job. They already have enormous respect for eachother which would help bring this team back to what it can be.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
SUPER LEAGUE coach of the year Michael Potter has expressed an interest in the vacant Wests Tigers job after returning home to Australia.
Potter, who was yesterday voted the best coach in Super League by his peers at rival clubs after his efforts with Bradford this year, turned down an offer from the Bulls' new owners and wants a job in the NRL.
While yet to speak to anyone at the Tigers since the club decided last week to move Tim Sheens into a different role, Potter said he would be keen to do so if there was a chance he could get the coaching job.
''If I am asked I would certainly go and talk to the people at Wests Tigers,'' Potter told the Herald. ''They play a good brand of footy and it would be a good opportunity. There is no point throwing your hat in the ring if you are not asked because jobs aren't like that in rugby league, I don't think. But if they wanted to talk to me I would be happy to do so.''
Advertisement
After seven years in charge of Catalans, St Helens and Bradford, Potter feels he has something to offer as an NRL coach but would consider an assistant's role.
''I would like to think there are some jobs around, even as an assistant,'' he said. ''The NRL is the premier competition and if I can get an opportunity to help someone out I will do it.''
''I have been coaching since 1997 [at Illawarra] so it has been a while. I like doing it and without boasting I think I am quite good, and I have got a couple of little niches that I think I am very good at.
''I think I am able to get the best out of players and improve them individually. I think I have shown that in the years I have been over in England and France.''
After being appointed as Catalans foundation coach in 2006, Potter steered the Perpignan-based club to the Challenge Cup final the following season and third place in Super League in 2008.
He also took St Helens to successive grand finals in 2009 and 2010 and missed the play-offs this season with Bradford only because the club was docked six points for being placed into administration.
''I just need an opportunity and for someone to say, 'You're the bloke to take us forward','' Potter said.
''I don't think I have left a team in worse shape than when I started.''
The Herald has been told a sub-committee appointed last week is still preparing of short list of candidates, while reviewing other positions on the Tigers coaching staff - including a role for Sheens.
Parramatta-bound assistant Matt Parish, Sydney Roosters under-20s coach Jason Taylor and Melbourne deputy Kevin Walters have also been linked to the job.
Meanwhile, former Melbourne and Manly halfback Matt Orford is also looking for a coaching position within the NRL.
Orford, who did not play this year after an injury-ravaged season with Canberra last year, has done his level-two coaching certificate and was involved in a playmakers academy organised by Phil Gould for elite Penrith juniors.

LINK Surely worth an interview.

SharkShocked

Bench
"There is no point throwing your hat in the ring if you are not asked because jobs aren't like that in rugby league, I don't think. But if they wanted to talk to me I would be happy to do so.''

Sorry but how is a newspaper article making them aware that he would be happy to take the job not throwing his hat in the ring?

Makes you wonder if this guy has ever applied for a job in his life!what would it hurt to throw your hat into the ring? even if you dont get the job at least you know where you stand.I like the sound of Potter,apart from serving his time in the UK and doing well his credentials look superior to the others being mentioned for the job,his appointment would also eliminate the element of cronyism that has crept into our club causing division and unrest.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
This dearth of public activity on the replacement for Sheens now shows how dependent the WT management were on him getting that darn Warriors coaching position. This saga is now gragging on and on. The ceo / board / Sheens are conitnuing to make choices in player retention asnd recruitment that in all fairness should eb made by the new incoming coach. To use a horse racing term, the successor coach will be badly handicapped in weighted saddlebags by these decisons over which he has had no input for the 2013 season.

In hindsight, how much easier would things have been if there were KPI's in the contract Humphreys signed with Sheens in 2011 or they had got it in writing when Sheens apparently declared at the start fo the year he would walk if WT did not make the finals this year.

Results if either or both of these items had been in place? With WestsTigers performance over the last few games in the season, much earlier decisions made, Sheens could have earlier looked for new job, earlier approaches and decisions could have been made for successor coach and overrall a much cleaner solution than the mess we are in now.

I'm really getting worried. I hope there is some certainty this week with decisons made and announced but the longer this drags on we are looking like gooses.

I wonder if Farah is being sounded out as captain-coach role for 2013 to cover us until 2014 season if we cant get a bargain basement priced coach (just joking)

super_coach

First Grade
A lot will depend on what Sheens decides to do, with Bellemy out of the Warriors race he is back in the frame for the job their.

I hope they are looking at a coach for a few years and not a stop gap coach for one year. Theirs a lot of talk about Potter, I would still like Anderson or Brown. Anyway we should know by friday next week, than the place will start jumping again

WT are waiting to see what the Warriors are doing,hopefully they will take Sheens,ending the burden of paying him out or having him hanging about looking over the new coaches shoulder.

nrlnrl

First Grade
for what it's worth, Mole from RLW reckons Mick Potter as head coach with Royce Simmons & Steve Georgallis as assistants.

Latest posts