What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Draft back on the agenda

Smug Panther

First Grade
It ain't rocket science. And you don't need a national comp. It could work just like it does now. Teams do their best to scout young talent and they could have a drafting strategy for how they evaluate who is best when their pick comes up.

As for clubs investing in youth, the answer is in the AFL draft system: teams like the Swans get draft concessions for NSW players they have developed in their academy. The Lions in Queensland etc. Teams can move up in the draft if necessary to get one of their "juniors.'

So adapting it to the NRL, a club like Penrith could still get the best junior in their system, they just wouldn't be able to horde a whole generation of players
I know it's silly to respond to one of the all time best trolls on LU but our talent IS being spread around already

Colk

First Grade
My club's

It is starting to yeah. It inevitably does because young players want opportunity and it is hard to crack into your side.

If there ever was a draft (I’m not a proponent of it by any means) you would have to make it a whole lot better than the wooden spooner = first draft pick. It’s boring and it also rewards mediocrity.

Unfortunately I don’t trust the game to come up with anything good enough.

Iamback

Coach
Panthers lost arguably the best 18 year old 7. So the system works now, You just need incentive for more teams to develop instead of paying overs

BunniesMan

Immortal
I know it's silly to respond to one of the all time best trolls on LU but our talent IS being spread around already
Bit rich from the team winning back to back and favourites to go for a 3peat. You've horded all the top tier talent. Other clubs getting the occasional second tier player isn't "spread around."

Colk

First Grade
Burton,Capewell, Api and Kikau are rep stars and make every side in the NRL. Also wait and see how good Katoa will be for the Phins

I have heard about this Katoa kid. Isn’t he a half? Milford hasn’t played a good game for a while so he might be a shot

anjado

Juniors
Every team in the NRL are capable of doing what Penrith, Souths and the Cowboys have done. They are just doing a crap job with junior development.

A draft would be the dumbest shittest idea in the history of the game genuinely worse than super league.

Colk

First Grade
Every team in the NRL are capable of doing what Penrith, Souths and the Cowboys have done. They are just doing a crap job with junior development.

A draft would be the dumbest shittest idea in the history of the game genuinely worse than super league.

That’s a very very big call. League has made some absolute horrible decisions in its time

Agree it's ridiculous. Professional sporting teams should be aiming to win every game.

At least the fluffy PR team at the Tigers in Pascoe and the Bryden's lawyer chairman could sell to there members they have a top 3 draft pick every season. They like selling hope and delivering SFA.

“watch the stars of tomorrow find their feet before they crack the shits and leave the circus”

Munky

Coach
“watch the stars of tomorrow find their feet before they crack the shits and leave the circus”

Or gets destroyed physically.

The best young halfback goes to a team with a terrible pack.

Spends three years getting trampled since they're being forced to play by a desperate coach and front office. The best career move a half can make is to take slight unders to ensure the second rower inside them is the type of player who will belt merkins who run near them.

Look what happened in the NFL with Trevor Lawrence last year and Justin Fields this year. It's hard to gauge talent when a player is literally going to the worst coaching and roster in a league.

Why anybody would ever want to be the number one pick is beyond me.

Last edited:

forby

Juniors
Katoa is a development player. He can't play NRL until 2024.
Why would a club bother to develop players like Pentith does just to get one player in a draft? Doesn't work! Besides the NRLPA would never agree to a draft and it has already been proven illegal in court.

Colk

First Grade
Katoa is a development player. He can't play NRL until 2024.
Why would a club bother to develop players like Pentith does just to get one player in a draft? Doesn't work! Besides the NRLPA would never agree to a draft and it has already been proven illegal in court.

They wouldn’t and no club will. That’s the point of a draft. An overall body, not the clubs, would have to look after player development.

My biggest gripe is that a draft would have to be the tanking thing. If somebody could come up with a draft order that is not just based on ladder position than it might be worthwhile.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
The sooner the better imo
Drafts go hand in hand with salary cap leagues, the salary cap isn’t aimed at spreading the talent, they’ll tell you it is, but any role is plays in spreading talent is purely coincidental. It goal is to cap wage and ensure clubs can’t spend themselves into going broke, which is a good thing

the even talent, and do so in a way that still reward good teams and good management and provide parity, that’s what a cap does

if you’re worried about tanking, there are measures you can put in place, draft lotteries like the NBA or put rules in place that deny a club from getting 2 top 5 picks in consecutive years… these are easy fixes

if you’re worried about good teams not being rewarded, go and look at us leagues with drafts… bad teams with bad management continue to be bad and good teams with good talent scouts and systems somehow always manage to find value in drafts

the biggest issue with a draft is as per above, how you handle the player development prior to a player being drafted. It won’t be done by the clubs, it would have to be done by the governing body itself

I would suggest a national high school/state competition that clubs draft out of. 16-17 year olds, so year 11-12 kids… keeps them in school then clubs can draft them and develop them through their flegg and reserve grade squads up till fg.